Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Incompetent cervix and septate uterus

(10 Posts)
zaalitje Wed 01-Nov-17 07:10:25

I had a moderate septate uterus which was treated and the septum removed.

Due to previous losses I'm paranoid about something going wrong and had been worrying about incompetent cervix leading to a second trimester loss.

I have read a study that shows a link between incompetent cervix and uterine abnormalities, the risk factor being around 10% with septate uterus.

It was treated by my ivf clinic so my dr and midwife isn't aware (NHS scans hadn't picked it up, infact they said it was fine when i was checked, the clinic abroad picked it up when I went for a consultation).

I had my booking in appt with the midwife a couple weeks ago and it didn't come up. I don't have another apt until 16 weeks, should I be contacting her to let her know? I don't want them thinking I'm an over anxious nut job, but I also don't want to lose this baby and a risk factor of 10% is high!

DeadDoorpost Wed 01-Nov-17 18:40:47

If you're that worried I'd phone them up and speak to them. There's nothing wrong with letting them know as the earlier you give them a heads up the more time they have to sort anything out that they need to.
Women (me) have phoned them up for more trifling matters and they've always been fine about answering questions and getting things sorted.

thingymaboob Wed 01-Nov-17 18:53:52

They will not think you're nut job! I was referred to an obstetrician due to previous cervical surgery. Normally anyone who has had any gynaecology type surgery gets referred to an obstetrician in the uk. It doesn't mean you'll stay under obstetrician care, they'll just need to review and make a decision from there. If your midwife knew about surgery she'd have referred you. A friend of mine had surgery due to a bicornuate (sp) uterus and lots of previous MCs. She's also a midwife and said it's standard in those circumstances. When I was referred the obstetrician she sent me for a cervical scan, which is very easy to perform. I had two altogether as they were monitoring it over a couple of weeks. I'd tell your midwife about your concerns and ask for an obstetrician review due to previous surgery and increased risk factors.

thingymaboob Wed 01-Nov-17 18:56:19

Did your midwife not ask you about your medical history at your booking in appointment?

JoJoSM2 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:06:50

I would think you should managed by an obstetrician and not a midwife too. But as PP said, wasn’t that discussed when you had your appointment?

zaalitje Wed 01-Nov-17 21:06:35

I'm under consultant care due to my age and previous multiple miscarriage.

We went through a lot of questions on my booking appt but nothing about this, I guess they don't ask cause they assume it would already be on my records and the check in had here in UK said I had no problems.

thingymaboob Wed 01-Nov-17 22:41:05

Your midwife does not gave full access to your GP records on the system they use. At booking in they normally ask you for your past medical history and there's a section in your maternity notes for significant history and things to be discussed / reviewed by obstetrician. I would ring them tomorrow and explain that you didn't tell them about the surgery but you think, on reflection, that it's relevant and you'd like to discuss it with your consultant and make sure you see the consultant soon.

zaalitje Thu 02-Nov-17 03:03:08

Are you sure that they don't have full access?
As we were running through the questions she kept referring to things in my notes or said, l"oh I can check that against your notes" when I was unsure of dates etc.

JCBabn Thu 02-Nov-17 05:22:39

Hi
I will call the midwife ASAP. There appear to have been a miscommunication somewhere. Yes as pp said they go through your whole medical history and this appear to be a huge and important piece of information that got left out.
Also they don’t have access to your whole medical history. Only if you had a baby or babies, they have access to those files. Those files get sent to them prior to the booking appointment and they have it with them whilst doing the booking.

zaalitje Thu 02-Nov-17 12:13:12

Midwife didn't seem bothered by it, said she didn't know if there were complications from the septate and that it might be worth mentioning to consultant when I have my appt.

So all a stress about nothing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now