Advanced search

Cold remedies in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
thinpigeon Fri 10-Nov-17 10:52:01

So I'm 9 weeks and woken up today with a horrible cold. I'm struggling to find reliable info on what I can or can't take in terms of decongestants/cough syrups etc. Planning on getting to the pharmacy later to ask there but wondering if anybody else knows/can point me in the direction of info on what's safe to take this morning! Thanks in advance.

Wooders09 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:55:02

There isn't much you can take other than paracetamol. You're best making some honey and lemon to help. I think there are some cough sweets that are ok, possibly lockers but I'm not 100% sure.

Monkeypuzzle32 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:57:37

Only paracetamol unfortunately but you can make up a mixture of honey lemon with dissolvable paracetamol as a similar thing to lemsip-the pharmacist told me to do this as soluble paracetamol gets into your system faster

MrsMcW Fri 10-Nov-17 11:00:40

Vicks vaporub saved me when I had a rotten cold - put a teaspoon in a bowl of almost-boiling water and inhale the steam. I did it about 6 times a day, really helped to clear the airways! Weirdly the pharmacist said it was fine to inhale, but not to use it on the skin during pregnancy - can't quite follow that logic but the steam helped enough anyway.

PurplePillowCase Fri 10-Nov-17 11:01:05

paraceramol and rest.
if it gets really really bad see your gp.

BigBaboonBum Fri 10-Nov-17 11:34:27

MrsMcW I was told by my doctor that vicks is fine during pregnancy, I’ve slathered it all over myself in all three of mine!

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:07:15

I'm 19 weeks and have had a horrible cold since Wednesday (I never get colds)! I've been drinking hot water with honey and fresh lemon in it. It soothes a sore throat and feels like your drinking lemsip. Take alongside paracetamol makes me feel better! X

thinpigeon Fri 10-Nov-17 12:34:30

Thanks everyone. Honey and lemon with paracetamol it is! Thankfully I'm on annual leave this week anyway and not due back in work until Tuesday anyway so hopefully plenty of time to recover!

Fakingit36 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:42:45

I am going to get myself some Vicks then. Really struggling here. Only 6 wks and the last couple of nights have felt like taking my body into WW3 between fighting the virus up top and the "construction site" below. Poor body!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now