Talk

Advanced search

A poo one

(16 Posts)
zaalitje Tue 31-Oct-17 08:04:27

Can't believe that I'm asking this but I'm hugely constipated, have both Fybogel and Lactulose but they don't seem to do much.

Anyway I find I'm straining A LOT when I need to go, could someone just reassure me that the huge amount of straining and pushing to poo won't induce a miscarriage.

I've had losses previously, and even without that I'm quite an anxious over thinker.

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 31-Oct-17 08:08:19

Pushing for a pop can stain you uterus or give you piles. Have you tried prune juice.
If i ate some fig biscuits I needed to poop all the time. smile

Lozmatoz Tue 31-Oct-17 08:14:17

Drink a big glass of water with your lactulose, it drawers water from
The bowel so you need it. I also chomp through a pack of prunes every week.

I highly doubt that straining will make you miscarriage, but I’m not a medical professional.

tootsieglitterballs Tue 31-Oct-17 09:11:58

I had the same problem last week or so... it was awful.

Dates
Black coffee
Orange juice
Dried apricots

Take a good book or magazine to the loo with you, and use your birthing techniques when it comes to getting it out! Don’t strain too much, blowing works well!

Foggymist Tue 31-Oct-17 09:31:56

It won't cause a miscarriage but it will likely cause piles, which may haunt you forever if they are bad enough from a lot of straining.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 31-Oct-17 09:48:44

As PPs have said, you need to really increase the amount of water you are drinking. Lactulose works by pulling water into the bowel to make the faeces softer. The more you drink the better it can work

zaalitje Tue 31-Oct-17 14:13:33

I think I am drinking about 2.5 litres a day, possibly more, but do frequently feel thirsty but drinking more just makes the heartburn worse.
How much should I be drinking? 3+ litres sounds a lot!

Does anyone else find the pains that come with constipation and trapped wind frightening? They've had me in tears several times and I'm constantly expecting them to be a misscarige, not being a bit 'bunged up'.

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:42:45

I've been constipated a few times I'm only 8 weeks but yes I get abdominal pain when I need to go but can't. I sit on the loo thinking this is it. It's happening again. But so far everything going good. Xx

Starwhisperer Tue 31-Oct-17 18:44:45

I took a foot stool into the loo with me for pregnancy constipation. Putting my feet up on it seemed to give me a better position and things moved along more easily.

olicat Tue 31-Oct-17 19:18:24

Honestly I tried all the standard stuff but kiwis have been an absolute revelation! 2 after dinner sorts you right out.

zaalitje Tue 31-Oct-17 19:21:41

Kiwis are now on tomorrow's shopping list, thank you.

Thanks for the other suggestions too

tootsieglitterballs Tue 31-Oct-17 19:59:32

Oh yes, foot stool by the loo too, certainly helps!

Penguin27 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:03:18

I’ve developed piles from the amount of constipation I’ve suffered sad GP recommended using a stool to rest your feet, as PP said, it puts you into a squat position which relaxes the bowel muscles. Also prescribed some laxatives, Molaxole or something they’re called. Bloody nasty though!

bettydraper31 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:30:39

I second the stool in the bathroom.

Also, I drink a large glass of orange juice in the morning and also snack on prunes.

If you really can't shift it, you may need to pop a constipation suppository up there, works wonders.

Do not strain, if it's not coming out just get up and carry and try again later. You could give yourself piles, or tear yourself. I've had an anal fissure (tear) before and it haunted me for years so please please be careful.

Wack a suppository up there for this time then oj, prunes, and all of the above to stop it happenening.

Also- I learnt this exercise during my first pregnancy- sit on the toilet and twist your top half round from side to side. It twists your insides (gently) and gets things moving. This works for me every time.

I feel your pain xxx

EastDulwichWife Tue 31-Oct-17 21:44:55

Pears! Sorry you're suffering. It's so uncomfortable.

BartlebyTheScrivener Tue 31-Oct-17 21:48:14

I doubt that straining poses any risk to your baby but it can and does cause prolapses, more common and more horrible than is widely talked about. I second the use of footstool and adjustments to diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now