Talk

Advanced search

Glucose tolerance test

(34 Posts)
bluechameleon Fri 03-Nov-17 20:21:11

I've been booked in for a GTT next week due to a previous large baby. The midwife told me it is pretty horrible and I should book the whole day off work, which I have done. How soon afterwards am I likely to feel OK to drive? Should I get DH to take time off work to drive me/provide general support?

ViserionTheDragon Fri 03-Nov-17 20:28:35

Definitely get DH to drive you and support you while you're there. You won't be in a position to drive afterwards.

IggyAce Fri 03-Nov-17 20:30:55

I drove myself to and from the appointment, I just made sure I had something to eat before I left.
Take a book or paperwork with you because it's pretty boring waiting.

Oysterbabe Fri 03-Nov-17 20:38:21

Eh? It's absolutely fine. What's supposedly the issue? You might feel a bit hungry? I walked to work after and just carried on as normal.

Tiredstressed Fri 03-Nov-17 20:39:00

I was fine - I drove home afterwards.

Tiredmum100 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:41:37

I had a GTT whilst pregnant with my second as he was due to be (and was) big. I drove myself to the hospital , had a blood test, had the drink they give you, waited a few hours reading my kindle, had another blood test and went home. No big deal at all?

buttwingsham Fri 03-Nov-17 20:42:26

What? I'm confused.
I've had a few but no probs a bit boring and I was hungry but I've always gone on my own and drove myself home later.
Fast in the morning. Blood taken then drink a sweet drink wait a few hours and have another blood test.
Is that the test you mean?

GlitterRollerSkate Fri 03-Nov-17 20:42:55

I was fine to drive home. I just made sure I took something to eat after. You go in have a blood test. Drink some rank glucose drink then wait around for an hour or two can't remember then have another blood test. It's boring waiting around but that's the worse bit! Take a book or something.

Watto1 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:44:13

It's fine confused. You have a blood test (a few mls, not pints or anything!), drink a sugary drinks, wait about for two hours and have another blood test. I drove myself there and back with no problems.

AccrualIntentions Fri 03-Nov-17 20:45:30

I was completely fine after mine. I happened to be on leave anyway, but took myself there and home straight afterwards on the train. It's mostly just really boring being stuck in the hospital waiting room for 2 hours!

chinalass Fri 03-Nov-17 20:47:17

What? I had 1 with my first. Not with second as I had insulin in my first it was assumed I had it in my second - but not sure I did - my sugars were always fine.

Anyway you fast go and have a sugary drink. Have your bloods done after waiting a bit - grab a paper/take something to read.

I drove myself there and back. No biggie. On the grand scale of having a baby it’s a minor!

PatMustardsBigTool Fri 03-Nov-17 20:47:28

Absolutely echo what everyone else has said - it's completely fine. Quite boring, though, so take something to keep you occupied. Remember ear phones if you want to watch something on your phone/tablet.

Linzerelli13 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:51:51

I drove to the hospital, had my blood test and disgusting sugary drink, drove back home. Watched tv for an hour or so, drove back and had my blood test. Made sure I took a sandwich with me so i could eat it when the appointment was finished and then went straight to work. Felt fine. Just hungry!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 03-Nov-17 20:58:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThursdayLastWeek Fri 03-Nov-17 21:01:07

I was lucky because I got to do my waiting at home. I did feel a bit weak, but only because I just really love eating and I was pregnant!
Absolutely able to drive myself the 4 journeys though.

If youve booked the day off take it and have a lovely big meal when it's done smile

Vinorosso74 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:04:34

I was fine too. Wandered into the imaging waiting area and wrote my Xmas cards whist admiring the view across London. Drink doesn't taste very nice but apart from that it was ok.

KimchiLaLa Fri 03-Nov-17 21:14:31

? I had one of these and it was fine, and I hate blood tests.

The only real issue was the wait.

TakeMe2Insanity Fri 03-Nov-17 21:19:54

Does anyone know what they give you to drink. I heard from one person it is traditional barley lucazade but have coeliac disease so need to know if I need an alternative.

FruitBadger Fri 03-Nov-17 21:22:08

I had one test last pregnancy and two this time round, drove myself to work afterwards, via Maccie D's for breakfast and did a full days work. It's a normal blood test, you just feel hungry. No idea why the MW told you to book the whole day off confused

haveagobletofblood Fri 03-Nov-17 21:31:24

Definitely get DH to drive you and support you while you're there. You won't be in a position to drive afterwards.

^^what?! hmm really? Support for drinking a sugar drink and sitting for an hour and having blood drawn? I worry about how anyone who can't cope with that will deal with childbirth confused

MammyHester9116 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:34:03

Everyone reacts differently.
I drove myself and planned to got home for lunch before heading back to work (teacher). On the way home (driving) it became clear I wasn’t going to make it into work. I was very sick and tired once I got home. I slept the whole afternoon. It didn’t go down well with work having to find cover for my class with an hour or sos notice! shockthe midwife thought I was mad going to do an afternoon teaching and said I would be lucky not to faint in front on them.
They also struggled to get the blood so it wasn’t pleasant. Another few minutes and I would have had to go back and do it all again.
I have one next week for number 2 and I have booked the whole day off for it this time to be on the safe side.
Don’t be sick after the drink and take something to do. I took my cross stitch (which still isn’t finished 2 years later!)

MaryShelley1818 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:44:03

I've genuinely never heard anything so bizarre, no idea why anyone would need support, unable to drive or go to work unless there are genuine other medical issues. They took 7 attempts to get my bloods and a surgeon eventually got it out of my wrists. Felt a bit sick so ate a muffin from the hospital shop on the way to the car. Sorted!

SkafaceClaw Fri 03-Nov-17 21:44:56

Had mine Today - all fine.

Ate the sarnie that my dp made me after with a twix and was teaching rowdy teens an hour later.

It wasn’t bad at all - had nicer drinks but had some water after and it was fine.

Hope all goes well.

EarlGreyT Fri 03-Nov-17 21:47:05

TakeMe2Insanity it’s no longer lucozade as the manufacturer has reduced the sugar content in lucozade. They sometimes use something called rapilose, but I imagine this is dependent on the hospital.

CountessOfStrathearn Fri 03-Nov-17 21:49:10

How odd! I've had 5 GTTs and drinking down the Lucozade-like stuff on an empty stomach when you are still throwing up is a bit rough, but then it is fine after a proper snack (like a sandwich) at the end. I've always driven myself and taken some books and knitting to keep myself busy. I can't imagine why you'd need the whole day off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: