Talk

Advanced search

Tens machine advice

(22 Posts)
Lozmatoz Sun 05-Nov-17 17:25:42

I’m planning on buying a tens machine on eBay. Those of you who have used one before, are there any particular brands I should look out for or avoid?

confused123456 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:37:05

I had the Elle Tens. It was brilliant. I know they don't work for everyone, but I had contractions for 4 days that I got through on my own with no pain relief. Then I had a sweep at 40+5, and I started to use my tens machine 2 hours after that.
I took it off to go to the hospital, then when I was settled in the birth centre I put it back on. I used it from about 10pm until I got in the birth pool at 3am after I'd had my waters broke. I even used it while on the birth ball. It was all I used until I got in the pool (no gas and air). I didn't even get to the highest setting as I didn't need to.
That's just my experience, I know it will be different for others.

confused123456 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:38:14

I screenshotted it from the Mothercare website which is mine came from. That's the one I used.

ElephantsandTigers Sun 05-Nov-17 17:41:17

If you want to get into water after putting on the TENS machine try and wear it for 45 minutes first as that's how long it takes for the endorphins to kick in and it will continue to have a positive effect. Make sure you know exactly where to position it on your back and that if someone else is operating the dial that they know what not to do <glares at dh>.

mummabubs Sun 05-Nov-17 17:41:21

Just make sure it's an obstetric one (not a generic one for pain). I used the Mama TENS for my birth a couple of weeks ago and found it really really helpful in the early stages (I kept it on for the entire duration of my labour and only took it off when I had to go to theatre). It's only about £60 on amazon new and it really helped me. smile

HopeAndJoy16 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:43:43

Whichever you use test it before you go into labour! I borrowed one off a friend, bought the new sticky pads and then just never got round to testing it. Come to being in early labor and could we get it to bloody work?!! blush I think it would have really helped too. I know for next time though!

I know lots of women through work who have found TENS really effective, and even if it doesn't work for you they're not that expensive to hire/buy.

HopeAndJoy16 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:44:54

I mean test it works in general, I couldn't even get it to switch on. Don't think your meant to use it properly before labour x

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sun 05-Nov-17 17:45:18

I also used Elle tens machine. Fucking loved it and got me through 99% of pain. Only had g+a less than 10 mins before birth. It was amazing.
My model had a boost mode so it was on low-mid level for hours with a big boost for contractions.

Also used in back pain since.
Good luck!

Lozmatoz Sun 05-Nov-17 17:59:18

Thanks everyone! I’ll try and hunt didn’t an Elle’s one!

mummyG2C Sun 05-Nov-17 18:01:36

I don’t know if you are set on buying one but last year when I had my daughter we actually rented one online there are a few places and like boots etc do it, you have them for about 6 weeks I think. I ordered mine to be delivered when I was 37 weeks (I had her at 40+4) then when you are done you just send an email and they arrange to have it collected. It was great as didn’t have to buy one so was a lot cheaper and then be lumbered with it especially if it didn’t work, it came with all new stickies and great instructions was really easy to use and I used it with great results during early/latent labour. Just a thought smile

Lozmatoz Sun 05-Nov-17 18:04:32

Yes, I have thought about that. I’ll look into it.

Lemonicelolly1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:08:48

Check with your midwife if they hire them op. I was going to buy one until my midwife mentioned they hire them out & it's only cost me £7 smile
It's the mama tens one I have but haven't used it yet so can't say if it's good or not but a lot of people have recommended them!

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 18:13:21

Using it at the moment 3rd day of bastard irregular contractions. I’d say a boost button is a must.

Sakura03 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:48:22

I’ve hired a mama tens from boots (39 weeks tomorrow), is it enough with the one set of sticky pads? I mean, you’ll obviously need to use the 4 together but can you take them off and reuse?

Sakura03 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:49:27

Efferlunt how exciting you’re nearly there, it it your first?

Oly5 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:50:47

I found them rubbish!

mummabubs Sun 05-Nov-17 18:55:48

@Sakura03 yes you can 😊 my midwife actively told me to practice with the TENS once I was 37 weeks + as it means your body learns to release the endorphins quicker the more you use it- that and it means you're used to it when the time comes. One set of pads lasted me several hours of practice and then all the way through my 16 hours of labour!

Efferlunt Sun 05-Nov-17 19:32:20

Doesn’t feel v close at the moment :-( contractions are on and off.

thingymaboob Sun 05-Nov-17 20:47:55

Are they safe in pregnancy? I've never heard of it before. Excuse my ignorance but would love some advice on it as I'm willing to try anything!

NC1990 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:35:33

I've rented the Mama TENS from Boots also, have only tried it out briefly (due in 12 days!) but it seems to get good reviews.

Sakura03 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:22:50

Oh so I should probably have a go practicing - thank you @mummabubs

DeadDoorpost Mon 06-Nov-17 00:23:29

@thingymaboob yes they're safe. My midwife highly recommended I get one to use but down to personal preference I'd rather not. I don't Do well with being zapped regardless of whether itll make me feel better. Ive got bad memories of using one and my sister having the dial... never going to forgive her for that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now