Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I ate goats cheese with a rind on and now panicking.

(22 Posts)
Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 17:50:57

31 weeks. I am so annoyed with myself as I even checked it was pasturised then realised after that it had a rind on which is a no no regardless.
This may be a silly question but will I know if it does cause a problem. Been having awful anxiety already about the baby so I can't believe I've done something to worry me even more about.

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 18:22:36

Please anyone?

Snap8TheCat Thu 09-Nov-17 18:25:24

Oh my goodness please calm down. The stress and anxiety will be far more detriment to your baby than the goat’s cheese. There is a teeny tiny chance of catching listeria (have you even caught it before?) but honestly you and your baby will be fine.

Take care.

Creatureofthenight Thu 09-Nov-17 18:26:29

AFAIK it's only on the "Don't eat" list because there's a bit of a risk of food poisoning. How many times have you got food poisoning from eating goats cheese? 0 times? Me too! Please don't worry.

confusedandemployed Thu 09-Nov-17 18:28:26

It'll be fine. As it probably would be if you ate 99% of things on the "banned" list.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Thu 09-Nov-17 18:28:29

I ate goats cheese two nights ago and I feel completely fine about it.

Like a PP says, have you ever caught listeria from cheese before? You will notice if you do, honestly, so if you aren't ill right now there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

UnaOfStormhold Thu 09-Nov-17 18:29:29

In the very unlikely event that you get listeriosis, you will know because you will get ill - even then I think there's a low risk of harm to the baby. If, as is virtually certain, you don't get listeriosis, your baby will be fine. I think French women aren't advised to avoid rinded cheese in pregnancy at all. Have you talked to your midwife about your anxiety?

BeanoNoir Thu 09-Nov-17 18:29:58

I understand the anxiety - I ate swordfish and thought I’d ruined everything. But please try not to worry, it will be fine.

Fekko Thu 09-Nov-17 18:30:09

A French friend was very bemused when she was pregnant in the uk as they didn't (then don't know about now) tell women not to eat such things in France. I'm sure it's all absolutely ok and as someone points bred out above, you'll do more harm stressing about it.

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 18:30:33

Thank you both. I'm generally really anxious so can blow things well out of proportion. Read about listeria on nhs and got into a state that pregnant women are 20 times more likely to get it !
But if it would give me food poisoning then hopefully I would know if there was an issue.
And you're right I've never had poisoning from any cheese and I eat a lot of cheese!

Fekko Thu 09-Nov-17 18:31:56

I've never had a problem eating cheese and I ldon't be the stuff!

Fekko Thu 09-Nov-17 18:32:30

What is going on with my typing?? I LOVE the stuff

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 18:37:12

Oh wow cross posted with a few of you thank you so much and will be back in a min just putting dd to bed early after a bad day!

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 19:03:54

Have caught up now. Thank you I do feel much better now.
I am getting help for the anxiety thankfully and it has helped but I find I still get days where I find it hard to be rational about stuff. It's so hard and I am hoping to get on top of it before the birth as it overwhelmed me last time during labour then I had PND.
I do feel better about the cheese though and going to step away from Dr Google this eve too!

scrivette Thu 09-Nov-17 19:14:26

Oh I thought we could eat goats cheese blush

Yes step away from Dr Google, it’s enough to send even the calmest person into a panic.

Hope you enjoyed the cheese and best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy, not too long until you can eat what you want.

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 19:29:19

Thanks I think it's fine if cooked and pasturised and without the rind. So often is fine. You are right Google is the worst place and even the nhs website did me no good !

beckythomas Thu 09-Nov-17 19:56:33

Please calm down. Once in a while its alright to consume goat's cheese. Just ensure that you don't have it often. You and your baby are perfectly fine.

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 20:27:52

Thanks hope so! I do feel a lot better for doing this thread

HaHaHmm Thu 09-Nov-17 21:28:12

Rind is safe if cooked. It’s the best bit!

Mortigua Thu 09-Nov-17 21:43:52

It was cold though -had assumed it would be cooked but not sure it was as it was crumbly inside but not warm

eurochick Thu 09-Nov-17 22:01:04

Calm down! I’m intolerant to cow’s milk. I ate all kinds of goats cheese through my pregnancy. I figured the benefit of the calcium outweighed the very small listeria risk.

Threenme Thu 09-Nov-17 22:03:46

I didn't look at the banned list- my rule no drink, drugs or smoking (don't to the last 2 anyway) you stick to this I reckon you're good to go!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: