Talk

Advanced search

Help...constipation

(32 Posts)
seizethecuttlefish Fri 03-Nov-17 18:59:57

I’m 12.5 weeks pregnant. It’s not been an easy pregnancy so far. I’m on meds for sickness and one of the side effects is constipation. Dr prescribed lactulose but not sure it is doing much. Hit me with your best constipation remedies. I’m desperate. I drink loads of water, all it’s doing is making me pee constantly.

DeadDoorpost Fri 03-Nov-17 19:21:08

I have lactulose but doesn't seem to do much. Root beer worked for me but no idea why. Just a really odd thing. I've given up and just gone when it's ready to come out. But then I'm at the end of the pregnancy so...

Hannabee123 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:41:52

Keep up with the water... orange juice, fruit, prunes

Basically eat anything that will be hydrating and upset your stomach. If I need to poop i'l get on the orange juice and fruit, loads of water and usually that gets things moving. If it doesn't clear soon call a doctor and see what you can do / take to help

Hannabee123 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:42:30

Having a long walk with all of that washing around in the stomach will help abit more too 💥

BexleyRae Fri 03-Nov-17 19:43:06

Dried apricots worked for me

Winenight Fri 03-Nov-17 19:56:10

You have my sympathies! Constipation is awful.

I've been taking 2 x 10 ml doses of Lactulose in the morning and evening as recommended by my midwife. I did find that at the start it was slow to get things moving so I upped the dose and then went too far the other way!

I drank plenty of water and found that a walk after taking it and drinking water helped to get things moving along. I've also been eating prunes and having some prune juice.

If I eat a big meal then that tends to get things moving too.

Sparky888 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:01:11

Psyllium husks / tablets usually from the healthfood shop.

olicat Fri 03-Nov-17 20:11:27

KIWIS - you won't be disappointed!

Sel81 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:46:51

Second the kiwis! Really helped me at about 12 weeks grin

CallMeDollFace Fri 03-Nov-17 20:49:04

Are you taking a pregnancy multivitamin with iron that you could cut out? Might help.

pickleface Fri 03-Nov-17 20:51:19

Prune juice saved my arse for sure.

AnneOfCleavage Fri 03-Nov-17 20:56:33

I second pickle with prune juice. I drink a glass every morning.

pregz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:05:33

So much sympathy , it really is awful! I had a really embarrassing thread on here not too long ago literally ended up in hospital over it!

PLEASE stick to the lactulose I promise this does help I stupidly stopped taking it thinking it wasn’t , 15 ml twice a day religiously at least! Also ask for some senna , that definitely gets things moving , and as someone who hates exercise I can’t tell you how much walking helps eventually!

Once I got things moving I did notice such a difference when I changed my diet even though I did always sort of eye roll when people were shouting about prunes and fruit juice. But fruit and orange juice and weetabix every morning helped me a lot.

This all combined definitely got things under control and manageable for me, hope you find some relief soon x

TakeMe2Insanity Fri 03-Nov-17 21:12:38

Prunes.

Prunes in a smoothie if you cant stand the taste.

Misstomrs Fri 03-Nov-17 21:16:28

Depending on the anti sickness tablets you’re on you may need something stronger. If it’s ondansetron then ask your GP for an accompanying movicol prescription. I don’t know if you can buy it over the counter but it’s the only thing I found that worked.
If not, orange juice, water, lactulose and suppositories.
Good luck

GMtoBe Fri 03-Nov-17 21:20:03

I also agree with prune juice! Works every time.

georgiaokeeffe Fri 03-Nov-17 21:29:20

Psyllium husk flakes taken with a big glass of water before bed. Tastes bad and might take a couple of days but it’s worked for me when nothing else has.

Robots1Humans0 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:59

Two bowls of fruit and fibre a day! grin

jellycrumble Sun 05-Nov-17 13:49:35

Place marking for ideas as I have horrendous constipation sad (7+2)

KellyMarieTunstall2 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:50:01

Movicol. And glycerine suppositories. Nothing I ate or drank made any difference. 37 weeks and my bowel is knackered!

lilliannrose Sun 05-Nov-17 16:48:16

I am still in my first trimester and prunes are definitely helping me.

HaHaHmm Sun 05-Nov-17 17:08:05

An espresso! There’s about 80mg of caffeine in one so you can happily stay under the 200mg guideline.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:19:00

Fresh orange

MaverickSnoopy Sun 05-Nov-17 19:20:35

I heard that the pregnacare can cause horrendous sickness and sometimes constipation in some women. Could this be the case for you?

pickledsausage Sun 05-Nov-17 20:41:32

Fybogel 👍🏻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now