Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

We're you allowed to pick the day for your ELCS?

(22 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Fri 10-Nov-17 21:11:27

I'm just curious as my due date is on a Sunday so the midwife said it'll be done at 39 weeks and the closest working day. That will be the Monday but I REALLY don't want it on that monday due to personal reasons about this date.
Do you get given an option? In an ideal world itd be the Friday or even the Tuesday, but the hospital I'm having the baby at is not where I'm having any scans or consultant apts so I've been told I'll just receive a letter with my date.
Any experience of choosing your day?!
I know if it was a natural birth I may not have avoided it but I'm just curious as to where I'd stand.
Thanks

WhyTheHeckMe Fri 10-Nov-17 21:15:38

Title should say "were" not "we're" blush

Nan0second Fri 10-Nov-17 21:17:48

At our hospital, you can request a date (or to avoid a particular date) if you talk to the booking coordinator.
We can't guarantee it but do try to accommodate as long as it still puts you over 38 weeks.

confusedwife84 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:21:01

I was 39 weeks on the Friday, but they said I could have in on the following Monday/Tuesday but risked going into natural labour...but yes decision was mine, as long as I was atleast 39 weeks, not before

kezsha Fri 10-Nov-17 21:22:10

At my local hospital , ELCS are only done on a Thursday !

FrayedHem Fri 10-Nov-17 21:28:41

I wasn't given a choice of days. I think they had certain days they tried to book them in on and I know mine was booked for a Thursday when I was 39+3. I actually went into labour the day before and I was the only birth they'd had that day.

Suzysuz Fri 10-Nov-17 21:29:41

My hospital only did planned sections on Tues and Thurs, no choice as they were so busy and just scheduled in a vacant slot.

dramallamakarma Fri 10-Nov-17 21:37:09

I could chose Mon, Weds or Fri for my CS so it depends when your hospital does them I guess.

Lules Fri 10-Nov-17 21:37:41

No. It was hard enough being fitted in and I also got bumped til the next day due to emergencies so the date you are given may not be the final date.

AppleKatie Fri 10-Nov-17 21:40:36

I could choose from the Mon/Wed/Fri of my 39th week - with the proviso that you can still get 'bumped' for emergencies. I chose the Mon for that reason and fortunately (just) got it done on that day.

Lules Fri 10-Nov-17 21:42:31

Out of interest does anyone know how many their hospital did per day? Mine was usually 3 (2 morning, 1 afternoon), sometimes 4.

dramallamakarma Fri 10-Nov-17 21:47:06

@Lules 2 ELCS per day at mine. First one in at 8am, ideally so both ladies only miss one meal.

Of course emergencies can change that confused

flumpybear Fri 10-Nov-17 21:49:28

For me it was agreed,Tuesday at 39+6 as consultant was in that day and she and s agreed we’d ensure delivery by 40 weeks

thisagain Fri 10-Nov-17 21:54:14

For my first ELCS I was told that I would be delivered at 38 weeks. This took me to my birthday. However, this wasn't available so the consultant said he would deliver the day before, so I would atleast have had the baby by my birthday! There was obviously a degree of flexibility.

DearTeddyRobinson Fri 10-Nov-17 21:56:12

I was given a choice of any day of the 39th week - busy London teaching hospital, multiple sections per day I think.
I chose 39+1 to avoid DC being born on February 29th!

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:57:25

I picked the date of both my c sections

Only by a day in each case so i dont know how far i would have been allowed to go

TakeMe2Insanity Sat 11-Nov-17 05:54:37

Busy London teaching hospital, just before Christmas all planned slots had gone. After ages waiting the consultant came back with one date. We took it.

NamesNamesAndMoreNames Sat 11-Nov-17 07:43:57

We booked mine in this week and we discussed dates. She allowed me to choose within reason - do you want x or y. So I didn't get to dictate but I did get a little bit of choice. Possibly just because it's around Christmas though, I could either have it just before Xmas or just after.

LumpySpaceCow Sat 11-Nov-17 07:56:59

Yeah I choose what day I wanted at my 36 weeks appointment with the doctor. Large hospital though. From previous experience they seem to do 3/4 electives per day.

WhyTheHeckMe Sat 11-Nov-17 09:01:26

Okay thanks also it's great to know there may be a small degree of flexibility. Did any of you have your babies at heartlands in bham? Thanks again

WrittenandGrown Sat 11-Nov-17 15:44:23

My BF had her second by Elective Section at Heartlands. She didn't get a choice, it's a busy place. All the best.

Princessdebthe1st Sat 11-Nov-17 16:06:10

If you have a choice I would avoid a Friday as there are fewer staff around at the weekend for the post op care. Good luck OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: