Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else just not feel like pregnancy was real..

(22 Posts)
GlitteryFluff Sun 05-Nov-17 22:00:14

When it clearly is happening?

With Ds I remember I just kept saying 'it doesn't feel real'. Even right up until the end.
I knew I was pregnant, I could feel him. I was prepared and organised with lists, everything bought, he was planned, but I just couldn't quite get my head around there being an actual baby inside of me? And that at some point the baby would be out and I'd have a child..

I'm 30 weeks with a Dd and I feel exactly the same again. I've had 3D scans, so I've seen her really clearly, I can feel her pretty non stop, planned again. But I just can't get my head around there being a baby in there and a baby at the end again. I can't envisage having two children. I'm so excited, but it just doesn't feel real.

Is this normal?
Did anyone else feel like that?

cakesandphotos Sun 05-Nov-17 22:02:39

Me! First baby for us. When I think of things we’ll be doing next March/April time, I cannot picture doing them with a baby! It sometimes makes me panic a bit but this is a planned and much wanted baby and I know it’ll be fine. It’s just a weird concept

SparkwoodAnd21 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:03:54

I’m still not sure it was real and DS is 2.5....

Bea1985 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:12:29

I'm 36 weeks pregnant, on mat leave and doing baby prep ALL the time.... Baby planned, had 4d scans.... I do have odd moments of overwhelming joy (lucid moments I suppose) where it hits me and I well up. But generally..... I don't Feel like it's real. It could easily all be a rouse or a dream....It really is the oddest thing!

crazygirluk Sun 05-Nov-17 22:23:49

I've got 2 children and I'm 26 weeks with my third and it never feels real to me.

AnonEvent Sun 05-Nov-17 22:42:05

Same here, all through my pregnancy with DD, I felt disassociated form the fact that my growing bump, and aching bones and eternal need to pee was going to turn into a baby.

Even now (she’s one), I can’t quite believe it, I can’t believe she’s mine and I can’t believe that I, of all people, the person who waited until the I was 37 to try, who didn’t think they’d ever be a parent (I can’t explain that, I’d always wanted a child, but I hadn’t for one second believed it would happen for me) has a daughter.

Even more so, because she’s a really great little girl.

GlitteryFluff Sun 05-Nov-17 22:50:55

I am sooooo glad that others feel the same.
I felt like there was something wrong with me when anybody I talk to in real life is like oh my god no it's so real for me etc.
I figured maybe wth second it'd feel real and when it hasn't I've started worrying again.
But, I'm not alone. Makes me feel much better.

AccrualIntentions Sun 05-Nov-17 22:52:27

I'm being induced in a week and still feel a bit removed/in denial from the actual baby bit of it. I've had a really easy pregnancy and feel like I could easily stay this way for another few months. Thinking about actually caring for a child still feels a bit overwhelming. Talking about it with my DH, he feels the same way.

DeadDoorpost Sun 05-Nov-17 22:53:28

38 weeks and I just feel fat. Even though I have a clear pregnant belly and a baby shoving his elbows into my hips. I feel like I'm on a sort of never ending summer holiday (practically true as I finished uni in April and not been working since then either)

Parney Sun 05-Nov-17 22:58:58

DS isn’t almost one and I still have this! When I was pregnant last time I couldn’t imagine a baby being the outcome at all, it just felt surreal. DD due in March and those feelings are back with a bang!!!

MyOtherProfile Sun 05-Nov-17 23:01:32

Felt exactly the same with both of mine. Seemed so unreal when there was a baby at the end of it - twice!

Chesca345 Sun 05-Nov-17 23:31:33

20 week scan for me tomorrow and hoping it will make this (my first) pregnancy seem more real, but nothing else has yet! I still feel really weird even talking to people about it out loud, in case the last few months have all been a dream and they'll have no idea what I'm talking about!

Mrstobe90 Mon 06-Nov-17 00:43:06

Yes!!
I am EXACTLY the same! Pregnant with DC1 and even though she’s constantly kicking and wriggling and we’ve had a 3D scan, I just can’t get my head around it!

I know that I’m pregnant and I know I’ll give birth but a small part of me thinks that everything will go back to normal. I can’t quite get my head around the fact that there’ll be a little person at the end of this!

Everyone keeps saying that it’ll feel real when they place her on my chest, so I hope that it’s true! Lol

Hazandduck Mon 06-Nov-17 05:43:56

Yep. It’s just surreal. I’m 39 weeks with DC1 and I keep saying to DH “But can you actually believe we are having a baby? A real life human?” I can’t believe a whole new person is in there (currently hiccoughing!)
Congratulations on your pregnancy, I totally get how you feel.

Erica891 Mon 06-Nov-17 08:11:08

So true. I had this feeling and it's so unreal until I had my LO in my arms. It seemed so magical and yet seemed so real. I'd say enjoy every bit because that's the process of being a lady to motherhood.

Oysterbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 08:48:18

Yep I feel exactly the same. I'm 34 weeks with my second. I know he's in there but it doesn't feel real.

Cockmagic Mon 06-Nov-17 08:52:09

Yes it only felt really the moment she was placed on me - and now of course 😄

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 06-Nov-17 08:52:54

Yes! Both times actually having a baby came as a BIG shock confused
I have always put it down to my shaky grasp of time and inability to envisage future events as real things.

sammy891 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:06:02

Me too!! Third one and there is a gap between the last pregnancy. It still doesn't feel real despite the bump growing.

eyestotheskies Mon 06-Nov-17 19:18:05

Ha, yes! This thread resonates so much with me. I'm 37 weeks with third dc and still can't believe there'll be an actual baby here. Even more crazy is that I'm a mw!

Siarie Tue 07-Nov-17 12:05:04

Yes, 28 weeks here and I felt just the same with both my pregnancies

SomePpl Tue 07-Nov-17 19:05:11

Lucky! Mine was real when I was severely ill with Hyperemises at 5 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now