Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Vulva pain ??

(12 Posts)
Penguin27 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:51:06

I wondered if anyone has experienced this, or has any idea what it might be?

Currently 30 weeks pregnant and the last couple of days I’ve had a pain in my vulva after using the loo. It’s like a bruised sensation around my urethra when I wipe.

There was a little bit of spotting on the tissue yesterday, but I have cervical ectropion so I’m assuming it’s because of that. Seems to have stopped now.

I also have a feeling of pressure low down and lower back pain, but I think that could be baby shifting into a head-down position (?)

Any ideas?

joyandgladness Wed 08-Nov-17 13:56:48

I think it would be worth ringing the midwife just to check this with her. Good luck X

Penguin27 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:56:59

Sorry, meant to say in the first post but forgot (baby brain!)... no signs of UTI. Wee all the bloody time, but that seems to be my normal at the moment.

Hannabee123 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:34

I keep having it when I walk for some strange reason. No other time unless I don't wee for ages. I'm putting it down to the pressure / weight of baby. I find if I sit for long periods my fanny hurts confused

mindutopia Wed 08-Nov-17 14:34:04

It's possible it's varicose veins. It's like piles but for your vulva. They can be really common late in pregnancy and it especially makes sense given you're feeling pressure. I've had then since about 24 weeks (also have piles, which aren't as bad). They can sometimes bleed or be irritated as the skin is stretching a lot just like piles can. If no sign of UTI and you don't think it's thrush (worth checking), I would have a look and see if anything looks different. Varicose veins tend to cause a blue ish tinge where a vein is swollen and that area will be quite sore. If that is what it is, there's nothing much you can do for it other than keep up with pelvic floor exercises, sit on things that make it more comfortable (I sit on my birth ball most of the day) and gentle exercise but not too much so that you aren't constantly on your feet, no straining to poo, etc. They go away after birth.

Penguin27 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:51:53

Varicose veins doesn’t sound very pleasant but could be the culprit confused I’ll have a look later, with the help of a mirror. Thanks, mindutopia

If I can’t see anything then will speak to midwife... but might wait until next appointment (Sunday) rather than bothering them with something minor.

Penguin27 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:05:19

Update - my very non-medical opinion is that it could well be varicose veins sad looks blueish and swollen. Should I mention this to the midwife at my next appointment?

Rach000 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:15:51

I have got pain down there as well. Feels a bit bruised sometimes and hurts when I stand up and walk. Feels like the baby is pushing down. The midwife said I had a low cervix when I last saw her as the babies head was quite far down. I am 33 weeks so still got a bit to go. The pain has got worse since I saw her so think I will mention when i go next week.
Does an exercise ball help with the pain? Think I might need to get one.

Penguin27 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:05:53

Sorry to hear you’re suffering too! What effect does a low cervix have on your pregnancy?

I was sitting on my ball for a bit last night but I just found it really uncomfortable, like I was sitting right on the bruised bits! It doesn’t feel quite so bad this morning though.

Online gives conflicting information about whether to use a warm/cold compress confused

mindutopia Thu 09-Nov-17 10:10:27

You can mention it if you want. They won't bother with it really as it's harmless, but she might have some suggestions for you. I've not done any compresses. But sitting on something comfortable does help (like something not hard), pelvic floor exercises (I do them 4-5 times a day and I think that's made a difference), drinking lots of water and trying not to get constipated as straining to poo can make them worse, etc. I find they come and go in terms of how painful they are. A few weeks ago I was really uncomfortable and now it's much better, though still there, just not constantly annoying me.

Rach000 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:08:17

I don't really have a clue what a low cervix means for my pregnancy. I didn't ask at the time as was feeling ok but think I will ask more when I see the midwife next. I have already had a baby before, so don't think it can be a bit issue as wasn't a problem last time and I had quite an easy pregnancy and birth.
I need to do more pelvic floor exercises, not very good at remembering to do them!

Penguin27 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:55:06

Hopefully it’s just one of those things that they observe and comment on, but it doesn’t really mean anything.

I’m also terrible at remembering to do pelvic floor exercises! Really must try harder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: