Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Worried about travelling to a wedding

(19 Posts)
NW10teacher Thu 02-Nov-17 13:11:29

I'm 32 weeks preg with twins and I'm supposed to be going to a wedding of a very close friend of DH at the weekend and I was feeling fine about the travelling till today. This morning I kept getting crampy pains at the bottom of my bump and I had a total panic. They have subsided a little bit now, but they're still coming back now and then. Managed to speak to my MW who said if it's still going on this evening I should come in, it sounds like it is probably just muscles stretching and preparing, not labour starting, but I should rest for the rest of today and not go into work tomorrow.

Somehow this really clicked with me that I could really be about to have these babies quite soon! (lol, I had obviously realised before...) I'm now thinking perhaps it's stupid to travel more than 60 miles to a wedding this weekend. Am I being ott cautious? Or would it actually be stupid to go?

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 13:12:12

No way would I go. My twins came 7 weeks early.

RoganJosh Thu 02-Nov-17 13:14:43

What sort of journey is it? 90 minutes in a car is kind of different to three trains and three hours. Is it as near a hospital as you are at home, roughly?

Do you actually want to go? I can imagine you might just want to take it easy?

ArkadyRose Thu 02-Nov-17 13:15:24

I think I really wouldn't risk it myself. It's probably only Braxton Hicks, but if the MW is saying you might need to come in then that's probably a sign you need to stick close to home, even if it does turn out to be a false alarm!

NW10teacher Thu 02-Nov-17 13:29:16

It'll be about 2 hours in the car (with me driving it would be 90 mins, but DH drives sloooow). There is a hospital nearish, but it's further away than for us in London (we're about 10 mins by car here).

I feel a bit stupid for panicking now, but the MW didn't seem to think that I was crazy at least! It probably is just BH or muscles stretching or something though. I had a bit of an upset tummy this morning and I was sick, so I guess it could even just be that.

NW10teacher Thu 02-Nov-17 13:45:19

About wanting to go, I'm kind of in 2 minds! Part of me wants to, the other part of me just wants to take it easy at home.

mindutopia Thu 02-Nov-17 14:22:48

I would go. 60 miles is not far (very likely there is a hospital closer than that, if there truly was an emergency). But even no, you could easily just drive home. Most people wait longer than that to go in to hospital because they are packing and eating breakfast and shaving their legs. I would enjoy it as you're unlikely to have another night out like that for a long time. But of course, take it easy and leave early if you feel too tired or unwell at any point.

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 14:47:25

@mindutopia when you have twins, particularly if you're in premature labour, you go straight to hospital. You don't stay home shaving your legs. It's crucial the unborn babies get steroid injections if early labour starts, to help their lung development. You don't drive home! That's terrible advice. You go to nearest hospital and hope they have a nicu unit. If not they will transfer you to one that does via ambulance. If that hospital is 60 miles away you could have a problem if you're discharged and babies are still in as that's a little good journey. They will transfer them to a bearer hospital but inky if they gave 2 nicu beds.
Having twins at 32 weeks is not like going into labour normally it's really important to get medical help ASAP fur tge health if the babies.

NW10teacher Thu 02-Nov-17 16:05:18

I guess these are things only the twin mums get told, but thank you for your thoughts @2014newme. It makes me feel slightly less like I'm being OTT panicky and paranoid.

The weird pains have gone completely, but I was sick a couple more times, so I reckon it's a tummy upset or something. But I am going in to get checked over anyway on MW's advice.

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 16:14:51

Yes @mindutop advice is really dangerous but presumably she's thinking stay home till 10cm and doesn't know it's not the case for multiple births especially preemies

NW10teacher Fri 03-Nov-17 13:25:54

Decided not to go in the end and sad to be missing it, but I think it is safer sad The pains were only BH, but I'm still getting them and the MW told me to take it easy this weekend and rest as much as poss. So I decided that going to a wedding probably wouldn't come into that category!

BabyDreams2018 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:36:39

flowers you're making the right decision. It can't be much fun at this stage of a twin pregnancy, trying to get about and not over do it.

NW10teacher Fri 03-Nov-17 16:15:56

Yeah, it is just trying to find the balance! But I think the end of any pregnancy is like this too.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 03-Nov-17 17:46:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 03-Nov-17 17:47:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2014newme Fri 03-Nov-17 17:49:27

I never had braxton hicks but my twins still came at 33 weeks. One if them came out still in the sac, she obviously wasn't ready but twin 1 wanted out!

NW10teacher Sat 04-Nov-17 19:11:04

I didn't go in the end, so DH has had to make my excuses. @AnUtterIdiot I don't think your post was overconfident at all and I really hope you haven't gone into labour before finishing the post ;)

Mainly decided not to go for two reasons: firstly I was worried about babies deciding to arrive halfway to the Midlands, since I've been having loads of Braxton Hicks over the last few days and they seem way stronger than they were before. That said, nothing has happened, so it might just be that I'm getting really fed up and intolerant of everything.

Secondly, I'm supposed to be doing my last week at work next week and I really want to make it in to tie up loose ends and sort out my handovers properly. I'm feeling like I have a better chance to make it if I rest as much as poss this weekend.

RandomMess Sat 04-Nov-17 19:16:50

I think you made a sensible decision, every day matters! Now I hope you really are resting... brewcake

NW10teacher Sat 04-Nov-17 19:20:07

Apart from randomly deciding that I needed to clean the kitchen this morning, I am smile The desire to clean the kitchen wore off fairly quickly, actually...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: