Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about ELCS

(14 Posts)
AgainPlease Thu 09-Nov-17 19:11:26

Before anyone asks, yes I've had a vaginal birth. My son was born (and died) prematurely last year. Partly because of this, I've been offered an ELCS for my current pregnancy.

I don't know which to go for. I'm getting freaked out by all the risks of c-sections, but I also know many women experience trauma in natural childbirth and I'm acutely aware of all the things that can go wrong in the last few weeks of pregnancy so thinking I'd rather just have my baby out safely than risk anything going wrong after having got so far this time around.

Please help me decide. Any positive or negative experiences to share?

AgainPlease Thu 09-Nov-17 19:21:54

Anyone blush

KMoKMo Thu 09-Nov-17 19:26:40

I’m so sorry for your loss. That must be incredibly hard.

No real advice but didn’t want to r&r.

My DD was prem (28weeks) Ans I ended up with an EMCS. To be honest I found it all very overwhelming but imagine a planned section would be much calmer and possibly give you more of a sense of control.

I’m planning a VBAC because I feel another section may bring back too many bad memories. Perhaps this is reversed for you?

I didn’t find the recovery too bad from the EMCS really and I was having to get up and out of the house everyday to get to the neonatal unit once I’d been discharged.

I think it’s a very personal choice and wish you the best

jimijack Thu 09-Nov-17 19:30:31

Only positive here.
I was given a date and a time, turned up, prepped, radio on in the corner, staff seemingly as excited as we were, spinal was Devine release from pelvic and back pain.
All over in about 15 minutes, baby on my chest, sewn up which I don't remember as I was totally lost in utter utter adoration and love for my new baby.
Home within 48 hours, 7 days on pushing the pram through the snow, loving the cold fresh air yet freezing cold as I was too fat to do up my good winter coat!

This baby had taken 10 years and 7 miscarriages to get, I was offered a elcs to ensure a safe delivery of our precious baby. I did not care about the ins and out, I just wanted a live healthy baby. That's what I got smile

mrsnec Thu 09-Nov-17 19:37:52

I've had an EMCS a year after an MC. I was closely monitored at the end of my pregnancy and at my pre-op assesment my consultant said I want to get this over with now!

It was scary at the time but I had prepared myself anyway and knew what to expect. And it can't have been that bad as I had an ELCS 16 months after that.

Both times the recovery was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. But The ELCS was better.

Good luck op!

JCleRoux Thu 09-Nov-17 19:42:55

I had an EMCS with my DS and the whole experience was just traumatic and awful. Pregnant again and am having an ELCS which I understand is lot more calmer and controlled. Apparently I can even bring my own music. After my EMCS, I want calm. I don't remember the recovery last time being horrendous but as I'd had labour before the EMCS I am expecting more or less the same. Good luck OP.

Tortycat Thu 09-Nov-17 19:43:21

I had a good experience on the whole. Dc1 was emsc after induction, then dc2 was elcs as i would have had to be induced again due to a medical condition and didnt want a repeat of first time. Had to wait ages on the day (on just a wooden chair as no beds available!), but the actual op was really calm and relaxed. No pain but a rummaging sensation and a lot of pressure. Really felt i was in safe hands. Home 24 hrs later. A lot of pain for the first few days but at least my bits are intact!

Rockandrollwithit Thu 09-Nov-17 19:43:59

I had an ELCS in September. It was great!
Baby out within 15 mins and the recovery not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

BunnyFluffy Thu 09-Nov-17 19:46:02

Can you opt for an elective C just because you want to, or do you need a medical reason? Sorry to hijack thread but I am pregnant with my first and interested

BunnyFluffy Thu 09-Nov-17 19:47:02

Posted to soon
flowers for OP wish you a happy birth this time.

Iwillbemrsminty Thu 09-Nov-17 19:51:49

I had ELCS with my twins at 34 weeks are they were both breech and had blood flow issues. Nothing but positive experience. They were absolutely fantastic, so relaxed and lovely. Quick and even tho my babies went to SCBU they were handed to my DP first for a cuddle and then brought over to me for a kiss before they were taken over to SCBU. I had amazing midwife in recovery who freshened me up and even helped me brush my teeth. And then brought me some toast! Only thing I struggled with was getting in the right position for spinal as position of babies made it difficult to hunch over on end of the bed. It took a while but once it was in it felt lovely. Hope that helps a bit OP.

So sorry for your previous loss. X

AgainPlease Thu 09-Nov-17 22:04:58

Thanks for sharing everyone! Part of me really wants the ELCS as just takes any worry out of the birth process but I am worried about recovery time. The other part of me wants to have a vaginal birth and all the joyous rush of hormones and release you get from doing it that way.

Very torn!

Chocness Thu 09-Nov-17 22:15:45

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I had an emergency C section 3 years ago. Was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life and opened up a box of anxiety that plagued my early years as a mother.

I’m expecting baby number 2 next year and will be having an elective caesarean without doubt. I’m hoping it will help put the previous trauma to bed and have only read good things about it so far.

Best wishes to you OP.

mrsnec Fri 10-Nov-17 06:14:04

I'm not in the UK but the system here is similar. Re a previous post does it not depend on the hospital and HCPs as to if you can just request an ELCS? I had different consultants with different opinions. Dd was breech, I had CPD and early symptoms of PE and GD and one of them was still trying to get me to try naturally yet another one agreed straight away because of my age! (I was 38 at the time)

What swayed me though was that I'd had a few friends in the uk have painful labors that went on for days and they ended up being induced and having difficult deliveries and whilst I didn't get that hormone rush I certainly didn't want that and I'm very much of tbe opinion that it really doesn't matter how the baby arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now