Talk

Advanced search

Told sex/gender @nhs dating scan, 12+4

(20 Posts)
Lauren45286 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:44:27

Has anyone else been told (I asked) the sex at their dating scan? The sonographer also does a lot of private work (so early gender scans etc) & she said she would be very very surprised if baby wasn’t a boy! She was fairly sure so we didn’t think any more of it.

Friends (inc midwives) have said it would be impossible to tell this early on though. Anyone been told this early & it’s been wrong/right? We really don’t mind either way however just wondered whether we should stop saying it’s a boy just in case haha

Expectingbsbunumber2 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:46:27

Yeah it would be impossible to tell as they haven't developed that area yet at this stage. You shouldn't have been told that

TheHeartOfTeFiti Tue 31-Oct-17 12:49:48

My friend goes on about some nub theory look that up

OpalIridescence Tue 31-Oct-17 12:51:38

My friend was told at private scan at around 13 weeks.
They did say they could not be sure. They said girl, the baby was a boy.

Lauren45286 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:51:50

She was clear that it wasn’t a confirmed gender! We were talking about three different theories etc so she went it for a look. To be fair to her, it certainly looked like boy parts had already developed.

Lauren45286 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:54:27

That’s exactly why she went and checked as I was talking about the nub theory & the nub defo looked like a boy nub. I used to try & guess friends babies genders etc via nub theory!

I know it’s more common for people to be told girl then to later find out boy, just wasn’t sure likelihood of boy being girl smile

SeasickCrocodile Tue 31-Oct-17 13:06:18

Both times we’ve been told the sex at 12 weeks and both times they were right. One boy and one girl. The doctor doing the scan on my daughter said it’s the shape of the pelvis that gives it away at that stage rather than which bits are present.

ems137 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:17:53

When I had my 1st boy over 11 years ago we asked at our 12 week scan if they were able to tell the sex.

They had a look and told us the same as what your sonographer told you, that they would say it’s a boy but could never be 100% sure. We even saw what looked like obvious genitals.

They were right, he was a boy!

ClaireBear1986 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:14:27

My best friend was told at her 12 week NHS scan that she was having a girl. (She asked them if they knew the gender and they said yes, it was 99% a girl)

At her 20 week NHS scan, she was told she was having a boy. She did have a boy!!

I would take it with a pinch of salt this early on tbh.

ClaireBear1986 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:15:56

Be interesting to know when "he" is born, if they got it right though @lauren45286.
So please keep us updated smile

allthecheese Tue 31-Oct-17 14:35:21

We were told (NHS hospital) at our 12 week scan. But only because the sonographer was >80% sure (nub theory), and because I was crying so much (sickness, hormones, pre natal depression etc.)

Neptunesgiraffe Tue 31-Oct-17 14:38:31

I was told at 13 weeks I was having a boy. I could see his bits on the scan. It was really clear.
This was 6 years ago and he is definitely a boy!smile

Upandoutearly Tue 31-Oct-17 14:41:01

Have you got a scan pic lauren I do private scanning from 14 weeks onwards.

Was it a nub shot or a 'potty' shot?

sinceyouask Tue 31-Oct-17 14:48:15

I think I've read that the penis/ clitoris are about the same size until 14 weeks-ish, so how could anyone even make a good guess before that?

BrioAmio Tue 31-Oct-17 14:50:18

The odds are pretty good, 50/50. She’ll either be right or wrong.

justtheonethen Tue 31-Oct-17 14:52:27

We got told prediction at dating scan based on nub theory. Just had anomaly scan and they agree it's looking like a girl.

CountessOfStrathearn Tue 31-Oct-17 14:55:51

An experienced sonographer will sometimes be able to tell. I was told at 13 weeks (because the baby was likely to die before term and we wanted to name her). Of course, it isn't guaranteed at any gestation, but she must have been very confident to offer to tell you at 12 weeks.

Lauren45286 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:22:27

When she made her educated guess it was looking at a potty shot however I don’t have any pictures of the potty shots!

Lauren45286 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:39:55

For those of you that were interested, baby was confirmed a boy @ private 16week scan! The sonographer at the private scan said it’s definitely possible to tell at 12 weeks particularly on slimmer ladies & as long as there is plenty of fluid around baby!

SueSueDonahue Mon 20-Nov-17 12:43:55

Two pregnancies were both predicted accurately at 12 weeks for me.

Entirely possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now