Talk

Advanced search

Pregnacare

(30 Posts)
Whitley83 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:29:23

I'm around 6 weeks and bought pregnacare today, does anyone else take extra vits? Just trying to make my baby string as possible so they stick xx

MonkeyJumping Tue 07-Nov-17 15:31:29

Taking vitamins is a good idea, keeps you healthy.

Don't be alarmed if your pee turns bright yellow, its common on pregnacare

Ilovelampandchair Tue 07-Nov-17 15:33:38

I found pregnacare made me sick as a dog. So I didn't take them for baby #2, 3 or 4.

Rebeccaslicker Tue 07-Nov-17 15:34:58

I do. I got properly suckered in by the marketing and pay £19 for the pregnacare max!!

Expectingbsbunumber2 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:36:00

I was giving healthy start vitamins by the midwife,

user1493413286 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:41:06

My midwife told me just to take the supermarket brand ones and save my money as they’re all the same, just different labels

EastDulwichWife Tue 07-Nov-17 15:41:36

I started taking these but after a month I found I couldn't swallow them! Totally in my head of course, but I switched to Seven Seas.

Cracklesfire Tue 07-Nov-17 15:49:47

Pregnacare made me sooo sick last time.

I'm now taking a basic Holland & Barrett folic acid with vit d & sachets of liquid iron.

thumbelina03 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:51:28

Switched to sevenseas as Pregnacare Max made me feel so I'll. Plus they're too large too swallow without retching.

Duvetlover Tue 07-Nov-17 15:55:56

Maybe it’s just me...I’m so badly constipated.... I put it down to pregnacare? Eat loads of fruit/ green veggies and branflakes! 10 weeks

EastDulwichWife Tue 07-Nov-17 15:59:08

Ooo Branflakes. I must buy some on the way home - hopefully they'll help with the constipation. I cannot bear the sight of green veg... sad

pastabest Tue 07-Nov-17 16:03:32

Don't take extra vitamins on top of pregnacare it has everything you need in it and more.

Most generic multivitamins also contain vitamin A which you shouldn't be consuming extra of in pregnancy.

Personally I think pregnacare is a rip off and every time I have taken it and supermarket dupes of it they made me feel sick. I think it's possibly the iron (which can also make you constipated)

I am taking just folic acid and Vitamin d this time round (third pregnancy) and feel so much better sickness wise.

MaderiaCycle Tue 07-Nov-17 16:05:48

I took folic acid and vitamin D as recommended by the midwife. Both about a quid each from the chemist. I had a week's free sample of Pregnacare but it made me so ill (and possibly constipated - hadn't put it down to the pregnacare before!)

I'd go cheap and just get the ones you need. As longs you're eating veg and the like you'll be okay for the other vits.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 07-Nov-17 16:12:51

OP I would definitely take the vitamins even if you have a good diet. Pregnacare have lots of great research and statistics on their website. It won't do any harm and if anything might give you some piece of mind, in a time that can be a little bit of worry.

For those who struggle to swallow the Pregnacare tablets, they also do it in liquid form. I used to take the medicine with my evening meal to try and prevent further sickness. Now that I'm second trimester I find that it doesn't make it nauseas at all anymore.
I do also take seven seas from time to time which are good as they are tiny.

pastabest Tue 07-Nov-17 16:18:20

I doubt pregnacare's website is going to contain unbiased information about if spending £££ on a fancy multivitamin is essential I'm afraid forever.

Official advice is folic acid and vitamin D are the essential ones. Everything else is just extra gubbins and marketing to women at a vulnerable point in their lives, and as lots of people have said on this thread makes makes some people feel worse.

LostMyBaubles Tue 07-Nov-17 16:20:09

Tescos own brand pregnancy vits are fab and cheap

littlemissalwaystired Tue 07-Nov-17 16:21:23

Can definitely recommend taking supermarket own brand, they're much cheaper and just as good. As long as the vitamins are specifically for pregnancy then that and a healthy diet is all you will need. smile

zaalitje Tue 07-Nov-17 18:03:05

Pregnancare = constipation

MsP0b Tue 07-Nov-17 18:13:01

Pregnacare tablets made me horrifically constipated. I switched to pregnacare liquid medicine which was fine. It’s the iron. Iron tablets cause constipation but iron liquid doesn’t. Weird but true.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:34:20

Thank you @Pastabest
I'm merely giving my opinion just like everybody else. For those who are happy enough just to take vitamin d and folic acid, good for them.
It was my midwife that recommended Pregnacare. If I choose to spend my money on 'fancy vitamins' thats my prerogative.

Hulaballoo Tue 07-Nov-17 19:07:31

I studied the labels for ages in the supermarket lol... Seven seas has a higher % of some vits than others, pregnacare has the extra omega 3 tablet, supermarket own has slightly less in some vits but they all have same amount of folic acid, vit D... Which are the main ones to look for. X

bathghter Tue 07-Nov-17 19:59:53

pregnacare gave me a squatty botty so there!

Mrstobe90 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:07:32

I started taking pregnacare 3 months before we conceived and have continued taking it throughout my pregnancy. I've had no problems with it except that my pee is bright yellow lol

Duvetlover Wed 08-Nov-17 08:36:34

Oh my gosh I would kill for a squaty botty!
Interesting didn’t know they did it (pregnacare not poopblush) in liquid form.....
I’ll keep dreaming of a regular bowel movement until then... sighgrin

ClaireBear1986 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:42:57

I take Pregnacare Max, which is £21 for a month's supply but often on special offer, which is when I stock up.

A lot of people seem to say Pregnacare makes them feel sick. My Midwife advised that this can be down to the iron, and to take the pills with Orange Juice instead of water. I do this and have never had any problems at all with the Pregnacare tablets.

I was told that I didn't need to take anything else for the baby with these tablets.
I do take Vitamin C tablets on top, as I have a low immune system. And Midwife confirmed that this is fine smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: