Talk

Advanced search

Under active thyroid + pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Greymoon2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:47:13

Hello I literally just found out I'm pregnant while bf I had a little one Dec last year I had my meds increased during pregnancy and it's not gone down since but am I now supposed to increase again ? Can't speak to doc till tomorrow advice anyone

Hannabee123 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:20:25

No don't do anything with your medication until you've had blood tests and been seen. I don't understand why people start overdosing as soon as they are pregnant.
I haven't had to change my dose once and I'm 33 weeks pregnant now.
Don't start taking medication as you see fit else it will do more harm than good.

user1470147116 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:25:46

If your TSH is over 2.5 then you should probably increase your levothryoxine very slightly. This is what my consultant says!

Ekphrasis Mon 06-Nov-17 15:06:49

Check the nice guidelines, I’d get a test when you’re 5/6 weeks and see what it is. If tsh is 2.5 it over definitely raise by 25, they may suggest 50.

Mine was very low pre pregnancy (0.3) on 125 and went to 1.3 ish by 5 weeks. I felt safer taking an extra 25 every other day as had had issues in my first pregnancy, but was probably ok. By 9 weeks it was 1.5 so went to a straight 150 daily. I think I’m probably going to be fine on that but find out this week.

With my son i needed a lot more. It’s individual to each pregnancy and you may have some thyroid working that will accommodate it as a Pp has said above.

If In any doubt you can ask the gp to contact the obstetrician at the hospital to check.

Might be worth finding out what your last test result was, but definitely check in with the gp.

- not all gps are very knowledgeable about thyroid in pregnancy, you might want to print out the nice guidelines just in case.

Ekphrasis Mon 06-Nov-17 15:07:52

https://cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroidism#!scenario:3

Ekphrasis Mon 06-Nov-17 15:10:32

There will be more detail in your local HC group; this is an example, scroll to pregnancy info.

http://www.northoftyneapc.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2012/03/Thyroid-guidelines-North-of-Tyne-Area-Sept2016.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now