Advanced search

Health visitor

(30 Posts)
Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:48:53

I have the health visitor coming round to mine tomorrow, I'm feeling really nervous about it. I know it's just for a chat and no doubt hand me leaflets but can't help worry about it. I know it sounds silly!

MagicMoneyTree Wed 01-Nov-17 19:06:24

It’ll be fine. I cleaned the house top to bottom when mine came. Thought she was going to want to inspect the baby’s room, check where it would be sleeping, etc. It was fine- just a getting to know you chat and a few leaflets. Absolutely nothing to worry about x

CL1982 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:20:06

Argh. Is this a thing?! Do they all do that? It feels quite intrusive....

MagicMoneyTree Wed 01-Nov-17 19:24:47

It’s just an informal way of introducing themselves before the baby arrives, gives you a chance to ask any questions, etc.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:26:01

I've done the same today and off to mop now, that's what I keep thinking she is going to do and plus a student is coming along as well. I worry way to much and she sounded lovely on the phone. @magicmoneytree

Passmethecrisps Wed 01-Nov-17 19:29:48

You don’t need to see her if you don’t want to but there really is nothing to worry about.

When I had dd1 5 years ago this wasn’t a thingbut it seems to have come in quite recently. I was offered for dd2 before she arrived a few months ago.

The HV is there to chat through any concerns or questions you might have and signpost you to helpful people or resources. He or she won’t be expecting a show Home and I don’t think should be asking to see where baby sleeps.

I had a difficult relationship with my HV for DD1 but I have thawed this time as I think I both understand her role better and have more confidence in myself anyway.

I am sure it will be fine

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:35:36

I guess it's a nice to meet her before baby arrives. Thank you, I'm sure it will be fine. The last health visitor I had with my daughter was so lovely I'm hoping this one is the same 🙈 @passmethecrisps

Passmethecrisps Wed 01-Nov-17 19:41:55

Cripes sorry! The massive clue of your username should have led me to the fact that this is not your first. I sound a bit patronising!

BabyOrSanta Wed 01-Nov-17 19:42:48

Do we actually have a choice about seeing them?

Hairgician Wed 01-Nov-17 19:43:48

Is this really a thing now then?? Didn't have hv visit for ds1 4yrs ago.

BabyOrSanta Wed 01-Nov-17 19:45:14

It is round here (Lincolnshire) - mine's coming soon and I'm bricking it

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:47:01

Haha it's ok. My daughter is 6 so was a while ago but I can't remember if I met mine before or after the birth @passmethecrisps

Passmethecrisps Wed 01-Nov-17 19:47:19

Hair my second girl is 4 months old and I was offered a pre-birth home visit.

The other thing which is different is with DD1 I was always going to see her at the health centre. This time she always comes out to see me

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:48:36

@hairgician I wasn't aware until I got a letter through last week and it just said to call up and arrange a time for her to come round. My midwife said to me the other day they try and get round everyone if they can now?

StealthPolarBear Wed 01-Nov-17 19:50:10

Everyone should be offered an antenatal visit, it is mandatory.

BexleyRae Wed 01-Nov-17 19:52:11

I had a pre birth visit from the HV and I cleaned everywhere before, but she just chatted, gave some leaflets and I think asked about smoking and domestic violence. She also said that she often didn't get to visit before baby was born as a lot of people couldn't make the appointments she was also lovely as said my bump was so meat it looked like I had swallowed a pickled onion smile

Expectingbsbunumber2 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:03:59

@bexleyrae that sounds like a good visit. Hope that's what mine will be like tomorrow lol

Loosemoose28 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:06:35

You can opt out of health visitor services if you havw n

Loosemoose28 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:07:50

You can opt out of health visitor services if you are a normal low risk family. Ie not under child protection.

glastogal Sun 05-Nov-17 09:10:19

Don't think I'm going to see my HV before the baby arrives.. 36+2 now and heard nothing, despite the MW calling to chase up the appt. I know I have one allocated, at least! I don't mind not seeing her antenatally, I just hope it's not a sign that she's going to be a bit crap generally confused

AppleKatie Sun 05-Nov-17 09:15:05

It does vary a bit by location I lived on a county boarder with my second and didn't get a visit but friends in the other county did. We all birthed at the same hospital but the community services were very different.

InDubiousBattle Sun 05-Nov-17 09:15:47

The ante natal visits must have started sometime between 2 and 4 years ago because I didn't have one for ds but was offered one for dd. As it turned out I didn't actually get a visit with dd because they were so short staffed, the hv remembered me from various clinics etc I'd been to with ds and just asked if I was ok. I remember her reminding me to drink lots because it was during a heat wave but that's it!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 05-Nov-17 10:54:06

We also panicked and cleaned like mad but she was lovely and just gave us the red books and some leaflets smile

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Nov-17 11:07:31

The visits were mandated in October 2015

2014newme Sun 05-Nov-17 11:10:29

We had a visit when we moved to new area. It was nice, she told me about various local facilities.
HV are not the enemy they're here to help. Mine was helpful, I had twins and she'd come to the house to weigh them when they were tiny to save me taking them to clinic. Called her a couple of times o er tge years with questions. My dd wasn't eating much I asked HV to come and observe a meal, totally put my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now