Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I cannot stand my daughters' smell

(23 Posts)
NotBurpeesAgain Fri 10-Nov-17 11:53:06

Hi everyone. I am in my 10th week and I am horribly sick (I have lost 17lb in 3 weeks).
What really bothers me at the moment is that I cannot stand the smell of DD1 (8) and DD2 (5). They smell to me a bit like a dirty fridge sad. If they breathe in my face I am immediatly sick.
10-year-old DS does not seem to stink more than usual wink.
Is this some evolutionary mechanism to detach a pregnant mother from her other children? I feel terrible when I have to pull away from a hug.

Notalitigator Fri 10-Nov-17 11:54:14

I had this with DP when pregnant. I use to feel awful. No idea why this happens though so interested in any responses.

Shehz21 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:57:05

Suffering from hyperemesis here and couldn't stand DH breathing anywhere near my face until 16weeks. It was utterly heart shattering to have to always warn him about staying away as he is a cuddle bear but didn't have no choice. It will hopefully go away soon. Our sense of smell is heightened in pregnancy so I am guessing it's quite normal.

thepatchworkcat Fri 10-Nov-17 11:57:25

I’ve had that this week with DS, he’s been smelling weird, have to hold my breath when I kiss or hug him sad Asked DH to stop giving him houmous too, that wasn’t helping!

2018babyonboard Fri 10-Nov-17 11:57:32

This was my first pregnancy issue before I even knew I was pregnant, I took my daughter swimming and her head smelt like cheese it was gross that I got out of the pool. I kept bathing her and even took her to the dr cus I thought she was ill but no one else could smell it! No idea why it happened but it went after a few weeks. Sorry not helpful but so thankful someone else experienced this.

FlaviaAlbia Fri 10-Nov-17 12:00:03

They're not coming down with something are they? DS sometimes smells a bit strange to me before he comes down with a bug or virus. More general smell than breath though.

Sarahjconnor Fri 10-Nov-17 12:00:15

I had this. Don't feel guilty you can't help it. I found sucking ice really helped and kept a cut lemon in a glass near me at all times as it cut thru rank smells. I was very very clear that it was my problem and I was ill, but I couldn't cope. It carried on whole pregnancy but stopped immediately afterwards.

NotBurpeesAgain Fri 10-Nov-17 12:09:34

Thank you. It makes me feel a little bit less awful.
I am going to practise holding my breath for the next few months.

strawberrypenguin Fri 10-Nov-17 12:22:34

Not with my family but there was one member of my staff that smelt very strongly to me while I was pg. I didn’t say anything just didn’t stand too close which you can’t exactly do with your kids! (Nothing up with staff member by the way she was perfectly clean and doesn’t smell now I’m not pg)

Manctart Fri 10-Nov-17 13:00:13

I don't have any dc but my dh's aftershave has started knocking me sick since becoming pregnant. I don't think it's a massive confidence boost for him when I retch as the enters the room! No helpful advice though I'm afraid sad hope it doesn't continue for too long for you xx

thingymaboob Fri 10-Nov-17 13:25:43

Hyperemesis here too. Smells are overwhelming!! Don't feel
Too bad.

DeadDoorpost Fri 10-Nov-17 16:32:35

Another Hyperemesis sufferer (lost 35lbs in 7 weeks so kniw exactly how you're feeling) and DH smelled just as bad. As did the food cupboard,the bathroom, the fridge, outside the flat... I could smell the flowers from across the road so distinctly that I threw up. It's ridiculous. It did however get better around week 14 or so..

user1499786242 Tue 14-Nov-17 13:28:30

My little boys breath used to be so sweet and lush
Now it's vile
I think it's the smell of the changing breastmilk
It turns my stomach 😩😩
Feel awful but I just can't stand it!

bettydraper31 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:27:50

First baby my poor hubby stank, IMO. This time around it was my daughter, just opening her bedroom door in the morning used to set me off! Both cleared up once the sickness subsided around 12 weeks luckily. But I understand some sickness carries on for longer so hope it clears up for you soon x

Ecureuil Tue 14-Nov-17 18:41:02

I couldn’t go near DH for the first 12 weeks, I swear his pores seeped onion and garlic.

thepatchworkcat Thu 16-Nov-17 13:55:11

Ugh I got too close to DH earlier today and it made me puke 😳 He’d not even been eating anything offensive or sweating or anything, it’s just like I can’t cope with the smell of any other humans!

AnUtterIdiot Thu 16-Nov-17 14:28:13

Oh no I think this is normal. I wasn't hyperemetic but I had terrible food aversions that were all smell based and I did have this a bit with my husband. It was only mild so I was able to put up with it without telling him about it. It made me really sad as I usually love his smell. But everything went back to normal around 14-15 weeks smell wise (the nausea continued a bit longer but was over by around 18 weeks).

DaisyDukesShorts Thu 16-Nov-17 14:31:13

Smells were very triggering for me when pg with dc2, but it got better as the pregnancy progressed.

Anatidae Thu 16-Nov-17 14:32:04

I had hg and I had the most extreme sense of smell. Someone down the corridor unpeeled an orange and I could smell it.

Ohyesiam Thu 16-Nov-17 14:35:53

I had this with my poor Dp. If he breathed on me I was sick. And the smell of his weeenvyenvyenvy( so not envy).

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Thu 16-Nov-17 14:43:36

I got it with logical things like cigarette smoke. Never with my own children! confused There was a man on the bus who smelt of piss though, I puked up as soon as I got off. 😷

Loosemoose28 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:30:48

My poor OH. He just stank. 18 weeks now and he smells normal againgrin

He stank to me up to about 15 weeks. Worse if he had eaten red meat. If he had been drinking I couldnt stand being in same room. He slept in the livingroom after a rugby night out, couldnt go in there in the morning blurgh.

Hannabee123 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:33:15

My dogs setting me off. Absolutely stinks vile and no one else can smell it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now