Talk

Advanced search

Overdue

(9 Posts)
Partridge27 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:21:15

Hi,

Anybody else overdue and had enough now?
I'm 41+2 today and had my second failed sweep. The mw managed to 'stretch but not sweep' so she said it may still have some effect but I'm not holding my breath. Apart from regular bh, and some period like pains last night no other signs of this baby making an appearence soon.
Got another sweep booked for Friday along with a discussion with midwives about delaying induction. We were planning a homebirth so ideally want to avoid induction. The midwives are very supportive of this but I think the constant messages asking if baby is here (as if we've just forgotten to mention it) along with people's unwanted negative opinions on homebirth and delaying induction are getting to me now.
Think I'm just having a bad day and needed to vent. Apprently dp is picking up a treat on his way home, I hope it's chocolate!

espoleta Wed 01-Nov-17 20:51:15

I feel your pain.
40+5.
At our 38 week appointment she was engaged and my body was getting ready to go. Period like pains, irregular tightening ect.
And then... nothing. Everything stopped. Apparently it happens.
Wasn’t offered a sweep at my 40wk appointment and will only get one at 41wks.
Honestly, I’ve been really reasonable and good for the last 40 weeks, I really feel like I deserve a break.
Plus the constant messages.... aggghhhhhh!!!

Partridge27 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:59:45

Is it your first? Just read that you should be offered sweeps from 40 weeks for first and 41 for subsequent babies. Not that it probably would have made much difference to me, 3rd sweep today and still unable to reach the membranes.
So we've got an appointment on Monday morning for a 4th attempt, they've provisionally booked us in for induction on the Monday aft or if we decline then I'm booked in for a scan and monitoring on the Tuesday morning.
Looking like me plan of a homebirth is slipping away. I know that in the end it'll all be worth it but I think I'm just disappointed that I may go from a planned homebirth to being induced and the increased chance of epidural/ intervention/ c section.

mummabubs Fri 03-Nov-17 17:06:59

Up to you OP but just wanted to say for what it's worth I went to 42+1 with my firstborn a couple of weeks ago. I'd said I wanted to decline induction but sadly didn't feel supported in my decision by professionals who instead guilt tripped me into caving. My one regret of my labour was accepting the induction- as it turns out baby turned back to back and got the cord wrapped round their neck three times, so it was good that I gave birth in hospital as I ended up needing forceps and an episiotomy in theatre. However I've already said for number 2 I'd refuse induction and stick to it, mainly because (don't want to sound patronising but I didn't consider this beforehand) I think it's easy to not really know what it's like to be on an induction ward, not just for the induction itself but also for the latent and first stage of labour- no privacy in an unfamiliar environment and in my experience surrounded by a lot of women all screaming in pain as their own labours kicked in :/ Hope you make the right decision for you and good luck for the birth!

espoleta Fri 03-Nov-17 18:05:11

Yes it’s my first. In my trust they don’t offer a sweep as standard. I talked about it with the midwife and agreed that spontaneous labour was the best for both me and the baby.
Went to pregnancy yoga today and I think that might have started things off.
I like you are worried that my water birth with calm overhead lighting and soft music is flying away from me which is disheartening.
I completely agreed about the induction process and I’m doing research about it now as I think I might refuse. I don’t want to be stuck in a room with 3 other people I don’t know slowly going into labour without a birthing ball, couch ect. Plus the increase risks of epidural, sections and intervention make me nervous.

Efferlunt Fri 03-Nov-17 18:10:53

I’m 40 + 4. I’m (just) over 40 so they are v keen to induce. Two sweeps have done nothing.

I’m so fed up. I had an induction with my first which escalated through all the interventions. I’d do anything to avoid that again. Why can’t I just bloody go into labour!

Bananarama12 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:28:43

I'm 41 today and had first sweep yesterday. Had a few cramps and made baby move like crazy which made me very sore sad
Got another sweep tomorrow which I hope works otherwise I am being induced on Tuesday.

Partridge27 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:40:29

Thanks mummabubs I think if there's any sign of baby making an appearance when I see the midwife on Monday I'll try and hold off. She's already said that the registrar on Tuesday would be very persuasive re an induction so to be prepared for the pressure, whereas she was more supportive.
I'm still hoping baby makes a sudden appearance this weekend!

LaBelleSausage Wed 22-Nov-17 10:43:29

Didn't want to start a new thread, although I hope you ladies have left by now!

I'm 40+3 and in the over club.
Overweight, overwhelmed, over tired, over emotional as well as over due.

Has an appointment yesterday where the midwife wouldn't even consider looking to do a stretch or sweep as the baby's head isn't engaged.

Is there anyone out there who wants to join me in moaning for a few days about how uncomfortable we are?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now