Talk

Advanced search

Folic acid advice

(12 Posts)
WhyteKnyght Fri 10-Nov-17 11:56:31

Just started TTC and been reading the NHS dietary advice about taking folic acid every day. I have major issues swallowing pills, and in fact have never managed to do it successfully (I use children's liquid painkillers or those dissolving ones if I need them as I can't swallow standard pills or capsules).

Has anyone else had this difficulty and if so, how did you get round it? I'm wondering if it's OK to crush the folic acid tablets up in food or just chew them, or whether there are other formulas out there like powder or liquid suspensions that you can get?

MrsJayy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:00:24

Folic acid is tiny if i remember right but you can get it in liquid form they are drops vitabiotic do them

mindutopia Fri 10-Nov-17 12:01:41

There are some chewable pregnancy vitamins. Most I've seen tend to be U.S. brands, but you may find them on Amazon or you may just need to spend the money on shipping to import them. There is also a Pregnacare liquid, which I would assume has both folic acid and vitamin d (which you also need), so that might be your best bet.

AprilShowers16 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:03:03

Have you tried with the folic acid tablets themselves rather than the pregnancy tablets? The actual folic acid tablets are tiny, sometimes if I forget a drink I just put them on a piece of toast or mash potato and swallow the without even noticing. Similarly once you're pregnant the vit D ones are tiny too

RavingRoo Fri 10-Nov-17 12:06:41

Vitabiotics sells liquid pregnacare. Has folic acid and a few extras to help ttc

MrsJayy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:07:28

Yes if you buy just folic acid from the chemist they really are tiny the branded tablets tend to be huge not sure why ?

WhyteKnyght Fri 10-Nov-17 12:11:40

Thank you so much! That's a massive relief: I was really worried about how I was going to manage. We only started TTC last night (complete snap decision) so I will go in to a Boots store and look for these various options. The Vitabiotics drops or the Pregnacare liquid sound like good bets, but if the tablets are really so minuscule then I will have a look at them in case. I've never found a tablet I could successfully swallow before, though, as I chew everything to powder before swallowing it (it's an intense fear of choking, I think).

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision to TTC so really grateful for the advice: I was a bit afraid I'd just get lots of "get over yourself and just swallow the tablets" type replies. Thanks!

MrsJayy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:22:06

I have a swallowing tablets thing I have a ritual for taking them it seems a ridiculous thing but it is very real mine stems from an op i had in my 20s it seemed i was on w million pills and i started to reject them. anyway good luck withttc and get started on the pre vitamins ☺

WhyteKnyght Fri 10-Nov-17 12:29:23

Does the ritual work for you, MrsJayy? What do you do? I would love any tips for getting past this issue, it's so annoying!

Located the liquid on Boots' website and going to a store tomorrow morning to get it. smile

MrsJayy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:34:48

I put the pill on the counter put the packet away pour a fizzy drink put the pill on tip of my tongue further back i gag big drink and away it goes, i can't take pills in front of people either somy family know i need peace.

RavingRoo Fri 10-Nov-17 13:05:48

I take a sip of water and then while the water is in my mouth tip the tablet in and swallow. I can’t swallow in any other way. Have bought loads of pregnacare but as the liquid looks cheaper will buy that as soon as they’re rone.

BigBaboonBum Fri 10-Nov-17 13:49:29

My friend used to crush hers up and put it in her cereal or smoothie or something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now