Talk

Advanced search

Baby changing table top or over cot?

(39 Posts)
Rosehyd2 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:04:07

We have a really lovely solid pine chest of drawers at the perfect height to change baby on, buts it's only 42cm deep. This isn't wide enough to just put a changing mat on top as there's no extra surface around it for stability.

We don't have room for another unit in baby's room [or any other room] and it seems silly to buy a whole new unit when the current one has great storage and we own it already.

I've been told changing tops that go over the cot are really annoying and heavy when you have baby in one arm etc.

Should I ask my husband to fix a raised wooden border to the top of our current chest of drawers so a changing mat could just fit inside it?

I'm a FTM so have no experience. Your opinions welcome please!

tissuesosoft Wed 08-Nov-17 22:07:10

I never used either- just a changing mat on our bed/sofa/floor

TittyGolightly Wed 08-Nov-17 22:09:46

Had a cot top changer that was rarely used. I’m in South Wales. If you’re near you can have it.

SeamusMacDubh Wed 08-Nov-17 22:10:00

Agree with Tissue, change mat is easy to move from room to room, lightweight, waterproof, easy to clean, cheap enough to buy one for upstairs and one for downstairs if you want, easy to store down the side of a wardrobe or wherever. Just lay a muslin or hand towel on it so it doesn’t feel chilly and absorbs any accidents (sick or wee)

TittyGolightly Wed 08-Nov-17 22:10:12

It was only rarely used because DD didn’t go near her cot until she was 9 months old.

Alexandra07 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:34:58

A friend gave me a cot top changer, similar to this one:
www.mothercare.com/cot-top-changers-and-underdrawers/mothercare-universal-cot-top-changer/957651.html
The one I have is very light, since there are no wooden parts. It has some bits underneath to keep it in place on top of the cot which you can remove/unscrew and then it's completely flat underneath so you can use it on top of a set of drawers instead. Could you find a similar changing mat that fits on top of your drawers (and your cot?).

I think I will use it at the beginning on top of the cot (the baby will not be sleeping there) and then using an anti-slip mat underneath, use it on top of a set of drawers we have. Baby is not here yet, so we haven't tried which works better for us, but I feel we have both options.

Cracklesfire Thu 09-Nov-17 05:29:35

We mostly changed DS on the big footstool in the living room, the floor or on top of our bed. We had a changing/dresser top but almost never used it. I don't even think I'll bother putting it back on for baby no 2 this time.

TakeMe2Insanity Thu 09-Nov-17 05:33:45

We planned to change the baby on a mat where ever, however I ended up with a csection and so we bought a changing table and it was amazing for my back.

Bostonbullsmumma Thu 09-Nov-17 05:35:57

I had a changing mat that went on top of the cot for DC1 which we used all the time. DC2 we haven't put the cot up and like pp have said a changing mat on the floor/bed/sofa ect works just the same! I just bought a little basket to put essentials in like nappies and wipes to make it easier when moving rooms.

DappledThings Thu 09-Nov-17 07:16:27

Loved the cot top one till DS was 6 months which is when he went in the cot. So up till then it sat on the cot the whole time. Doing it on the bed killed my back.

MonkeyJumping Thu 09-Nov-17 07:31:58

Better to have a mat on the drawers - babies often wee while you're changing them and if it goes in the cot you'll have to change the bedding.

Rosehyd2 Thu 09-Nov-17 07:32:00

I had considered just using the bed/floor but thought it would mean a lot more clearing up if things went a bit astray mid nappy change!
I'm also suffering badly with sciatica at the moment. It's pregnancy induced so hopefully will go when baby is born but if not, I'm not sure I could be bending down to the floor much early on.

@TittyGolightly that's very kind thank you. Unfortunately I'm many hours from you!

LittleWingSoul Thu 09-Nov-17 07:56:52

Cot top changer all the way. If baby is using a moses basket for the first month or two you needn't take the mat on and off all the time anyway.

BertramTheWalrus Thu 09-Nov-17 08:19:03

I had the exact same problem when DS1 was born! I bought a changing mat and decided to see whether it was possible to change him on the floor. 3 years and another DC later I am so glad I only bought a changing mat because I can carry it around the house (you will need it when you bathe your baby) and I don't need to worry about a wriggly baby (and they get wriggly very early) falling off.
If you have back problems it's a different story though!

Creatureofthenight Thu 09-Nov-17 08:23:25

I have a changing unit, I could not have done without it. I had a bad back in pregnancy which is still sore now so bending over to change baby on a bed is really painful. I had a c section so getting down on the floor wasn't an option when we came home. The unit really is one of the most useful things we bought.

Seeline Thu 09-Nov-17 08:29:04

We had a change unit which I found brilliant as I had a bad back and couldn't get up and down off the floor (especially whilst holding the baby). bed was OK, but so much easier to have everything in one place - wipes nappies, nappy cream, nappy bin, spare clothing etc (the change unit had drawers in it). It was in the nursery which meant it was easy to pop the baby in the cot for a couple of minutes whilst I tidies up and washed hands etc - I knew they were safe. We used it for many years afterwards, just as a chest of drawers for the childrens' clothes.

CatsCatsCats11 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:39:01

We loved our cot top changer used it at least twice a day for 7 months when DD went into the cot.

confused123456 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:40:38

I don't see the need for either type. A changing mat on the sofa during the day, and when he was still waking during the night, and on the bed after a bath worked just fine for us.

EssentialHummus Thu 09-Nov-17 08:42:30

We’ve gone with the Ikea inflatable changing mat for £5, it’s worked out great.

Itsonkyme Thu 09-Nov-17 08:50:07

I would ask your husband to put a raised border round the chest of drawers you've got. I always used the drawers we had already, not very wide. There shouldn't be a problem, you are going to be next to/ holding baby So there shouldn't be a problem with them falling off.

TittyGolightly Thu 09-Nov-17 11:38:33

I would ask your husband

#everydaysexism

PonderLand Thu 09-Nov-17 11:42:52

We just had a changing mat as didn't have funds or the baby's room ready for furniture and it absolutely killed our backs! I'd get a changing table if you're already having back issues. There's plenty for cheap on Facebook market place. We live in Leeds and have one if you want it (free) it's for a cotbed

Migraleve Thu 09-Nov-17 11:43:52

I didn’t even use a mat, I changed all of mine on my knee grin

CryingShame Thu 09-Nov-17 11:47:54

I was always cornered that DS would fall if I had to step away to get a replacement vest or another nappy, if he was on a high level changing unit. We just had a changing mat on the floor - lie it on a towel if you have reason to believe you may be unleashing the hounds of hell by unfastening the nappy. grin

CryingShame Thu 09-Nov-17 11:49:01

cornered? concerned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now