Talk

Advanced search

Itchy everywhere!

(13 Posts)
MrsMcW Fri 10-Nov-17 10:56:02

I'm just shy of 20 weeks, and in the last few days I've felt itchy all over. Hands, arms, legs, scalp, face (weirdly), bikini area, absolutely everywhere. Is this normal? I haven't changed washing powder or shower gel, and I use non-bio / organic products already. I've also had a bad flare up of eczema on my eyelids which I haven't had since I was a teenager...

Does this just come under the 'hormones' category? Has anyone else had the same? And can someone recommend anything to soothe it? Normally I'd reach for the hydrocortisone, but the packet says it's not safe during pregnancy... confused I'm reluctant to see my GP as getting an appointment is impossible except in emergency.

Ilovelampandchair Fri 10-Nov-17 10:56:59

Nope, straight to the doc for you. Obstetric cholatisis most likely I'm afraid but you do need to see your doc.

Curiousgeorgey Fri 10-Nov-17 10:57:03

Ive heard this can be a symptom of a liver problem. Id call your midwife to check.

Ilovelampandchair Fri 10-Nov-17 10:57:58

Sorry don't mean to alarm you. It's a relatively common pregnancy complication but don't delay seeing your doc.

Iceland22 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:58:38

It's an emergency, call your midwife immediately or go to your pregnancy unit at the hospital. You'll need to be seen today.

MrsMcW Fri 10-Nov-17 11:04:34

I thought obstetric cholestasis isn't a problem until third trimester? Surely it's too early for that? Oh crumbs... shock

chipscheeseandgravy Fri 10-Nov-17 11:06:02

I had that, dr gave me an industrial vat sized container of cream which helped, then it went about 22-23 weeks.
It can be a cause of liver disease. So if you can’t get to your midwife see your dr

Lozmatoz Fri 10-Nov-17 11:26:04

No, can be serious liver condition. Contact midwife or GP straight away for blood test.

BlackCoconut Fri 10-Nov-17 11:36:15

Echoing others comments.

I wasn't diagnosed with OC till 32 weeks but I'd started itching at 26 weeks, I put it down to sunburn as I'd just been on holiday! blush

The midwife said it can occur at any time so not just a third trimester thing.

SweepTheHalls Fri 10-Nov-17 11:38:14

Unlikely at this stage but important to get checked. I has the same thing around about 26 weeks, lasted about a week and disappeared. But I did go in and get checked for OC!

moralberyll Fri 10-Nov-17 11:42:55

Call your midwife asap, she will probably refer you to the antenatal assessment clinic at the hospital for a blood test.

outedmyselfagain Fri 10-Nov-17 11:44:50

I had a patch of this in one of my pregnancies and it wasn’t OC, but you need the test to rule it out.

I had a couple of weeks of slathering myself in anti itch cream and it went away.

dangle90 Fri 10-Nov-17 14:44:30

I’m 31 weeks had itching since about 6 weeks (a lot better now) went to the Drs who advised it was just hormones and prescribed anti allergy tablets which helped take the itch off. Hopefully yours is nothing too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now