Talk

Advanced search

Panicking - Brown Discharge

(11 Posts)
PineapplePrincess Thu 02-Nov-17 19:44:22

Sorry, I need reassurance. Just managed to get past the point of checking toilet paper every time I wipe, and tonight I have light brown discharge.

I know that this can be normal. Brown blood is old blood right? Not to worry unless it increase and/or changes colour?

Had a miscarraige in February. That started pink, now brown.

But, oh god, can’t stop worrying.

Worldsworstcook Thu 02-Nov-17 19:55:39

You need to phone and ask for advice. Phone your local maternity unit now because they would know for certain if it's normal or not. It's hopefully nothing but you are better being safe than sorry. Do you have an out of hours gp service you can visit.

It's easy for me to say stay calm but try to anyway. Fingers crossed it's nothing because you can still have discharged/bleeds while pregnant anyway

OuchLegoHurts Thu 02-Nov-17 19:57:47

I'm term weeks now but I had this, plus cramping, at 8 weeks and everything seems fine now. It happened twice and lasted an hour or two both times, but it was only light. I'm booked in for an early scan because of it but haven't had it yet. Feel fine again now so I'm not worried. Almost everything I was seeing about it online said it's normal and my GP wasn't too concerned.

OuchLegoHurts Thu 02-Nov-17 19:58:01

Ten weeks, not term!

luckkkkkky7 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:59:22

How far are you ?

AnUtterIdiot Thu 02-Nov-17 20:19:28

Wait and see. It's really not uncommon to have brown or red discharge during early pregnancy. Sometimes it's an MC and sometimes it's not - for lots of women it isn't and I think the statistics are problematic because I suspect a lot of women don't go and get it checked out and are fine at their next scan.

If it helps, I had an MMC last year and it started with brown discharge at around 10 weeks. Scan at 11-12 weeks revealed MC had happened around 8 weeks. This time round, I had brown discharge again at 10 weeks. Was so convinced that I was having another miscarriage that I went to the EPU (purely to confirm miscarriage so that I could work out what I wanted to do in terms of let it happen at home or go for surgery), only to be told that everything was fine and also that I was having twins grin. My point is that the fact that your MC started with brown discharge really does not mean that you're having a MC again now. This pregnancy is not that pregnancy.

I don't know how far along you are but if you're past 6 weeks I would speak to the EPU and see if you can get in for a scan - mine was very sympathetic because they knew I'd miscarried before and was anxious.

PineapplePrincess Thu 02-Nov-17 20:36:32

Thanks guys.

I’m only 5.5 weeks, so still really early on. No point really in going to EPU as there’ll be nothing that they can do. Have an early scan scheduled for a week on Wednesday. Was keen not to scan too early, but may be tempted to pull it forward to next week.

Discharge seems to have stopped and it was light. But I’m going to the toilet constantly to check and wiping to the point it’s beginning to get sore.

We have been trying to conceive constantly since our last miscarraige, I really want this one to work. Not sure we would be able to recover and try again if this was to fall through.

Was just beginning to settle my nerves and now they feel shot to pieces!?!

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 02-Nov-17 20:47:18

I know it's impossible OP but try not to worry! I've had 2 babies and had spotting in both pregnancies (plus a massive bleed with DC2) and all fine both times. Am 15w with baby #3 and had brown spotting every so often through first tri - 4,8 and 12 weeks. Apparently v common around when your period would be due. I've also had spotting that turned out to be a mmc, and another mmc with no spotting at all (and my strongest symptoms out of all my 6 pregnancies). It honestly means nothing, but I know how impossible it is not to worry. It might be a good plan to move your scan earlier if you feel it would put your mind at rest. The waiting to know is the worst bit, and so much harder when you've had a mc before. But your chances of everything being fine are so, so high. The vast majority of pregnancies result in a happy, healthy baby. flowers for you

PineapplePrincess Fri 03-Nov-17 16:36:10

!!! TRIGGER - PICTURE !!!

Bleeding seemed to stop overnight, but has started again today. Turned red, then back to brown.

Called EPU who can’t see me as it’s too early to scan. They have advised to wait and see if the bleeding increases.

Still just when wiping. I’ve attached a picture - warning in advance!

I’m so frightened that I’m miscarrying again.

MaryShelley1818 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:15:50

That to me looks like a lot of blood unfortunately - now that's not to say you still won't have a good outcome but I'd go and get seen tbh if you can. I went to A&E when I was bleeding and got seen that way, sadly it was an early miscarriage but I'm now 34wks pg (had brown bleeding in this pg) so it can work out - thinking of you xx

Brenna24 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:21:12

I am sorry you are going through this. Sadly only time will tell. I have had this much blood and everything be ok and this much blood and it not be ok. I hope the EPU will see you to do bloods on monday. At 5.5 weeks not much would show up on a scan and bloods would be better and you would need to see the EPU for this. I hope all is well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now