Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20-week scan: baby not changing position

(5 Posts)
fishkat Tue 07-Nov-17 09:10:26

Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone had some insight into my issue (and my first post!)...

I'm 21 weeks and went for my second 20-week scan yesterday, first one not all the measurements could be taken as baby wasn't in the right position. He was in the same position this time, but because he was somehow moving all the measurements were done and are normal.

However the sonographer said she wants to see me again at 28 weeks as she 'wasn't happy' that he never flipped. When pressed about whether that could be a problem, she couldn't really answer the question and reassured me everything was fine and she's seen it before in normal babies. But she couldn't specify why she wants to see me again. She asked about my Down's screening which came out the best it could (very low chance), she said he didn't have any other markers for it or anything else. I've never heard/read that lack of position change was a marker for any genetic disorder?

Honestly, she was very unhelpful and also not very nice which wasn't great. Has anyone experienced anything like this, with the baby not changing positions at all?
Thanks in advance.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:26:26

At my 20 week scan, I was told to jump and down slightly to change baby's position, I thought oh ok. It worked

confusedlittleone Tue 07-Nov-17 09:53:40

at 20 with no other indicators of anything then I wouldn't worry, unfortunately babies never seem to get the memo of what we need/want them to do!

mindutopia Tue 07-Nov-17 10:08:09

It's very typical for this to happen. Did she have you walk around one the day? With my first, I came in for my scan and she got some measurements but not enough. So she had me go walk around the hospital and up and down the stairs for about 15 minutes and then come back and they tried again. No luck. So they made me sit out in reception and drink a really sugary tea to see if the sugar helped to wake her up. It didn't, so after a third try. They booked me in again. I had a 2nd scan and they were able to finish up. But it's not uncommon for babies to lie in similar positions as it can have a lot to do with the structure of your pelvis, where placenta is attached, how you sit all day and your posture, etc. and just chance. Also, frankly a lot comes down to the skill of the sonographer. If she is new or just not very good, she may struggle more than someone else might. I don't think that sounds very odd though and it's good they are bringing you back in. Baby should be much more up and out of your pelvis by then.

fishkat Tue 07-Nov-17 10:33:12

Thanks so much for your replies - I feel a bit better now. Stubborn baby eh.

Yes she had me move around, he did move and we got all the measurements, just didn't switch positions. She said she's seen this in athletic women (what that has to do with that she couldn't explain, lack of explanation seemed to be a theme of the visit!), but while I run and do circuits I wouldn't consider myself athletic... haha.

I just spoke to my midwife, she said she's never heard of a sonographer being concerned about flipping and making someone come in at 28 weeks, which is late if there is a problem, but she has referred me to an obstetrician just to reassure me and get a second opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now