Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Elective C-Section

(15 Posts)
Rebekah120517 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:11:54

Hi,

Has anyone had an elective c-section? Would anyone recommend it?

Thanks in advance

RoseAndRose Fri 10-Nov-17 08:15:01

I haven't but several of my cohort did.

Given that for one of them it was a life-threatening condition, and the others AFAIK were also serious, then yes, highly recommended.

helpmum2003 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:16:20

Yes I had one. It was my 2nd child and I'd had a normal delivery with the 1st child. Mine went very well and I recovered quickly with no complications so I was 100% happy.
I didn't really have a choice though as baby was poorly - I would've struggled to make the decision if I had a choice I think.
Why are you considering one?

Oldschool41 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:18:30

I had an emergency c section 25 years ago and it was awful... then I went on to have 2 natural births 23 and 21 years ago. This time around now 35 + 3 days I’m having an elective c section which I believe will be a breeze 😋

Ethelswith Fri 10-Nov-17 08:22:53

Elective doesn't mean 'on request', it means 'decided on before onset of labour'

I have one friend who wonders if hers was actually the right decision. She had it in medical advice because of breech baby, and everything important was fine. But she thought her post-birth recovery was slower (and initially much more awkward) that her VBs. She knows that in some places, CS would not have been recommended for her as readily or as strongly.

So I think the reasons for deciding on CS are important in weighing up what is the safest and best.

GnomeDePlume Fri 10-Nov-17 08:34:48

I have had 3 CS, 1 emergency and 2 elective. I found the recovery from the electives far easier than the emergency. Not surprising as the emergency was after a long and painful labour.

There are risks involved but the data is not clear cut. An easy VB is probably safest but if it doesn't go easily then CS may well be the safer option.

Rebekah120517 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:49:09

I have a blood clot behind the placenta and a low lying placenta so I may have to have a section anyway. I’m aware that this will probably correct itself before it’s time for delivery. I’m 27 weeks and have a scan at 30 and 32 weeks.
It still makes me worried even if everything corrects itself that they may have missed something and then it turns into an emergency section.

My sister has microcelphy which was caused at birth. She started to turn, got stuck and had lack of oxygen at birth which caused her disabilities. This also makes me nervous. That was 20 years ago and I’m aware everything has changed and improved but I can’t help having these worries at the back of my mind.

boatrace30 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:20:12

Entirely depends on whether you need it and what advice is. My baby was breech and decided along with doctor advice to have an elective section. But wouldn’t have done had it been a normal birth. Recovery is harder than a straightforward natural birth.

boatrace30 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:22:22

Just read your last post. Worth discussing all those concerns with your midwife. I understand as pregnant now with no.2. Too early (19weeks) to know if baby will be breech again and hoping for a natural birth but have worries in the back of my mind as my mum had to have emergency section and my brother nearly died because of her narrow hips and I have the same body shape so have a niggle in back of my mind about it

sunseasand25 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:38:53

I’ve had an emergency section (after 8 hours of labour), a scheduled section and a forceps birth. The forceps was by far the worst. I recovered quicker from the unscheduled section but the scheduled one wasn’t much worse. I’d personally prefer another section.

GnomeDePlume Fri 10-Nov-17 12:24:24

If there is any risk involved in the birth with an elective CS you already have all the best people in the room scrubbed up and ready to deal with whatever happens.

The birth of my second DC was a joyful and relaxed event. The only problem with the the birth of my third DC was that were in the middle of a flu epidemic and I had a chest infection so coughed my way through the CS.

DuggeeHugs Fri 10-Nov-17 12:31:00

I chose an ELCS after an EMCS. Both births were wonderful experiences smile

The ELCS pregnancy was tricky but they couldn't pin down a problem and kept pushing VBAC. The surgeon told us afterwards that our decision was the right one - they hadn't known beforehand the cord was wrapped three times around DDs neck and the surgeon felt she was unlikely to have survived a VB.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 10-Nov-17 12:33:18

I had one and loved it! But then my injuries were so bad from the vaginal birth the first time that I'm not allowed to have any more that way. Regardless, planned c-section is so civilised comparatively, and you have SO MUCH more energy to look after your new baby than you would after a day or two of labour. Recovery time was minimal. Loved it! Good luck to you!

LumpySpaceCow Fri 10-Nov-17 14:41:37

My sections were easier to recover from than my instrumental birth - however some people have straightforward births and recover no problem and others have a terrible time with infections, adhesions etc after their sections. Discuss your concerns and fears with the medical staff.

GnomeDePlume Fri 10-Nov-17 19:21:05

Post CS your anti-coagulation will be monitored very closely especially since you already have a blood clot now. That is a good thing. When I had my DCs (around when Noah was a lad) it wasn't.

I think that the protocol is to prescribe anti-coagulation meds in the lead up to the CS then for a while after.

My experience of ELCS was that it's a great experience. Ask lots of questions. Lots of people have been through it and will give you lots of advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now