Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes

(11 Posts)
MummyToBeAgain1 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:40:31

Hii

Posting this for support..

So I had my 28 week midwife app today who told me i'v got gestational diabetes. The normal score is 7 and anything above means you have it. I scored 7.9..

I won't have anymore midwife apps now.. i'll just be having hosp apps.

The baby is measuring exactly to its date.. everything else is fine. My BMI is normal.. more on the bottom end of the scale - I'm thin and tall.

I'm now at home stressing about labour :/ Dr Google is not helping. I don't want to be at risk of getting induced or having a c-section etc. Whats the likelihood? Has anyone been through this beforr and turned out to have a normal labour etc..

AnUtterIdiot Thu 02-Nov-17 15:43:02

Hi - I also have it, although perhaps more expected for me as I have a high BMI and am carrying twins. I'm still having midwife appointments as well as hospital appointments - I suppose it depends where you are but in my relatively small rural-ish community the midwives will pretty much fit you in if you ask to see them; would that make you feel better?

I feel your pain a bit as you weren't that far over normal. In my case my postmeal bloods are generally fine but my fasting bloods have a tendency to be slightly over 5.3. I would say that my readings have got a bit higher as things progress but they're still mostly normal and and the consultants are happy for me to control it with diet and have the odd score slightly over.

What my consultant said was not to worry too much about premature birth (it's a worry with twins anyway but I assume that's not an issue for you!). I'm having a planned section at 38 weeks, which is term, and also the latest they advise going for twins anyway. Basically what may happen with GD is that if the blood sugar can't be controlled then the baby may grow faster than it should and so to avoid it running out of room they may suggest inducing your singleton at 38 weeks. I don't think it means you're at higher risk of having a section? I can see why you would want to avoid an induction if you could but the thing to remember is that from the baby's point of view you're talking about coming at term instead of after term, basically.

Have they given you a blood glucose meter to monitor your bloods with? You may find they're actually not too bad. Most of my readings are normal, although I have had the odd carb blowout and it is fair to say that my readings are higher than normal if I do so I'm trying not to do that anymore!

The advice I was given was to try roughly 50g carbs at every meal, a snack of lowish carbs and protein in between meals, and to have a high protein snack at midnight to see if that helped with the fasting sugar, which it did.

I really, really hated being told I had GD, by the way. It's not been the most straightforward pregnancy in some respects (although in other respects it's not been too bad at all) and I felt as if I was "owed" no more complications which is a silly way to look at it of course. Plus although I am fat I have always been very healthy by every other measure - blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, thyroid, blood sugar have all always been absolutely fine - and this has kind of knocked my confidence in my usually rude health, although perhaps that's just as well. But actually (a) I like knowing what's going on with my bloods, (b) I will grudgingly admit that I have had a lot more energy since I started watching how much sugar and carbs I was eating and (c) the endgame is a healthy baby - people are very fond of telling you it's your birthing experience, but actually it's your baby's birthing experience and the endgame is simply to have a healthy baby.

PM me if you want to chat!

AnUtterIdiot Thu 02-Nov-17 15:46:18

I meant to say - they have warned me that as the babies grow and insulin demands increase I may need to go onto metformin or even insulin. I'm OK with that. (I'm not really, I irrationally hate the idea of it, but it's not about me, it's about the twins so I will have to suck it up if it comes to it.) I just keep telling myself that it's only another 5 weeks (for me - am 33 weeks at the moment and am having a section for reasons unconnected with the GD at 38 weeks). Once you have your baby, the diabetes will almost certainly clear up because you won't be managing the baby's insulin needs as well as your own anymore. It'll be OK.

UAEMum Thu 02-Nov-17 15:54:27

I had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my DS. They say its more common if you have had a lot of children (he was number 5), the older you are (i was 40) and if you are overweight (i was).
I started off diet controlled and then took metformin. I was induced at 38 weeks and he was tiny at 4lb. I expected him to be huge given all the fuss.
The birth was fine despite being induced.
The problem that his blood sugars were very low after birth. He was too exhausted to breastfeed, ended up in NICU with jaundice. After a week or so i gave up on bf and moved to ff. He picked up and did well from then on. We are now 4 years on and he is totally fine.

Cagliostro Thu 02-Nov-17 16:01:00

My little GD baby is 8 days old. I was induced at 37 weeks due to worries that the placenta wasn't functioning well, but she is perfectly healthy (as was the placenta). 6lb 9oz, whereas my last baby, where we realise now I must have had GD undiagnosed, was a massive 11lb 14oz (and unwell with low sugars).

It can happen to anyone - high BMI puts you at greater risk but it's the placenta that chucks out the hormones so it's not necessarily that. At the meeting I went to I was the only overweight one.

It's a very high maintenance way to be pregnant if I'm honest and I got so frustrated, but I promise you it is absolutely 100% worth it. I was doing blood glucose tests 4x daily, and during labour it was every 2 hours - it is extra important to keep them steady during the last bit because this is what affects baby's sugars at birth (if your sugars are too high then they will overproduce insulin in the womb and then struggle to regulate once born) - baby will have sugar tests themselves after birth.

There is a Facebook group called Gestational diabetes UK, it is absolutely brilliant and really kept me sane since diagnosis, I would highly recommend joining.

My GTT level was 8.1 and that is only slightly over the safe level here (7.8) so I do think mine was quite mild. But I put a lot of effort into my diet (I even lost weight although I was far too heavy to begin with so a more desirable outcome for me!) - I got told off at first for cutting carbs almost entirely, but then found a good balance where I just decreased the carbs in meals and increased protein/good fats, and cut out anything with refined sugar. Thankfully this was enough to stay diet controlled throughout and baby passed her sugar tests first time - despite usual hospital protocol for GD mums we were discharged well within 24h of the birth.

I have learned a lot from it TBH and although I am very happy to be able to have stuff like cake again grin I am planning on continuing with a lower carb way of eating - it's been surprisingly easy and I really don't feel deprived, I'm sure it helped me have more energy and feel fuller.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 02-Nov-17 16:04:06

I also cut out carbs at the beginning and was then ticked off for ketones in my wee grin

Cagliostro Thu 02-Nov-17 16:08:20

Just to add with my DS, who as I said was massive, we had a huge amount of difficulty after the birth. Because I had passed the GTT at 28w we had no idea I had GD (must have developed it later) and so I had no idea my blood sugars were too high. Him being so big was a hell of a shock (although the birth was fine, easiest of the three actually) but then his blood sugars stayed low for a few days and he was jaundiced too.

So no matter how hard it was dealing with all this, I know it was worth it and I just kept reminding myself how awful that time was, and I'm glad we caught the GD this time as it made it easier to prepare for any problems.

Cagliostro Thu 02-Nov-17 16:10:28

AUI I am autistic and my consultant who diagnosed me (I was already seeing her due to BMI and the history with DS) said about avoiding certain things so I took it literally and got really quite ill 😳 Thankfully it was only a few days until I saw her again and she told me to go and eat something with carbs for dinner before I gave her a heart attack from worrying about me 😳 It was much easier to find the balance after that! 😁😁

AnUtterIdiot Thu 02-Nov-17 16:15:49

I'm not autistic and I still took that advice literally - it's just so hard to know what to do! It didn't help that my first contact after the GTT was with a diabetes nurse who refused to give me any advice beyond "limit carbs" and then gave me an appointment for the clinic 2 weeks later. No wonder I had bloody ketones. Your little girl is gorgeous btw!

Cagliostro Thu 02-Nov-17 16:19:56

Aw thank you! I am somewhat in love 😍

Yes it is really a heck of a lot to take in isn't it, I did have an awful lot of anxiety over it and I'm glad not to have to check food labels anymore now! But it's not forever OP, this too shall pass (literally - as soon as you have passed the placenta you are no longer diabetic and that post-birth toast is literally THE BEST FOOD EVER smile) and it's just keeping baby safe. More scans are a bonus too smile

Rebeccaslicker Thu 02-Nov-17 18:29:13

It's shit, Op - I cried for about 3 days! But then I got on with it and actually ended up losing weight because of the diet. However 2.5 years later I am now pg with number 2 and think I am at least prediabetic (which is basically v early type 2 as far as I can tell sad).

Anyway what I wanted to say was, I ended up with a c section, which I was terrified of, and honestly it was really easy. Done in an hour; i was walking a few hours later and was in the pub having lunch with friends within the week. So obviously do your best with diet and exercise and hopefully you won't need a section, but if you do, try not to dread it!

On the plus side you get:

More checks and scans
A better diet
More exercise

Other piece of advice - don't think about what you can't eat, think about what you CAN eat. Cheese. Fish. Meat. Avocado. Eggs. Nuts. Look up fathead pizza - low carb and extra cheese, yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now