Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

25 weeks waters broken - help

(179 Posts)
lolacola1977 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:58:57

Can’t believe I’m asking this on mumsnet but...am lying in a local hospital bed, waters have broken, not yet in labour but cervix open a bit...local hospital have been trying for 2 hrs to find me a bed in a neonatal unit...they have found one at St Thomas’s but waiting to hear whether there is a bed for me. They have told me I might then have to wait another 2 hrs for an ambulance to transfer me. Has anyone ever used a private ambulance service? Any advice as to what I should be asking for / demanding? I am conscious that I could go into labour at any minute and at that point it will be touch and go for the baby who will need a neonatal bed. They have given me steroids / antibiotics etc.

BabyDreams2018 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:05:14

Can someone drive you instead of waiting for an ambulance? Ask the hospital to ring around and find a bed if possible. Fwiw my MW broke my waters but DC wasn't born for another five hours so you might be OK if you're not in active labour.

lolacola1977 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:06:46

Doc said it’s a bad idea to drive myself in case I go into labour...has been 6hrs now since waters broke sad

Alicekeach Wed 08-Nov-17 15:09:36

I don’t now have any advice on the ambulance, but as a mother of a premature baby, I just wanted to send you all the luck in the world. Neonatal units are amazing places and your baby will be given every possible chance.

lolacola1977 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:14:50

Thank you, did you deliver in a neonatal unit? I am really worried I am going to have to deliver in my local hospital which just isn’t equipped for it.

Mrscog Wed 08-Nov-17 15:19:26

I understand your anxious, but I’m sure you’re in good hands. You’re not in labour yet, so you should be ok and you’re in a good place while you wait (no not the best, but better than in your own car/Home etc). Good luck op. flowers

Sakura03 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:20:56

I'm afraid I have no advice but I really hope they find you a bed asap. Do you have anyone with you for support? Wishing you all best darlingflowers

Ilovelampandchair Wed 08-Nov-17 15:20:58

It is possible for waters to break and baby not to arrive for days or weeks. Every day helps. So do follow their instructions on movement etc to try and keep baby in there as long as possible! I assume you've been getting your steroid injections?

lolacola1977 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:24:46

Had steroids and literally not moving apart from going to the loo...trying to think non-labour thoughts, been reduced to reading Ken Dodd jokes to take my mind off it! Thank god for an iPhone.

Kannet Wed 08-Nov-17 16:05:50

Sending best wishes. I hope you get transferred soon

Lily2007 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:13:16

Sending you best wishes - hope they can move you soon.

Not the same but my waters broke at 36 weeks 4 days and they told me they try to not deliver before 37 weeks if there's no sign of infection. I think they will want the baby inside you as long as possible though check with doctors.

I was induced by doctors and then transferred to NICU. NHS is not in a great place at the moment, I'm going for hospital treatment and its not great. Hope everything works out.

Mummyme87 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:20:51

Sit tight. You will get transferred somewhere. You will be monitored for infection and if no signs then they will aim to get you to at least 34weeks depending on trust policy. Obviously you may go into labour before then

VivaLeBeaver Wed 08-Nov-17 16:35:49

Ask them about mag sulph. It's fairly new but we use it routinely at our hospital for pre term deliveries, offers neuro protection to the baby.

We sometimes deliver babies this prem at our hospital and we're not really geared up for babies this small. However we know what we're doing in the short term and are very capable of caring for baby if needed until the transport team come to move baby to a bigger unit. Hopefully they will find you a bed, hopefully you won't labour.....but if you do deliver there try not to worry too much.

CherriesInTheSnow Wed 08-Nov-17 22:07:13

I hope you are okay OP, wishing you and your baby all the best flowers

BarbaraOcumbungles Wed 08-Nov-17 22:15:26

sad sorry you're goring through it. Awful thing to happen. My waters went with ds at 21 weeks and he was evicted at 27. He's almost 9 and is fine.

Make sure you get the steroids asap.

lolacola1977 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:53:51

Just to update you all, thanks for your messages...I have made it through the night without going into labour which is good news, as you know, every hour counts at the moment. I was blue lighted to Kings last night after waiting more than 4 hrs for the ambulance but I am here and comfortable and feel that I am being well looked after. Just have to hope and pray baby decides to stay put without developing an infection for as long as possible...I have been given steroids and antibiotics and I know they will do everything they can for us...fingers crossed

NooNooHead Thu 09-Nov-17 09:19:29

I was born 3 months prem in 1981 and was in King’s College 36 years ago, and am doing ok. Your baby will be ok and in the best possible place and hands, so try to remain as calm as you possibly can (easier said than done, I know).

If it’s the same King’s hospital in London you are at, your baby is in the best place. If i’d not been there, I certainly wouldn’t be here today.

Wishing you all the luck and love in the world.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 09-Nov-17 09:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lily2007 Thu 09-Nov-17 09:38:43

Hope the baby stays put as long as possible though they are amazing with prem babies.

Glad to hear you are in the right place at least and hope everything works out fine. Hope you find something to do in hospital too.

InThisTogether Thu 09-Nov-17 10:07:04

I have nothing constructive to add but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you OP x
Good luck.

lolacola1977 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:55:57

Thank you, I have just seen the neonatal docs and they were as positive as could be hoped...it sounds like they are totally on it...but it is literally just a waiting game...apparently 75% go into labour within 72 hrs and I am nearly at 36 hrs but because membranes are bulging it could happen any minute and quickly...been watching dynasty to take my mind off it!

AnaWinter Thu 09-Nov-17 12:58:31

Best of luck. Do you have anyone with you for support?

WhatKatyDidnt Thu 09-Nov-17 13:03:22

So glad you are safely in Kings. Your baby will have the best possible chance of a good outcome. I'm the mum of a born-at-1lb baby (who is now 5 and fantastic). I will be thinking of you.

WhatKatyDidnt Thu 09-Nov-17 13:08:55

You may want to keep your mind off it for now, but if your baby is born early and you want to learn more about life in the neonatal unit, the Bliss Family Handbook is a great resource. The hospital may have a paper copy, or you can order it for free online: www.bliss.org.uk/Shop/bliss-family-handbook

DontShootMeDown Thu 09-Nov-17 13:09:09

Thinking of you OP. As others have said Kings is a great unit so you are in the best place. My good friend had her waters break and delivered her baby three days later at 25+6 she was at Kings. The baby was very ill at first but she’s now 5 and other than needing glasses there are no long term affects.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: