Talk

Advanced search

Which food should I avoid??

(13 Posts)
BabyKangaroo90 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:50:51

Hiya,

Found out I am pregnant a couple of days ago! Very exciting but my first so I am very worried and want to do everything I can right!

I will be going to the doctors next week to arrange midwife appointment etc (I'm assuming that's what I should do?)

But I'm currently looking for a list of foods I should avoid but there are many conflicting lists! Can anyone direct me to one?

I currently have a ham sandwich by my side which I'm not sure I should eat now???

Thanks!

LapinR0se Fri 03-Nov-17 14:51:44

Congratulations! Just go by the NHS list (if you’re in the UK)

bengalcat Fri 03-Nov-17 14:53:37

What you can eat and not eat varies according to which country you're in - I just ate what I wanted but then I like to live 'dangerously ' - seriously though just go by NHS website list

GBBOaddict Fri 03-Nov-17 14:54:15

Most midwife services are self referral now. You can google your local midwife services or content your GP receptionist for the number.

As a PP said, the NHS list is what you go off.

A ham sandwich is totally fine.

dementedpixie Fri 03-Nov-17 14:54:20

Ham sandwich is fine! Use nhs info

GBBOaddict Fri 03-Nov-17 14:54:44

Contact!

Bloody content. 🙄

BabyKangaroo90 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:54:57

There seems to be two though? A friend of mine who also became pregnant recently was told no ham but on NHS it says it's okay? I'm so confused! Haha and thank you x

dementedpixie Fri 03-Nov-17 14:55:32

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

dementedpixie Fri 03-Nov-17 14:56:59

If you were really cautious then avoid meats from the deli counter but pre-packed stuff is ok

AccrualIntentions Fri 03-Nov-17 14:58:39

NHS website. Eat the ham. A lot of the stuff online about cooked meats is aimed at the US market where they have different food regulations.

BabyKangaroo90 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:39:46

Thanks everyone! Are there any books you'd recommend for a first time mummy? X

BlackCoconut Fri 03-Nov-17 16:57:27

Just download the free apps and sign up to various websites.

I found Bounty, Baby Centre & Ovia particularly helpful.
Daily updates, average size of baby that week etc.

GrapesAreMyJam Fri 03-Nov-17 17:19:54

My midwife said to be cautious with soft cheese and cured meats. But every country has different guidelines, and that what is advised against eating here, is recommended to eat somewhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now