Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Facebook

(58 Posts)
MarmiteandToast Fri 03-Nov-17 09:38:54

If you are on Facebook, have you done any sort of pregnancy announcement? Most of my friends have but I'd not really thought of it. We've kept it a secret due to a real scare at twelve week scan but touch wood all is looking good now and doctors have said to now try to relax and enjoy rest of pregnancy.

DH suggested I put something on Facebook now that work know, so that everyone else knows and it doesn't feel so secret, as I'm still not used to talking about it!

Has anyone else?

maplebaby Fri 03-Nov-17 09:49:00

Hi OP, I’m on FB but not put an announcement. I had bleeds at 6, 13 and 14 weeks and currently 26 weeks now. For me the reasons were that the people I really wanted to know were told face to face anyway and also we had to have IVF... we found Facebook announcements hard to deal with and I felt like I didn’t want to do one in case someone was also suffering and the thought of making even one person upset put me off.

However, I’m not a massive poster anyway so that may also have something to do with it. Do what is right for you / you feel happy with and congratulations!

Foggymist Fri 03-Nov-17 09:52:15

38 weeks with #2, never put up anything re pregnancy last time or this time. I figure if there's people that really need to know we speak to them often, most others are more distant friends/acquaintances who it doesn't really matter to. I only have 100 friends on fb as I like to make sure it is only people I genuinely want seeing my life, but still I'd say maybe about half of them know. Last time we posted a few days after ds was born and will probably do similar this time, just an up close bit of some part of cute baby smile

ArkadyRose Fri 03-Nov-17 09:55:20

I created a custom list that contains only the people I'd feel comfortable with knowing if I miscarry and posted to that. They all know about my past history of miscarriage - and in fact a few of them have a similar history, so basically they're my support if this one doesn't stick. We're not going to say anything more public about it until I'm safely past the 12-week scan though, which is what my sister's just done - she had her scan on Wednesday and then posted the scan picture, but she'd let a few of us know soon after she got her BFP.

AccrualIntentions Fri 03-Nov-17 09:57:15

I haven't. People I care enough about have found out from me in real life. The rest will find out when the baby arrives safely.

DeadDoorpost Fri 03-Nov-17 09:57:19

I did just so that i didnt kee getting asked about whether i was or not. I suffered from Hyperemesis so i cojldnt really hide the constant vomiting especially as I finished uni during the worst of it. Luckily I also had a major cold at the time so I could blame some of it on that.
It also let me moan to someone other than my DH about how awful the whole thing was for me. I think he was grateful for that. But we did wait til 12 weeks to announce.
And my parents and siblings had been sworn to secrecy so it was good for them to get it off their chest as well.

What I did is just put the scan picture up with a really simple 'welcome to the family' sort of message and then slept the rest of the day before seeing the response. I was both exhausted and didn't want to deal with a load of questions as I had been so tremendously ill the day of the scan and announcing that I needed the break.

AccrualIntentions Fri 03-Nov-17 09:59:52

we found Facebook announcements hard to deal with and I felt like I didn’t want to do one in case someone was also suffering and the thought of making even one person upset put me off.

This too. People certainly shouldn't feel guilty or uncomfortable doing an announcement if they want, but I came off all social media for a couple of years while TTC because I found seeing the pregnancy announcements (and there were bloody loads) too difficult.

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:02:04

I’m not planning to make an announcement. We will tell family and friends in due course in real life. Making an announcement for people I worked with 10 years ago or met whilst on holiday etc, doesn’t seem particularly important.

cherryontopp Fri 03-Nov-17 10:03:12

I gave it til 20 weeks, after my scan.

I was very anxious about telling people. I had IVF and thought I might jinx myself and something bad to happen. But hey go everything's looking okay so far.
I personally wouldn't announce a pregnancy on Facebook before the analogy scan.

ZepellinBend Fri 03-Nov-17 10:04:48

I didn't but someone else did on fb. Tagged me in a jokey thing that made it bloody obvious. Cue lots of ??? underneath.

Lozmatoz Fri 03-Nov-17 10:06:31

35 weeks, no announcement on Facebook.

Orangebird69 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:07:33

I didn't put anything on fb about my pregnancy until 3 days after ds was born... I find the announcements/scan and bump pics a bit cringey tbh. We told our parents when we found out, then the rest of immediate famity after 15 weeks, then didn't hide it from anyone after the 20 week scan. My dsis was bloody desperate to post it on Facebook though 🙄

BrioAmio Fri 03-Nov-17 10:08:04

Nope. No announcement as I couldn’t face unannouncing it if something happened.

I will do an announcement when baby arrives and is safely ‘on the ground’ my personal reasoning is that I would feel personally responsible if something happened in pregnancy as it’s MY body that is meant to be keeping the baby healthy. I find pregnancy really stressful as a result!

TonicAndTonic Fri 03-Nov-17 10:14:10

Nothing at all - from my FB profile you'd have no idea I'm 29 weeks pg. But DP and I both have reasons why we're probably not going to be sharing any baby/child pics or putting our kids' names etc on social media, so seems pointless making a pregnancy announcement!

GreenGoblin0 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:14:30

both times (I think both after the 20 week mark) I put up a profile picture showing an obvious bump. didn't make a formal announcement.

mindutopia Fri 03-Nov-17 10:19:03

Yes, we did. We don't live near most of our friends and family, so we don't see them in person much or ever really. We're talking like different countries. So Facebook was a great way to spread the news and not have to call 10,000 people individually. We told really close friends and family individually, but everyone else, that was the easiest way to let them know. I have mc before this baby, and it was hard for me to get my head around being pregnant again and actually having a baby this time. So doing an announcement was really cathartic for me and part of the steps to accepting that everything was really okay. It was nothing elaborate though, just like "DD is so excited she's going to be a big sister!" Depends though on how you use Facebook and who your friends are on there (if they are actually friends, not like randoms).

WineAndTiramisu Fri 03-Nov-17 10:35:11

I've not put anything on there yet (16 weeks), but probably will after the 20 week scan, most people I see regularly know now, but more for people I rarely see

TheCatsMother99 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:41:18

I haven't put anything up and I won't either. I doubt very much I will do a birth announcement on there either.

I just find people overshare on social media and half the people on there are only 'friends' out of nosiness. As much as Bob from secondary school is a nice chap I'm sure he doesn't actually care I'm having a baby. I'd much rather tell the people who I'm actually proper friends with, not just Facebook friends, myself.

But... each to their own so go for it if it works for you.

reetgood Fri 03-Nov-17 10:44:40

No announcement, now 31 weeks. Boyfriend in particular is anti any baby announcements. I have put a fairly indicative pic up as my profile pic but some have gathered and some haven’t. I think I’ve gone too far now to make any announcements, there will prob be someone I’ve forgot to tell but oh well, they’ll find out soon enough.

ClaireBear1986 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:47:15

I want to put something on but not until after the 20 week scan.

I will probably have my hand forced a little though, as I think my MIL will put something up herself as soon as we tell her the news.
I do want it to come from us, so will probably have to do something the same day we tell her so we can get in there first. Ha.

Which is a bit frustrating, but oh well.

Foggymist Fri 03-Nov-17 10:48:51

Oh a good tip for those who might force your hand by tagging you etc, remove the ability to tag you without approval and set your wall posts to viewed by "Only Me", that way you can intercept any unwanted tags/posts.

Alexkate2468 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:49:08

I did. I couldn't wait and posted As soon as I had the pictures. I was so happy I wanted to tell the world.
A lot of people seem to feel they need to justify why they made their announcements or share news on social media as if people who share on social media are beneath those who don't.

GrapesAreMyJam Fri 03-Nov-17 10:53:12

I didn’t. I sent out messages to friends and family that live a fair distance away. Others we told in person or on the phone.

I’m not particularly one for sharing things on Facebook. The people we wanted to know first hand knew and they’re free to talk about it if they wanted to.

We probably won’t do a birth announcement either.

MaroonPencil Fri 03-Nov-17 10:59:57

I didn't put an announcement up. Both times I just naturally at some point mentioned it in a status update - first time I think I was moaning about maternity trousers, second time I said something about the baby kicking after I had had a gingerbread latte. Both times were quite late on, most of my friends already knew and those that didn't just commented along the lines of "wow didn't know you were pregnant" stuff.

That only really works if you use FB quite a lot for casual stuff about your day to day life though, otherwise it looks a bit weird and pointed!

bettydraper31 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:50:28

We didn't do any Facebook announcement last time and we haven't this time (15 weeks). We put a post up when DD was born to thank everyone for their cards and gifts.
I've told all our friends and family face to face/phone. I don't have many friends on Facebook as like a PP said, they're only people I actually like, not just randomers who I once met on holiday 6 years ago and haven't spoken to since (just my personal preference).
I find scan pictures on Facebook a little cringy, is nothing sacred anymore?
Do what feels best to you OP x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: