Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta previa & bloodclot

(12 Posts)
Rebekah120517 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:23:55

Hi all,

I’m new on here and looking for some advice.

At our 20 week scan we were told that we have placenta previa and that we’d get an extra scan at 32 weeks. Last Thursday at 24 weeks 6 days I had a bleed. I went to the hospital and they admitted me telling me I have the placenta previa and a blood clot behind the placenta. They said the baby’s heartbeat is strong and that she seems active and content. They gave me two steroid injections to develop her lungs quicker. They spoke about early delivery and a c-section. I was given the green light to go home after two days in the hospital, been told to rest and not to go back to work. We have a meeting with the consultant on Friday.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If so, what did the consultant have to say? Did you deliver early?

Thanks

Rebekah

Steeley113 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:29:19

Following as I'm in a very similar situation. Low lying placenta at 17 weeks and having lots of bleeds.

GreenCow Wed 01-Nov-17 10:34:16

I live in Australia so not NHS, but I was put on bedrest at home for the remainder of the pregnancy after a very light bleed at 23 weeks. Was signed off work. This was a public hospital.

Do you know what grade PP you have? I had grade 4 which is the most serious.

Good luck.

GreenCow Wed 01-Nov-17 10:36:23

Sorry forgot to say.... no more bleeds and they admitted me at 35 weeks to be safe. Baby delivered by elective c section at 38 weeks. All good. Met a few other women in hospital who had more severe bleeds but were all ok.

Rebekah120517 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:49:44

No I have no idea what grade PP I have. I will ask that question with the consultant on Friday. I’ve also read that the placenta can move and if it does there will be no need for a section. Did yours not move and that’s why they continued with the section?

Thank you for your reply.

GreenCow Wed 01-Nov-17 11:20:18

I think grade 4 rarely moves. The grade refers to how close to the cervix the placenta is. Grade 4 the placenta completely covers the cervix. Grade 1 is a couple of centimetres away I think. Take it easy, It is quite risky. Do you live far from a hospital?

Fingers crossed for you

Rebekah120517 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:35:26

No only 15 minutes. The doctor asked me before letting me go home if we were close by and if I would always be with someone.

Thank you

GreenCow Wed 01-Nov-17 19:08:42

They told me to tell the operator it was placenta privia if we ever had to call an ambulance and then they would know to really step on it.

Having said all that, I had a really uneventful pregnancy apart from the small bleed early on. I just had to spend most of it lying around reading.

I hope you do too.

GreenCow Wed 01-Nov-17 19:10:02

Maybe ask them about when you will deliver and come into hospital. I had to arrange care for my other kids for the last three weeks which was tricky.

mamalovesviolet Wed 01-Nov-17 19:16:34

I had placenta prévia with my daughter 2 years ago. I had big bleeds at 32 and 34 weeks and had steroid injections for her lungs. At 35+5 my scan showed it had finally moved up! At 36 weeks my waters went with another big bleed (not pp but maybe related?) and I was induced a day later.

They can move late on and you go on to have a normal delivery. X

user1493413286 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:41:22

I hope this doesn’t frighten you - I had placenta previa with my first bleed at 27 weeks then 4 subsequent hospital admissions with bleeds thought to be related to my my placenta moving, each time there was a chat about baby possibly arriving early and we were told by the consultants that baby could come early or I could go full term and that if I had any further bleeds to get to the hospital asap. We were very much told it was a waiting game, to carry on with our lives but not to have sex.
My baby arrived at 32+5 but I was told repeatedly by midwives and doctors that I was in the minority for women who have placenta previa. Although she was early I was proud that we’d managed to get from possible arrival at 27 weeks to 32 weeks.
During my first admission a midwife told me that my pregnancy may feel long and to take one day at a time and be pleased with each day we completed which was the best advice for me

Rebekah120517 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:36:16

Yes that’s what we were told last week too if there was any more bleeding to come straight back over and we were told it’s very much a waiting game too. I have been told to rest but I’m finding it very hard. We are preparing ourselves for an early delivery and for a section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now