Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

18 weeks and rarely feel baby move?

(10 Posts)
dazedandconfuse Wed 08-Nov-17 19:42:38

This is my second pregnancy so thought I'd feel a lot more movement and stuff but all I really get is sometimes I feel the baby has totally shifted to one side or the other side and normally only when I'm lying down. The last couple of days I haven't even felt that.

Is that normal or should I be worried? Not sure if I'm just being paranoid sad

HumphreyCobblers Wed 08-Nov-17 19:43:59

Well I didn't feel my second baby as much as my first, she was lying differently I think, sort of facing in?

Having said that, I would still mention it to the midwife, or ask for a scan if you feel worried.

MothQuandary Wed 08-Nov-17 19:47:45

Quite a lot depends on where the placenta is.
And have you put on any weight since your first pregnancy?
I didn’t feel my second as much as my first but I think that was partly because he had shorter, fatter limbs than his lanky big sister.

Athome77 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:49:35

When your in bed and roll over do you feel anything move when you lie still again?

MrsPandaBear Wed 08-Nov-17 19:58:16

I felt my first move at about 15 weeks. DD had an anterior placenta and I didn't feel her until about 21 weeks. Even then it was much subtler - for ages I could only feel movement round the edges, there was a big spot in the middle I couldn't feel anything (presumably where the placenta was). If you ask they will tell you where the placenta is at the 20 week scan, I was very reassured when i found as I'd started to worry.

If you are worried do check with your midwife, but from memory when I asked at about 18 weeks for the same reason I think it might be too early for them to be concerned.

MarmiteandToast Wed 08-Nov-17 20:23:50

I was just about a start a thread about this! 20 weeks now and at times feel several distinct pokes in a row at times over last couple of weeks, then nothing at all for a couple of days. My placenta is high anterior, but the movements when I do feel them are unmistakeable and not muffled, it's just they are so rare.

Saying that they've moved from bottom right to quite high up so maybe due to placenta and baby position I only feel them when baby adventures beyond it's usual spot?

northdownmummy Wed 08-Nov-17 21:14:17

If I’m remembering right, your still pretty early for regular movements. My second pregnancy I felt a lot less movement than my first. I was told the placenta was right at the front and muffling most of her kicks and wriggles.
I ended up at hospital twice due to reduced movement. Each time they put a trace on and saw that she was very active. I just couldn’t feel it. The nurses always said they’d much rather a false alarm than someone be worrying and not get checked out.

reetgood Wed 08-Nov-17 21:16:46

I totally had this, first pregnancy and anterior placenta. Also didn’t really feel much until after 20 week scan. What I’ve realised is that he doesn’t really do the kind of movements that people describe as flutters or kicks, so I was a bit lost on what I was looking for. Now I’m at 31 weeks its easier to identify movements but he stretches and rolls rather than kicks. As I understand babies are different so he may just have a different pattern from your first?

I got a bit worried and so downloaded a kicks counter around a month ago as I still couldn’t really identify a pattern. A couple of days tracking helped me tune in to his particular pattern which was helpful.

FretYeNot Wed 08-Nov-17 21:25:28

Same here with number 3. Placenta at the front, didn't feel any movement until 18 weeks. They also had trouble finding her heartbeat on a doppler at 17 weeks. It may have no bearing, but I showed least with my number 3 babe, as if she was practically under my lungs and in the dead centre of my body!

thingymaboob Wed 08-Nov-17 22:37:07

I didn't start to feel movements until 21 weeks. I'm now 31 weeks and she won't stop moving! I think 18 weeks is quite early for most.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: