Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Complete Placenta Previa

(10 Posts)
SammyL100 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:38:25

I am writing on behalf of my sister who is 20 weeks. She had a private scan at 18 weeks 3 days and was told all was fine but she had a low placenta which would probably move up itself.

A week later she had her NHS scan and was told she had complete placenta previa, her os was blocked and she should avoid strenuous activities.

She's confused that one scan nothing really was mentioned, the other she was told to restrict her activities.

She is terrified she will bleed and go into premature labour (as it is complete previa) and as the hospital just booked her in for a scan at 32 weeks she's not sure how much risk she is at.

Would anyone have any advice?

LapinR0se Fri 10-Nov-17 11:48:01

Yes I had complete placenta previa in my first pregnancy.
She needs to do the following:
No sex
No lifting anything heavier than 5kg
No strenuous physical activity
No flights
Keep hospital notes with her at all times
Try and stay within 20 mins drive of her hospital

I know that all sounds terrifying but they are precautions. I had a straightforward c section at 37 + 5, no bleeding and no complications.

Shehz21 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:49:50

I was told at my 20 week scan couple of days ago that I had a low placenta and was booked in for a 32 weeks scan. It is a case of complete placenta previa as well but I wasn't given any guidelines about limiting strenous activities. But since this is my 1st pregnancy and I am ever worried about LO in there, I do avoid any strenous activity on my own. I was told not to worry at my 20w scan, that it would probably move up on its own and if it didn't by 32 w scan then I would have another scan at 36 w and take it from there smile
I don't think your sister has any reason to panic though it's understandable with our hormones all over the place during pregnancy. She will get a clearer picture of what's to come at her 32 w scan.
I am sure some other posters with previous experiences will come along with better advice though.

Shehz21 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:52:54

Cross posted with LapinR0se!
I shall take your following points into consideration as I wasn't told none of this at my 20w scan..
Glad that I am 15mins drive away from the hospital with mild traffic. Though I do have a flight to take next monthconfused

LapinR0se Fri 10-Nov-17 11:57:27

The actual flight doesn’t pose any risk, the issue is a major bleed whilst airborne or far from a hospital. I was not allowed to fly after 25 weeks.

Shehz21 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:05:57

I am 21 weeks and was told that flying in general wouldn't be allowed after 28 weeks by the airline which my dad works for.
I do understand your point though, wouldn't wanna risk that.. I am bummed that I wasn't given more information/instructions about the placenta previa. Infact the tech seemed quite unconcerned.

dramallamakarma Fri 10-Nov-17 12:17:11

I’m nearly 37 weeks & have complete PP too. They scan at 32 & 36 weeks to see if the placenta has moved (mine hasn’t).

I’ve bled twice at 26 & 36 weeks & been admitted for observation.

C Section booked for 38+4.

She’ll see a consultant & have more regular checks, it’s only really dangerous if it’s undiscovered.

SammyL100 Fri 10-Nov-17 13:58:58

Thanks everyone and good to hear stories of condition being managed.

Shehz21 my sisters first private tech was quite unconcerned too but I suppose it's better to be aware of precautions than not.

dramallamakarma Fri 10-Nov-17 17:14:55

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Documents/2015%20uploads/RCOG%20-%20low-lying-placenta-after-20-weeks.pdf

thingymaboob Fri 10-Nov-17 17:26:30

The 20 week NHS scan is done by a highly trained advanced sonographer so I'd listen to them rather than the private scanner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now