Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby clothes / blankets etc - wash before wear?

(17 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Mon 06-Nov-17 12:24:05

All brand new, some homemade.

FTM so I really don't know !

Some people have said no, others yes but then a family member advised me to only wash some of the early sizes as baby may be sensitive to the powder etc which could result in rewashing / binning.

Also - what do you use? I currently use Surf (bio) Comfort Pure and occasionally Dettol laundry cleanser.

Any advice?

ChocolateRaisin Mon 06-Nov-17 12:56:27

I’m 35 weeks now and I’ve just washed all of my newborn/ 0-1 mo th clothes. All blankets, towels, sheets, muslins etc- everything I’ll need in the first month that can be washed has been. I’ve used non bio washing liquid and comfort pure. I think the advice is to wash everything but I personally hate the smell of new clothes before they are washed so would have washed them first anyway.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:05:11

This is on my list for this week to wash baby clothes. I've got a non bio powder for his clothes.

welshweasel Mon 06-Nov-17 13:07:46

I didn't wash any of mine, nor did any of my friends. I don't wash new clothes that I buy now for any of the family.

MaryShelley1818 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:11:25

I will be washing all of my newborn clothes as advised to, I don't know anyone who hasn't tbh, that includes all friends and the several baby groups. That being said I'm sure baby will survive if you don't, it's just nicer to have clean clothes for them (lots of chemicals on new clothes)

DeadDoorpost Mon 06-Nov-17 13:11:30

I've just washed everything I was given brand New, and anything second hand that I felt was maybe a bit suspect (luckily only one or two items) I used the fairy non bio tablets and softener I got as freebies but use whatever it is that Aldi sell usually.

bettydraper31 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:24:25

We didn't wash anything and still never do now x

caravangirl Mon 06-Nov-17 14:27:46

No...if it's new I don't see the point!

OnNaturesCourse Mon 06-Nov-17 15:16:55

Thanks all xx

dangle90 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:24:31

I’m also wondering this, having twins so seems so much work to do 😫

Kellaree18 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:50:41

Personally I'm going to wash everything both new and secondhand because if the baby did develop a rash relating to washing powder/liquid I'd be able to know exactly which one it was straight away.

I don't wash my own clothes before wearing them, but I'm also not a tiny baby with a limited immune system. I've worked in retail, so I've seen how stock is treated behind the scenes.

confused123456 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:52:58

I didn't wash anything, my baby was perfectly fine.
Fairy non bio is recommended I believe. That's what I use. Plus I like it anyway.

Rosehyd2 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:58:10

I'd been wondering this too as I don't want to take the tags off and wash stuff that never ends up being worn. I'm a FTM too but have been warned if people buy lots for baby this will happen as they grow too quick, you stick to the basics early on etc.

Afterconkerseason Mon 06-Nov-17 16:59:26

We washed everything before DS was born, I believe lots of mass produced clothes get sprayed with chemicals to stop bugs etc during transit/storage. They also get handled a lot in the shops, I have never washed my own new clothes before wearing but continue to do so for DS blush

DD on the way now and will do the same for her too, habit now! I try not to wash things unnecessarily generally though, trousers and jumpers get a few wears which I know some people find mingling!

Afterconkerseason Mon 06-Nov-17 17:01:23

Minging not mingling!

Lules Mon 06-Nov-17 17:04:28

I don't because I'm lazy and there's so much laundry already without adding to it. You probably should though.

makemyminduptime Mon 06-Nov-17 17:07:25

I washed everything for my first baby, nothing's getting washed for this next one! Although anything that's being reused from last baby was washed before putting it away. I still wash all my child's clothes in non bio.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: