HELP - Elective C Section Date.(18 Posts)
I've been going back and forth between a VBAC or elective c section for months now, and I think I'm starting to lean more towards a caesarean delivery. I have my final Consultant appointment in 4 weeks time but would just like to get some experiences before then.
I'm due on the 7th January, meaning Christmas Eve I turn 38 weeks and New Years Eve I become 39 weeks.
My waters went with my first baby 11 months ago at 39+1 and he was born at 39+3. I know this isn't a real indication that I'll go early this time around, but I was just wondering when you think I'll likely be booked in for?
I know a lot of hospitals operate on a strict 'not before 39 weeks' policy, and if that's the case then they obviously won't do my c section on New Years Eve or New Years Day. That means I'll have a couple of days at the start of January just before my Due Date in which to potentially be booked in, but I am wary about going in to labour on my own and needing an emergency c section as a result.
So, experiences of any planned c section around the end of the year and how they squeezed you in around the holidays would be appreciated!
I had one delivery during the holiday period and it was a terrible experience, they'd reassured me in advance it would be the same level of staffing etc but it definitely wasn't, and they admitted later that understaffing/less experienced staff contributed to the problems. So I would strongly encourage you to avoid a Caesarian then. You'll be better off waiting slightly past your due date, risk of you going into labour is not that high. Also it won't really be like an emergency Caesarian if you are in early stages of labour, it would still be much more like a planned Caesarian.
I recently looked up some info on NICE about this, as I wanted an ELCS at 38 weeks, but the booking staff said they do everyone routinely at 39 weeks (following the NICE guideline). The NICE data study suggests that 18% go into labour before the 39 week ELCS booked date. The reason for 39 weeks date, is based on a study which suggested improved respiratory morbidity from 39 weeks specifically. I discussed all of the different risks, including those relevant to me personally, with my consultant and he agreed I could be booked at 38 weeks as he felt it was not a worse option for me in my situation (although it took weeks of emails and calls to actually then make that date happen!).
I guess you have to work out which risks you’d rather take (shame we can’t avoid them all!), then be clear with your consultant on tour choice, after listening carefully to them and their reasons and advice.
I had an ELCS several years ago. At the time the advice for most was delivery at 38 weeks. I chose my own date at 39 weeks. My reasoning was I lived 10 minutes from the hospital so if I went into labour it was quick to get there. Also, this was my 4th child, all my labours were around 24 hours and started slowly. Two of my children were born by emergency CS but only after many hours of labour. so if you were to go into labour before the planned day it would not be an emergency CS. Also, 2 of my children were born 10 and 12 days after my due date and 1 10 days before my due date. If I was you I would ask for 2nd January as a planned date that way staffing levels will be back to normal and you are still very close to the 39 weeks.
In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to have the c section some time between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve, putting me at 38+3 through to 39 weeks.
I'd like to stay as far away from my actual due date as possible, but not so far that it could cause problems for my baby IYSWIM.
Hopefully they'll have a few dates towards the end of December that I'll be able to steal!
I would go for 39+2 if I was you - I personally wouldn't want a section before 39 weeks due to increased risk of respiratory problems for the baby. Whatever day they book it for, you could potentially go into labour before the date. Babies also benefit from a labour and many woman now try to opt for an ELCS once in labour.
I wouldn't worry about it and discuss it at your next appointment - for all you know, they may be on the same page as you!
I wasn't given any choice as it was elective (although on medical advice). Section done on my due date.
Where I am, unless you have a medical reason you cannot be booked earlier than 39 weeks. I actually had a medical reason (IUGR) and they still waited till baby was exactly 39 weeks.
I was given the option of a Monday or a Friday as these were the only days they do the ELCS. So given the holidays I don't know how that might change it all up and what your trusts policy actually is for ELCS. My elective was a walk in the park compared to my emergency, that's why I never went for a VBAC. If I tried for a VBAC and then neededanother emergency, my body would have seriously struggled to recover. Good luck with everything!
I'm not too sure what days electives are done at my hospital - I didn't ask at my first Consultant appointment as at the time I was almost adamant I wanted a VBAC, but I am hoping I'm given a couple of days to choose from.
I recovered terribly from my emergency c section but have read only good things about electives!
I was in labour for two days which I think made the surgery feel worse. Plus the fact my scar was stapled shut rather than stitched, so the metal staples were pulling on the surgical tape every time I moved for 7 days before my dressing was removed. Fingers crossed they'll grant my wish of being sewn shut this time!!!
I had 2 emergency CS after several hours of labour, it was exhausting and tough after. The ELCS was totally different, I was completely rested and my recovery was so much easier. Good luck with your decision.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm due on the 5th of January. I had an EMCS on Xmas day with my son but the lady who was in hospital with me had a planned section on Christmas eve because it fell in line with the day that do ELCS. So I'm not sure they really care too much about the date, as they're working anyway but who knows. I find out my date at my next apt with my consultant.
My DD was due 6th Jan. She was transverse so I had to have a CS. They point blank refused to do it before 39 and the first available slot was at 39+4, so the 3rd Jan. I had been an inpatient since before Christmas so this was a big bummer. With my DS this year, again I wasn't able to get booked in until 39+4 even though we knew he was big (he came out 11lb!)
They probably won't do it OP, i was induced for medical reasons and i had to wait until 38+6 to be induced so it meant if i needed an emergency C-Section the chances are i would be 39 weeks by the time i would need it.
Placemarking as due on Jan 9th and having the same quandary as you OP!
I imagine it'll wind up being a January baby after all - which of course, I'm not bothered by. Mostly just wondered how electives work around the Christmas period, but if my hospital also has the 'no c sections before 39 weeks' deal, I guess I won't have to worry about them squeezing me in around the holiday madness.
Only a few more weeks until I'll be booking in with the Consultant anyway, so I'll let you know what date I'm given/allowed to have x
It will likely be after new year and then if you go into labour you go in and it’s an emergency section.
For my last section, they used steri strips instead of stitches on the outer section (obv stictches internally!) and my recovery was excellent as a result. I had to have further surgery a few weeks ago on the section scar and used steri strips again. Would definitely recommend asking about them.
Probably not really what you are wanting to hear(!) but I was in exactly the same situation, due early Jan and had an ELCS booked for Jan 5 which was 39.5 (IIRC) but due to the holiday period and bank holidays they simply couldn’t book me in any earlier and despite me pleading for an earlier date (DC1 had come naturally at 39w so I didn’t think there was much chance of making 39.5) they wouldn’t consider anything before 39w. And then there were all the bank holidays etc which made everything even more complicated.
Predictably I didn’t make it to my section date, went into labour late on Xmas day and so just had to go in.
Long story but I didn’t get my ELCS but was all fine in the end but I would just say to be extra-prepared in terms of being firm and clear about what you are doing etc as staffing levels do seem to be impacted over the holiday period.
On the upside there will likely be fewer people on the wards etc as they deliberately don’t schedule any ELCS or inductions if they can avoid it.
Good luck, Christmas babies are fabulous!
@Berlina I love my son being a Christmas baby but I don't know how I will cope if this one joins us on Christmas day too lol
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.