Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for dealing with rib pain?

(15 Posts)
ScarlettInSpace Tue 07-Nov-17 09:17:57

I’m 29 weeks and I’ve had this for the last 3-4 weeks, It’s not P-E, I’ve no other symptoms, my bp is normal & I had some bloods done a couple of weeks ago...

It’s just so bloody painful! Like a burning under the bottom of my right rib cage 😖 it woke me up twice last night.

I’m trying to keep an eye on my posture, especially when I’m sat at my desk, also wearing sports bras instead of underwire when I’m at home, taking paracetamol (but I don’t like taking too much)

Is there any other tips I can try? Especially at night, my sleep is patchy enough at the mo without waking up in pain then I can’t get back to sleep 😤

TIA 😃

squadronleader87 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:51:41

I don’t have much advice, but just wanted to say you aren’t alone! I’ve had this for quite a while and have been doing the same stuff as you. I find stretching out in the evening helps, and I also got a body pillow.

flossyfloss Tue 07-Nov-17 09:54:08

I’ve got the same sad hardly slept last night! I’ve started to take paracetamol and have my dp rub my back, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern to when it starts either angry

Fannyfannakerpants Tue 07-Nov-17 09:58:36

I get this. I tell myself it must be better than pelvis pain?
Sitting on a ball helped and heart burn made it worse so i got omeprezel (not sure on spelling).

Mrstobe90 Tue 07-Nov-17 13:27:17

I get this terribly in my right ribs! I find that sitting up is awful but being in a reclined position helps smile

Grimmfebruary Tue 07-Nov-17 13:29:33

I try stretch out when I get this, to me it feels almost like pins and needles in a like but really intense? I just lean right back in my desk chair, I look stupid but it helps 😂

TonicAndTonic Tue 07-Nov-17 13:56:38

flowers OP, I'm also 29 weeks pg and have a had a couple of weeks of this now. It's really sore! Like you all my tests are normal.
For me though it's worse after eating (interesting that pp mentioned heartburn as I'm not getting typical heartburn symptoms but its got me wondering) and when I'm sitting upright - I find lying down or standing/walking are actually much better.

I've found that stretching both arms above my head every so often helps when I'm sitting down. also getting up and walking around for a bit. Sometimes a heat pack helps me, but not always. Have you tried a warm bath/shower before bed? Also, do you have a pregnancy pillow? I've got a big u-shaped one which is really comfortable at night,

ScarlettInSpace Wed 08-Nov-17 07:57:12

Thanks everyone, it’s always reassuring to know you’re not alone!

Someone gave me a curly body pillow to try so I gave it a go last night but to be honest I ditched it about half 3, I kept waking up because I couldn’t move around [I’m a fidget lol, just like this baby!]

The pain is there pretty much all the time now, I guess I’ll just have to keep stretching & taking paracetamol and hope it doesn’t last for the next 11 or so weeks 🙈😖

Someone suggested heat packs, I might try and get one of them today & see if that helps...

ScarlettInSpace Wed 08-Nov-17 07:59:19

tonic it is bad after eating, but then it’s bad when I wake up into middle of the night hours after I’ve eaten so I’m really at a loss to see a pattern 🤷‍♀️

ScarlettInSpace Wed 08-Nov-17 11:10:27

I noticed today what looks like bruises along the bottom of my rib cage 🤔
I’m starting to empathise with Bella in Twilight 😂😂

Brambles21 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:31:17

Have you noticed if it gets any worse after eating fatty food? Pain under the right rib cage can be caused by gall stones. And gall stones are more common in pregnancy.

Having said that I had similar pain early on in my first pregnancy and it must have been my rib cage expanding as I had my gall bladder removed several years before. The pain reminded me a lot of the gall stone pain though.

asongforthelovers Wed 08-Nov-17 13:38:45

Gall bladder?

I had rib pain on the right side during pregnancy few weeks back, ended up being the baby’s head as he went transverse?

Newmanwannabe Wed 08-Nov-17 13:47:07

You don't have any itchiness in your hands and feet or abdomen? Have they tested you for cholestastis?

ScarlettInSpace Wed 08-Nov-17 21:08:07

No itchiness, they took what looked like 3 pints of blood when the gp did tests a couple of weeks ago, I’ll ask the midwife next week what they actually tested for!

She does sit quite high [the baby not the midwife lol] so it’s probably just the ligaments around my rib cage stretching.

I’ll try a heat pack in bed tonight...

Girliefriendlikesflowers Wed 08-Nov-17 21:11:45

I had this and it was gallstones, the pain tends to be severe and come on after eating. It felt a bit like I was being crushed and it comes in waves, pretty grim tbh.

Def worth discussing with your midwife or G.P.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now