Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in appointment

(8 Posts)
Sharl2017 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:14:41

Hi, I'm 8+4 and have my booking in appointment tomorrow afternoon.
I didn't make it this far with my previous pregnancy so already feels a small achievement however I have no idea what to expect.
I'm aware there will be lots of talking and paperwork and blood tests, and they'll book me in for my 12 week scan. So what else happens?.. is the midwife likely to do an examination of my tummy or down below? Will they use a Doppler and try to find a heart beat? I'm so excited and so anxious about just about all of it so if anyone could give me the heads up that would be great! brew

NoParticularPattern Wed 01-Nov-17 22:18:17

I was the exact same as you this time around- no idea what would happen since I had to ring and cancel my last one the day before!!

Basically it’s lots of form filling, questions about yours and your partner’s health, blood taken and thins like height/weight/blood pressure. General chat about how you’re feeling etc etc. My midwife didn’t do any sort of examination of my tummy or anything else and didn’t listen for a heartbeat until 16 weeks (and even then they’re not supposed to since it is so hard to find one at that point anyway!). It was basically just a giant form filling exercise!

gallicgirl Wed 01-Nov-17 22:19:18

No doppler until 16-18 weeks I'm afraid. It's simply not possible to hear a heartbeat before.
There's no exam, mostly it will be paperwork.
The midwife will take a medical history, check your family circumstances, see if you need any extra support and talk about birth choices.
Don't worry if your midwife seems a bit blasé, it's just they deal with hundreds of births so don't always get how special your pregnancy is to you.
Congratulations.

Ca55andraMortmain Wed 01-Nov-17 22:20:47

Congratulations! Pregnancy can be exciting, but to be brutally honest the booking in appointment can be a bit dull. It's mostly paperwork. They'll ask for family medical history from both you and dp's families, weigh you and take a urine and possibly a blood sample. It's too early to hear the heartbeat with a Doppler yet - most midwives do that for the first time around 16 weeks. They ask you about domestic violence and personal medical history too. That's about it as far as I can remember! Don't worry, it gets much more exciting after the 12 week scan.

You do get your notes and your bounty pack at booking in though so that's exciting!

Mascarawandlady Wed 01-Nov-17 22:27:22

Had my booking in appointment yesterday. (Second booking in, but this will hopefully be first baby).
It's exciting in the respect that you finally feel like the ball is rolling with the pregnancy.
Yesterday, it was lots of form filling (health of me and my husband), mental health, happy about pregnancy, any extra support needed, height, weight etc.
A urine sample, and a blood test.
Got my bounty pack which is nice.
Congratulations, it's exciting smile

Sharl2017 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:29:18

Thanks all! I didn't think they did Doppler yet but someone mentioned it today and I didn't want to get my hopes up too high.

Thank you for all your responses. I'm looking forward to getting my bounty pack purely so it feels like I have something that shows this pregnancy is real 🙈
I think I might be going crazy!!

chickhonhoneybabe Wed 01-Nov-17 22:47:39

Congratulations!

Details of the antenatal care/appointments is listed here.

Please take a urine sample to all of your appointments, so that your midwife can test this for you.

Please note that some midwives will NOT listen into the baby’s heart rate (in uncomplicated pregnancies), as NICE guidelines doesn’t recommend this.

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg62/ifp/chapter/Antenatal-appointments

ForeverHopeful21 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:58:00

Sorry to jump in on your thread OP but this as highlighted a question / worry of my own.....

At my first booking in app, the midwife went through medical health with both me and my dh which from what most of you have said is normal. I then sadly miscarried, but I'm now pregnant again.
We decided to go to a different hospital this time who seem to do things very differently. At my most recent booking in they didn't ask my dh any questions at all. His father has LOTS of health problems which were all noted the first time round, whereas, aren't noted anywhere this time. I feel a bit stupid that I didn't query this at the time, but I assumed the midwife would know what she was doing. Is this normal???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now