Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Not enjoying my job

(17 Posts)
1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 11:25:30

So I got a new job as a carer in people's homes then I found out I was pregnant the following day. I will be 14 weeks on Wednesday. Only thing is I work from 6.45 am and I can finish at 9.30 pm with 3 hours off in the middle. I enjoyed it at first but now I'm really dreading each day. I find it so tiring and I'm not sleeping well at night anyway. It's a hard job. I don't think I will qualify for maternity pay due to the timings starting this job. What I'm wondering is, is their any point looking for something else or should I just stick it out for the next 5 amd a half months?

noodleaddict Mon 06-Nov-17 11:37:49

Does your manager know you're pregnant and have you spoken to them about how you're feeling? It's their duty to risk assess you so you are protected during pregnancy from things that might put you at risk, such as your hours. Also things like moving and handling which I guess you do lots of if you're a carer.

Check your employer's maternity policy re your pay as you might be entitled.

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 12:03:26

Yeah they know. I told them as soon as i found out incase they didnt want me anymore. She still gives me extra clients each day even though she knows im tired and dont sleep well

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 12:04:59

Can you afford not to work?

Changerofname987654321 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:06:12

Have you had a risk assessment done?

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 12:09:38

Wolfie unfortunately not

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 12:10:12

Changeofname yes i have but i dont think it made any difference

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 12:11:09

Well then you can't just leave. Pregnancy can be tiring. Those hours sound relentless. Are they even legal? Do you have a union who can advise?

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 12:16:42

Wolfie i wouldn't just leave I would have to go to another job but a lot of companies wont take on pregnant women. I cant keep doing the hours im doing especially when i start to get better. Im just not sure whether to just stay and hate it for the next 5 months or just find something else

Ijustlovefood Mon 06-Nov-17 12:24:29

I'd stick it out but tell them you want to work less hours

Expectingbsbunumber2 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:49:24

I would Speak with your boss and ask if it's possible to reduce your hours! The hours you do now sound hellish!

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 12:53:12

Aw its so hard

thumbelina03 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:17:56

Check your maternity policy. Your employer has to safeguard you during pregnancy so could they not move you to office based? Secondly, if you don't qualify, you could just temp which would afford you sine flexibility in terms of hours and types of roles.

Disneyrules Mon 06-Nov-17 21:30:16

Hello lovely, thats awful theyre treating you like that. Id talk to them and explain your concerns....if theyre human they will understand. I'm in a similar predicament. I have got made redundant recently and so applied like mad for jobs only to find out I'm pregnant. I'm 5+4. I have some interviews coming up. Do I go to them?! I do have a previous history of miscarriage and am fortunate enough that financially we could probably afford it if I didn't work. Bit of a stress head and not sure what to do tbh

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 21:35:19

@thumbelina03 ive messaged 2 people to find out who i speak to about mat pay eligibility so far no response.

1987Laura Mon 06-Nov-17 21:36:04

@disneyrules definitely go for the interviews. You don't need to tell them about your pregnancy until you are ready.

thumbelina03 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:37:28

I am so sorry you're both having difficulties at the moment. Not great when hormones and emotions are high because of pregnancy.

Does the care home have a Head Office? I'd contact them for any policy and pay queries.

I'd also query those hours that you're working with ACAS in the first instance as they really don't sound humane.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: