Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Labour - is this it starting? Help!

(46 Posts)
MotherOfBeagles Wed 01-Nov-17 23:17:09

So ftm obviously as have no clue. I’m 41 weeks tomorrow.

Had a sweep on Saturday and was nowhere near cervix still 2.5cm and facing backwards.

Been losing bits of my mucus plug for the last three days.

Had another sweep this morning and cervix was in right position, 2cm dilated and stretchy.

Since this morning I’ve been really crampy and really uncomfortable. Had hot water bottles and a bath which helped to ease it. But then -

In the last hour I’ve lost what I think is the rest of my mucus plug looking online it seems to be the right amount, if not then huge chunk.

For the last hour and a half I’ve also had 5 regularly spaced “contractions” I think. But they are mainly in my lower back and my rectum. A lot of pressure, feels like stretching stabbing and pushing at the same time. Not noticed if it’s in my belly as tbh it’s totally taken my breath away each time.

Does this sound like the start of labour?

Couchpotato3 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:18:11

Yup, you're underway. Good luck!

chocolateorangeowls Wed 01-Nov-17 23:19:57

Watch out for your mattress if you go to bed, my waters went soon after I lost my plug, all over the bed! Good luck grin

Justmuddlingalong Wed 01-Nov-17 23:20:12

Yes. Oooh, how exciting! Try and get some sleep, or at least a rest.

LittleBirdBlues Wed 01-Nov-17 23:20:13

Your baby will be with you soon. smile good luck.

MotherOfBeagles Wed 01-Nov-17 23:20:51

Oh god I’m on my step dads beloved rocking chair that he’s lent me for the babies room. Best put some towels down!

I really hope it is. As much as I’m terrified I’m so fed up of being pregnant.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

mamarach26 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:22:40

You’re on your way! I had my DS 11 weeks ago. I had exactly what you’re describing, pressure in bum and period type pains. Held on for a day, when I got to the hospital I was 9cm and ready to push.
Good luck!!

Efferlunt Wed 01-Nov-17 23:22:46

Sounds very promising! I’m three days over so really hoping something happens soon!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 01-Nov-17 23:23:04

Just think, you'll be cuddling your snuggly wee baby on that rocking chair soon. Enjoy. flowers

MotherOfBeagles Wed 01-Nov-17 23:24:56

I really hope so! Almost counting down now and wishing for the next contraction. Watch it not come now and me have got my hopes up for nothing grin

GlitteryFluff Wed 01-Nov-17 23:26:21

Ooh exciting. Sounds like it. Good luck!

rachrach2 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:29:30

Definitely sounds positive! How exciting! Get some sleep if you can. Keep us updated!

Halfdrankbrew Wed 01-Nov-17 23:34:39

Sounds very promising, how exciting smile you'll be holding that baby very soon, good luck!!

HamSandWitches Wed 01-Nov-17 23:37:08

Sounds like the baby could be back to back it you are finding the pains more in your rear. What happened with mine is not much happened up front. If they try and send you home when you go in as nothings happening up front ask them to check if the baby is back to back as you feel like the pain is more in your back/bum

MotherOfBeagles Wed 01-Nov-17 23:44:19

Will do thanks ham! Baby had been mainly back to back or sideways throughout so wouldn’t surprise me if he was sad

Mrstobe90 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:53:06

Good luck!! Keep us posted smile

Misspilly88 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:55:22

Yes, but don't get too excited. It can be slow going with first baby. Try and rest as much as you Can!!

DeadDoorpost Wed 01-Nov-17 23:57:10

Sounds like what my nam was twlling me abouy her back to back birth! She said she didnt realise you could have that sort if pain during birth but it didn't really happen in her belly. Definitely let the midwives know where the pain is but you could be lucky; it is possible for the baby to twist round to be front to back before he's born. Good luck!

FastWindow Thu 02-Nov-17 00:00:39

Oh it's been 7 years since my first!

Got your bag ready? I didn't, but tbf I was only 36 +3. Dh brought me a bag after the fact. It contained exclusively his gear, but in hindsight boxers worked quite well...

HamSandWitches Thu 02-Nov-17 00:00:57

Sometimes it can get missed depending on the midwife I have found

Good Luck, if you can't lie flat try all fours or on your side maybe depending where the pressure is smile

nc1234567 Thu 02-Nov-17 00:03:32

Yeppp!! Good luck!!

I was exactly the same as you period pains for hourssss and then contractions started and I wasn't sure but it was!

Xxx

HamSandWitches Thu 02-Nov-17 00:06:06

Pains a bit strange not where you are expecting it to be. You might be the right way round but just keep it in mind if they say nothings happening at the front and don't notice but you feel like there is.

Applesandpears23 Thu 02-Nov-17 00:06:15

Try and sleep. If it is back to back the start might be long and sliw and start and stop. Don't do what I did and get over excited and over tired.

MotherOfBeagles Thu 02-Nov-17 00:13:22

Well the regularity has disappeared but keep getting smaller further apart waves of the pains so not completely gone. I knew I’d scare it off lol. Going to try and sleep for a bit see what happens. Thanks all!

Halfdrankbrew Thu 02-Nov-17 00:26:44

I had back to back labour too, pain was all in my back. I had quite a few false starts though, a few hours of contractions and then nothing everyday for over a week. Did take a long time and stalled once it had really started too but I gave birth to my daughter in the back to back position, no problems. You'll hopefully have a perfectly positioned bub waiting to make an appearance. I just didn't want you to worry in case you go to hospital and find out he's back to back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: