Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Seeing the midwife

(16 Posts)
lilliannrose Fri 03-Nov-17 07:47:17

Hi there, I have had my letter through for my 12 weeks scan in December but it doesn’t say anything about me seeing the midwife also. Does that usually happen at the same time? A little confused. Anyone been through this?

Melbimp Fri 03-Nov-17 07:49:30

You would usually have a booking in appointment with your midwife before your first scan. I would contact the hospital or GP to arrange this. They usually set up your scan then.

Sharpstagram Fri 03-Nov-17 07:50:16

Hi! I’m guessing if you’ve had that letter you’ve seen the midwife for your booking appointment around 8 weeks? If so then you won’t need to see her again until 16 weeks smile

Expectingbsbunumber2 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:05:42

You should have seen your midwife for a booking appointment before 12 weeks.

JassyRadlett Fri 03-Nov-17 09:11:21

Where I am, the scan appointment letter came separately from the booking in appointment letter - it’s worth chasing up.

Did your GP refer you, or did you self refer?

Expectingbsbunumber2 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:24:12

You don't see the midwife for a scan, you will see her a few weeks after it.

TonicAndTonic Fri 03-Nov-17 09:27:49

Agree with pp, I saw the midwife at 8 weeks (arranged through gp surgery) scan at hospital at 12 weeks, (letter in the post) then midwife again at 16 weeks, which I had to ring the surgery to arrange myself.

mindutopia Fri 03-Nov-17 10:25:01

No, you don't see the midwife at the scan. It's just in and out with the sonographer, but you probably should have made your 16 week appt after your booking or at least soon. I would call whatever number they told you to call for non-urgent matters or your GP surgery if you see them at the surgery. This time I book directly with the midwife (so either she books me in before she leaves after the previous appt or I call the non-urgent no. at the hospital), but with my first, I booked through the receptionist at the surgery where I saw her. I would do it soon as sometimes they only have one or two days a week when they do antenatal appts in a particular area.

Spam88 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:09:37

Where I am you see the midwife after your scan as that’s when they do the bloods. No separate appointment cake through though, I was just told to go over after my scan.

Ceebs85 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:13:45

Where i am we had a midwife come to us after to explain the results and talk through screening bloods. But obviously not your community midwife x

ijustwannadance Fri 03-Nov-17 11:19:07

I had booking in and scan on same day, one after the other, but our hostital has a big maternity unit.

I then made my own 16 week app for midwife at my doctors. She's only there once a week though for a few hours.

Eryri1981 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:53:38

Where I am, I had booking in appointment with Community Midwife at 6 weeks in my own home. After that all other appointments with her have been at GP surgery as I have transport and it is easier for her to see those who can get there at the surgery (Rural Area).

Had Second midwife appointment at 9 weeks, then scan at 12 weeks + bloods taken at hospital phlebotomy department. Then 13, 17, 23 and got a 28 week appointment booked.

Can't fault the community midwifery service round here so far (she is lovely as well).

lilliannrose Sat 04-Nov-17 05:56:42

Thanks for feedback guys. It was a self referral I did.

PrincessaCarrisi Sat 04-Nov-17 06:18:58

Definitely chase it!

I had the exact same thing happen to me, a letter to the 12 week scan so I assumed I would also have the booking in appointment at the same time - but no, they were a bit perplexed that I didn't already have my green notes for them to fill in. It wasn't a massive problem, somehow the referral had gone through for the scan but not to the community midwife. She just came to my house a couple of days later.

Each area has a slightly different way of organising maternity care, you may well have both appointments at once, but there is no harm in making a phone call to check.

I am finding it's best to research what should be happening - and not being afraid to ask plenty of questions. There have been a couple of times where things have been missed or forgotten (most recently having my 28 week bloods booked for 39 weeks because they 'forgot' to take them hmm) which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence!

lilliannrose Sat 04-Nov-17 10:49:54

@PrincessaCarrisi thanks. I think I will. I live in Hastings and the maternity unit is at conquest hospital and they have the worst reputation going. The place was actually in special measures a little while back so I am not too happy about having to go there. My friend who had her baby there had a terrible experience at their hands during the pregnancy.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 04-Nov-17 11:37:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: