Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Down syndrome tests

(11 Posts)
HattieMadden Fri 03-Nov-17 12:50:08

Hi.
I recently had my 12 week scan and sent off a blood test for the Down syndrome testing.
My results have come back and Im in 1 of 55 that baby could have Down syndrome but my percentage is 98.1% that it won’t.

The hospital has given me 3 options; wait till my 20 week scan to see if there are any abnormalities that show up resulting to Down syndrome,
The Amniocentesis test with the slight chance of miscarriage,
Or
Go privately for a blood test which will cost me £350-£500 which is out of my price at the moment.

Me and my OH have talked and feel like I should wait till my 20 week scan but I’m just wanting opinions from others judging by the result and percentage i hot given.

Kellaree18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:13

Would having a definitive answer make any difference to you? I only ask because if the result was positive for DS and you'd want a termination, the procedure differs depending on far along you are.

An awful thought I know, but something you should consider if that was a possibility for you.

HattieMadden Fri 03-Nov-17 14:00:23

Even if they outcome would be the baby did have Down syndrome I would keep it no matter what and would be loved no less x

bettydraper31 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:02:00

I would wait until your 20 week scan then OP. You sound like an amazing mummy already. Good luck x

Ttbb Fri 03-Nov-17 14:02:22

If you wouldn't terminate the pregnancy then you should just wait.

Starwhisperer Fri 03-Nov-17 14:03:29

Hattie I would wait then, you don't want any procedure that would put your precious baby at risk flowers

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:06:22

If you wouldn’t want to terminate the pregnancy anyway, then don’t give yourself the risk of miscarriage with amino. Whatever will be, will be.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 03-Nov-17 14:06:52

The amnio risk of miscarriage is higher than your risk of DS, OP.

As you would have the baby either way, I would wait for the scan. imagine you had a sack with 54 white balls in it and 1 black ball. Now close your eyes and draw out a ball - see, there's far more chance that everything's fine. Lots of luck!

sparechange Fri 03-Nov-17 14:17:50

The amnio risk they give is hopelessly out of date.

The consultant who did mine said she had been doing several a week for over 20 years and never had a miscarriage as a result of it.
So as long as you get someone experienced doing it, the risk is tiny-to-nonexistent

If it will set your mind at ease, have it.
If you think you'll be able to put it to the back of your mind until the 20 week scan, wait.
You are the best judge of how well you'll cope/sleep between now and then...

user1499695825 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:57:53

Hi, just to say I'm mum to Tom who is 13 and has Down syndrome. I was terrified of having a baby with DS as everyone talks about risk, screening out etc but I can honestly say that there's nothing wrong with him at all, more society's attitude! Had I discovered Tom had DS antenatally I may well have terminated - I've now realised out of complete fear and ignorance. Do please have a read of our story along with lots of other parents.
www.positiveaboutdownsyndrome.co.uk

Happyflower74 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:23:13

Congratulations!! Sorry that you’re having this extra worry. I had a 1 in 2 chance of having a baby with DS. We declined an amino and opted for a couple of extra scans - none of which showed any markers for DS. We considered the NIPT but it is not diagnostic so wouldn’t have offered anything more. Our daughter was born with DS and has bought everything into our life that you hope a child will (and loads more than we could have expected!) I’m so happy to hear you will continue your pregnancy if baby does have DS - there is a lot of support and some wonderful resources. Have a look at www.positiveaboutdownsyndrome.co.uk for information about what it is like to love a child with DS. We saved our money from the NIPT and bought some stuff for baby - much more fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now