Talk

Advanced search

Clexane

(15 Posts)
WelshMammy123 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:39:29

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I have a prescription for clexane due to previous losses. I managed to get the first months worth from boots but I’m struggling with this next month. I’ve tried Well, Boots and Lloyd’s but all say they can’t get it. Has anyone else had any joy getting it from anywhere else? Running out of places to try.

Thanks in advance.

PenelopePuddleduck Wed 08-Nov-17 18:23:16

I’ve just gone to pick up the rest of my prescription and the pharmacist says there is a national shortage that will last until end of the year. Obviously this sent me into a panic as i only have 2 weeks supply left but I’ve been in touch with the Midwives who said they’ll contact the gp/consultants for an alternative. I think clexane is the brand name and there will be other solutions with the same make up (I hope!).

I would advise you to go back to whoever prescribed it but I’ll keep this post updated with what I find out. They’re calling me back tomorrow night.

Chocolatecake12 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:28:04

Have you tried the hospital pharmacy?

WelshMammy123 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:36:50

Thanks for your replies. Sorry you’re having the same problems. I’ve just sent an email to the fertility clinic that prescribed it to ask if there is an alternative. I’ll update when I hear back. I have a doctors appt tomorrow so will mention there as well. Don’t really need this anxiety on top of everything else do we?!

PenelopePuddleduck Wed 08-Nov-17 18:54:01

Definitely not Welsh! I almost had a breakdown in the pharmacy when they told me! The midwife didn’t seem too concerned though so hoping there is an easy solution. It’s such a worrying time and to have worries about obtaining the recommended medication on top of it all isn’t fair.

Sorry to hear about your previous losses. This is my 4th pregnancy (3 losses) and I’ve gotten further than ever before so hopefully the clexane is doing its job and we can continue to get it.

I’ll keep you posted with what they say tomorrow.

tigerdog Wed 08-Nov-17 21:07:57

My hospital switched to prescribing dalteparin, which should do the same thing. They may also suggest fragmin as an alternative. I’ve had that before from a fertility clinic, as some places prefer to prescribe it as standard.

It just adds to the stress doesn’t it?! I’m on it due to recurrent losses too, so have been all over the place with worry.

WelshMammy123 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:16:27

Thanks for that Tiger - reassuring to know that alternatives exist. Yes it’s very stressful - just when you think you’ve maybe found an answer to what’s happened in the past you have to face this angst. Hoping all’s sorted soon. Sounds like there are options which is really reassuring x

WelshMammy123 Thu 09-Nov-17 09:37:23

Morning,

Quick update from me. I saw my GP this morning and asked about Clexane. She said that she’s seeing lots of women being prescribed Tinzaparin instead. She couldn’t give it to me as wasn’t sure on dose so I’ve emailed my fertility clinic again to see if this is an option and if so what dose. I’ll update as I hear anything. Hope you get some answers today Penelope x

PenelopePuddleduck Thu 09-Nov-17 20:00:10

Thanks for the update! My midwife called me back today and said they’ve received word of the alternative to use. She couldn’t remember what it was called but was going to pass the information onto the pharmacy when she found it. Apparently I don’t need a new prescription as it’s just a different type of the enoxoparin (I think!). I’ll check with the pharmacy at the weekend if they’ve received the info yet!

Oldschool41 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:28:43

I’m 35 weeks and 3 days and I have been clexane what feels like forever... I didn’t have no trouble getting them from my consultant then taking the prescription to the hospital pharmacist but trying to get any from my doctor or any local chemist was a bloody pain and so frustrating especially as your needing to inject everyday

Rememberallball Fri 10-Nov-17 09:55:56

I’m on Clexane (for DE IVF) and pharmacy couldn’t get it but, thankfully, my GP had prescribed it as enoxaparin which is the drug name not the brand (which is Clexane). One local pharmacy were able to get it for us the same day and the brand they got is inhixa)

PenelopePuddleduck Sat 11-Nov-17 15:49:22

Just a quick update - I've been given Inhixia too. Apparently this is the new biosimilar enoxaparin.

Hope you've got your replacement by now WelshMammy!

Cacole78 Sat 11-Nov-17 19:31:30

This is reassuring to read. I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been on Clexane since 4 weeks and have to take through entire pregnancy. I had a panic today as the pharmacist said no more Clexane for at least 6 months because the new batch has been withdrawn. He gave me Inhixa too. I am worried to change halfway through pregnancy but I also found out this product was only released in Sep 17! Has anyone started the new injections? Everything ok?

Rememberallball Sat 11-Nov-17 21:09:20

Apart from bruising on my injection sites (which I know to expect) I’m finding no issue with Inhixa!!

KellyMarieTunstall2 Sun 12-Nov-17 08:35:15

This is the second time this has happened this year, and the stress it causes trying rustle up syringes from multiple syringes. I got 8/30 from tesco pharmacy, and they are trying to get the rest. I am 38 weeks so hope I can manage to the end. Fragmin, and tinzaparin are both similar alternatives. It might be worth swapping now to avoid the clexane problem. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now