Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nausea - which protein?

(10 Posts)
NotBurpeesAgain Fri 03-Nov-17 12:06:14

Hello. I am in my 9th week and I am feeling horrible. I have already lost 10lb.
Before getting pregnant I was low-carbing but at the moment there are very few protein sources I can stomach. Any hot meat is out of question (I cannot cook it without throwing up), I had to throw the ham away because the smell made me sick when I opened the fridge. I do not eat fish, pulses make me sick ATM.
The two things I manage to keep down at the moment are eggs and tasteless, "plastic" cheese, but they have as much fat as protein.

Are there any leaner protein sources I have not though about? Or do I need to forget about the low-carbing thing and live on green apples and boiled potatoes for a few more weeks?

DeadDoorpost Fri 03-Nov-17 14:11:43

I lost a lot more than you due to Hyperemesis (ridiculous amount) and part of the problem was that I also couldn't stand the smells in the kitchen for several weeks without throwing up. Until I felt better I honestly didn't bother trying to eat anything that would set it off. So I had a very bland diet of I've lollies and the occasional bit of mango until about week 16 when I could stomach more things. Tuna took a while, chicken took even longer, buy mince was ok up until maybe 4 weeks ago. I'm 37 weeks atm.
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about diet as long as you're able to eat something you're all good. The baby won't suffer as they'll take what it needs from you first.

InThisTogether Fri 03-Nov-17 14:15:30

Soya/ tofu/ quorn are all high protein and low fat (although maube unappealing?)
Just eat anything you can keep down OP, you won't feel this nauseuos for long and then you can go back to your low carbing...

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:17:12

Don’t know how low-carb your low-carb diet is, but carb sources can also be excellent sources of nutrition (eg fruit, potatoes, wheat). Things like bread or porridge actually have a decent amount of protein. So if you’re able to stomach things like a porridge made with milk and some berries, you’ll actually get a good amount of protein and nutrients.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 03-Nov-17 14:21:02

It's awful isn't it OP? flowers I couldn't cook anything for my entire pregnancy, DP often made me several meals per evening as I would keep vomiting. I had HG for the full forty weeks, I survived mostly on a diet of cocktail sausages, plain pressured chicken breast (but hold your nose when opening the packet) babybels and crisps (didn't even like crisps before I was pregnant but I had very low blood pressure so crisps were fulfilling a need for salt?) I could stomach a bit of fruit at the end. Eat tiny things one at a time very very slowly. There is no point whatsoever in restricting your diet further by low carb-ing or whatever when you feel so ill and are pregnant, don't torture yourself. Whatever you can stomach, eat. Even if it isn't all virtuous and healthy and what you thought you'd be eating while pregnant. Don't beat yourself up about it, I did and it achieved nothing but making me feel worse than I already did. You will feel more nauseous if you don't eat, so just try and have something to nibble to hand at all times, lots of people have plain crackers for this. Keep hydrated too, but again little sips, don't drink a lot in one go as you will feel sick quickly.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 03-Nov-17 14:21:31

*pre-cooked not pressured

NotBurpeesAgain Fri 03-Nov-17 15:22:42

Thank you for your answers. I am going to try to stop worrying about my carb intake.
I had spent the last 2 years keeping my weight under control after a 20-year battle and I do not want this pregnancy to be an excuse to fall back into carb addiction.

AnnabelFan Fri 03-Nov-17 15:28:20

When I suffered with it the only thing that helped were Carby things...toast, sandwiches, potatoes and baked beans for some reason.
The feeling went by second trimester so you may find you can go back to protein foods ok then.

PurplePillowCase Fri 03-Nov-17 15:31:49

bread contains a fair amounf of protein.

MaverickSnoopy Fri 03-Nov-17 17:32:28

Honestly. If you're struggling like this you should just eat what you can face. I wasn't sick but extremely nauseous all of the time. I lived on Orange quash and crackers for about 3 weeks. Crackers and cereal bars. It's all I could face! I lost about 9 lbs and then suddenly everything went back to normal. I didn't diet like I normally would buy it ate sensible portions and thought about what u was eating. After I gave birth I was half a stone less than when I fell pregnant. If you eat sensibly and perhaps low carb when you feel better then I'm sure you will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now