Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies?

(11 Posts)
cavatappi Thu 02-Nov-17 12:23:52

Anyone use hypnosis for childbirth? Any recommendations?

cavatappi Thu 02-Nov-17 12:32:24

Also, I'm simultaneously nervous and curious/excited about the idea of being hypnotised. More nervous...

ChocolateRaisin Thu 02-Nov-17 13:23:21

I’ve done a hypnobirthing course, though haven’t given birth yet.

No one ‘hypnotises’ you, it is about training your brain and body to relax ready for birth so that you can relax during birth- self hypnosis.

There is lots of practice required beforehand, you do the course and then need to practise lots at home. I’m nearly 35 weeks and I’m spending approx 45 mins a per day practicing.

Foggymist Thu 02-Nov-17 13:29:27

Yeah nobody hypnotises you, it's about using self hypnosis techniques that will hopefully induce a calm day dreaming like state.

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Thu 02-Nov-17 13:40:09

I listened to Maggie Howell’s Natal Hypnotherapy. As others have said, it’s a form of self-hypnosis but actually it’s more like a set of techniques (breathing, visualisations and affirmations) that help you remain calm and feel more in control.

The Maggie Howell one enabled me to deliver my DS with no pain relief and kept me calm. It still hurt like a bitch but I felt able to handle it grin

RoryItsSnowing Thu 02-Nov-17 17:32:20

Hypnobirthing is brilliant, the name is misleading. We did Hollie de Cruz's course at London Hypnobirthing and it was fantastic.

It's about educating yourself on the science of labour and equipping yourself with the best tools, knowledge and mindset to deal with labour and delivery.

Personally thought it was worth every penny, and this is coming from someone who had really bad anxiety about the thought of childbirth. Hypnobirthing let me have the most positive experience I could have wanted, despite needing intervention.

Waddlelikeapenguin Thu 02-Nov-17 17:50:53

Hypnobabies is AMAZING. Two back to back births with nothing but birth pool & it.
Cant recommend enough & happy to answer any questions thst i can grin

Athome77 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:03:48

Done it was twice, ds1 induced had pethidine, ds2 gas and air (he weighed over 9lb). It definetly helped me.

HughLauriesStubble Thu 02-Nov-17 18:10:49

Maggie Howell worked brilliantly for me through 3 labours. The first ended in an induction and I had to get an epidural because my bp was skyrocketing, but I think the hypnobirthing and breathing helped keep me calm and focussed. The second labour was a total dream, got by on gas and air, was only 'bearing down' (pushing) for about 5 minutes. Third labour it worked great too but ended in an emcs. I felt that the hypnobirthing helped me stay calm in that situation too.

The breathing is the key, imo. I also read a book called Hypnoborthing that had a fair bit of earth mother mumbo jumbo in it, but also some great breathing exercises.

solittletime Thu 02-Nov-17 18:13:14

Definitely second Maggie Howell. It was my best labour thanks to it

cavatappi Tue 07-Nov-17 19:48:33

Thank you all! I had thought I'd be hypnotised and then my husband would hypnotise me during labor. Now I see it is more that I hypnotise myself with the recordings. Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now