Talk

Advanced search

Obstetric Cholestasis

(11 Posts)
spearo21 Fri 10-Nov-17 05:53:08

Hello smile

I'm 29 weeks and been diagnosed with cholestasis yesterday sad my ALT and bile acids have been up and down since 7 weeks pregnant but a big big jump in levels from last week to this week so they have diagnosed me now and put me on medication - urso.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I had OC when I was pregnant with my son the first time but it went completely unmonitored until 38 weeks where I as induced straight away after a scare that led me to hospital. Has anyone else got this? And if So, does the urso really help? They said I will be induced again this time but now need to go in every week for bloods and traces and 4 weekly growth scans. When were you induced? Glad they are monitoring it though as it could have had a very different outcome last time. I've also suffered with hyperemisis the whole way through again which has been so difficult to deal with. Just feel so crap and down and like I can't enjoy being pregnant sad so I hope I get induced a bit earlier so I can start to feel like a normal human again. Very selfish but this has been a very tough pregnancy sad

Jellybean2017 Fri 10-Nov-17 06:21:35

Hello, I had OC with my pregnancy earlier in the year,.wasn't diagnosed until 35/6 weeks. I was on urso which did help and the plan was induction at 37+1. However baby decided to start coming of their own accord at 37 weeks! Think it's pretty standard for hospitals to induce at 37 weeks with OC. Itching went straight after the birth for me.

spearo21 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:47:11

I've been pretty itchy lately but nothing like I experienced before... still to get to that stage I suppose. Did the urso help with the itching?

BlackCoconut Fri 10-Nov-17 11:34:51

Hi OP, I also had OC while pregnant with my baby girl who's now 4 months old.
Diagnosed at 32 weeks, ELCS booked in for 37 weeks, went into labour myself at 36+4 so EMCS as she was breech.

The urso acid tablets helped with the itching a little, but didn't get rid of it completely. I was also prescribed piriton & aqueous cream to help aswell.
As soon as I gave birth the itching vanished, and by 10 days pp my bile acid levels were all back to normal.

spearo21 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:12:59

Thanks BlackCoconut I managed to deliver naturally last time so really hoping I can do the same again! A CS really frightens me for some reason!!

I've got piriton as well but just thinking back from last time, i think the creams made my legs worse! Have taken my first dose of Urso this morning so I am hoping it can bring my levels down asap!!

Cruze Fri 10-Nov-17 12:53:32

The urso definitely helped me and reduced my itching. It took a few days though, I was told it can take up to a fortnight, before I felt the effects so please please bear with it. Because of the regular testing they can increase/ decrease doses etc. My care second time around with OC was so much better because of the monitoring.

The piriton, menthol cream and porridge oats in a muslin cloth bath helped as well. It didn't relieve it completely but did give me some relief at times. I liked how the piriton allowed me to get some sleep.

I was induced at 37 weeks with both of mine. Think this is the standard.

Itching stopped immediately. I also had hypremises, PUPPS and pre eclampsia. I know where you're coming from OP, can't say I enjoyed either of my pregnancies. The sleepless nights due to a screaming baby was a dream in comparison to the itching and puking. Good luck, hope the urso kicks in for you asap!

mamaiFifi Fri 10-Nov-17 15:17:25

I had it with my first and thinking trying for my second. Was induced at 37 weeks to the day but wasn’t on medication. Was on bed rest for a fortnight before in hospital. I had high ketones that were related (I think) in my urine. Amongst other things sad

PickledLilly Fri 10-Nov-17 15:24:42

I had O.C in my first pregnancy and the urso really made a big difference for me. In my trust they don’t induce early but don’t let you go past your due date so I had my daughter at 39+5.

PickledLilly Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:23

mamaiFifi - I didn’t get O.C in my second pregnancy. I think the odds of suffering it again are about 50/50

mamaiFifi Fri 10-Nov-17 17:09:30

Ah really? I have a liver disease cirrhosis of primary biliary I think I was at higher risk again of getting it. I had gestational diabetes too. Don’t think pregnancy agrees with me lol

oldbirdy Fri 10-Nov-17 17:18:14

I had OC in my last pregnancy and the one before but it didn't get diagnosed and was diagnosed at 36 weeks. I was given a sweep at 37 weeks and booked for induction at 37+4 but I'd already lost my mucus plug and the sweep started labour.

I had urso but only for about 5 days and whilst I think it helped the itching a little I was told after DD arrived that it had not been the my levels down, they were still climbing. Bile acids were over 150 when she was born.
Iirc I bought two "chillow pillows" which are gel filled pillows you fill with cold water. They are for menopausal ladies I think! I used to wrap my feet in them for some relief. They were the best things I found, I also used pure aloe vera from the health food shop.
Itching stopped within 48 hours of birth and liver back to normal by 6 week checkup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now