Talk

Advanced search

Polyp/fibroid on cervix

(6 Posts)
HanMay1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:43:54

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has had the same experience as me... I am 21+4 with my first baby and have had bright red bleeding on and off since 9 weeks, which has been very heavy at times but light at others.
I have been checked each time and I'm being seen by colposcopy and they have put it down to a polyp/fibroid (they can't say exactly what it is) on my cervix which has not caused any problems for baby but have to be monitored each time. I have been admitted to hospital overnight twice now only to be sent away in the morning with the advice that there is nothing they can do and that I will be 'very lucky' not to bleed again and to keep in touch.
I am due to see colposcopy again at 25 weeks where they may biopsy which could result in heavy bleeding and possibly a risk of miscarriage/premature labour.
Has anybody else been in the same position? Has it got worse with gestation? I am worried each time I go to the bathroom in case I have bled again and have to go back to the hospital.
Any advice would be great but if not I hope this helps someone who is in the same situation as would be happy to let you know how it progresses

Sunshinesaz86 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:13:23

Hi hanmay I'm in a similar ish boat. Had a bleed at 12 weeks and spotted for nearly 5 weeks after. They checked cervix and have spotted a polyp/growth or something so I've been referred to colposcopy but my appointment isn't until December and I'll be approx 24 weeks if they suggest a biopsy I will be telling them id rather wait until I've had the baby (beginning of April) as what's 3 months in the grand scheme of things.

Your obviously a bit different as more bleeding and hospital admissions so I do hope things settle down for you soon. X

HanMay1 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:17:32

Hi, yes, yours does seem to be a little more settled than mine but it can still be a scary thing any bleeding you get! I think they wait until 24 weeks as the foetus is then 'viable' and there is a higher chance of survival if you do bleed. I think I got seen quickly as my bleeds have been significant.
Were you given any advice after you bleed of what to/not to do? The only thing they have suggested is avoid sex, but nothing else. I just hope it all settles.
Good luck, I'm due mid March so not too soon before you

FeatheredTail Mon 06-Nov-17 07:29:48

Hi there, I had a polyp which caused a bleed at 16w. I had no idea what was causing the bleed, rushed to EPU, was examined by not one, but two doctors - who gave nothing away in terms of what they were looking at - and before I knew it had whipped it out! The nurse told me afterwards what it was and that it had been removed.

I don't know if this was a risky move by the consultant, but I bled overnight in hospital and then that was it - no bother after that.

Is having it taken out an option do you think? The stress of seeing blood whilst pregnant must be horrible for you.

Jessiecat27 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:53:06

I had a polyp removed, they didn't tell me it could of caused any damage getting it removed, bled a little after but not much, I was terrified! I'm 38+3 now though and not had any bleeding since then

HanMay1 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:59:40

That's reassuring! I would prefer to have it removed if it isn't likely to cause a problem for the baby as it is pretty stressful each time I bleed, plus I have been told by work if I need to have time off for it in future it may have to be taken off my maternity leave which I really don't want. I'll see what happens in a few weeks when I go in. Thanks for the info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now