Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Posterior at 37 weeks

(9 Posts)
pomadas87 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:30:22

Hi there, wondering if anyone could advise me please!
Noticed in my maternity notes that baby is posterior which I think means back to back - I've heard this can lead to an even more painful Labour. However my midwife didn't say anything about this at my last appointment, I even asked if baby was in a good position and she said yes.
Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I try exercises to make the baby turn around?

Expectingbsbunumber2 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:17:37

I had a back to back birth and not going to lie it wasn't pleasant. Unfortunately the baby will change position on its own, hoping baby turns for you

pomadas87 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:22:39

Thanks for the reply! So I am right in thinking it's not ideal? I don't know why the midwife wouldn't mention it then?
Does anyone know of anything I can do to help baby face the other way?

VioletCharlotte Tue 31-Oct-17 09:24:21

My son was back to back. It did mean my labour was long and all the contractions were in my back. I've heard that sitting on an exercise ball and lots of walking can help turn them. My midwife said it's because we spend so much time sitting nowadays that more babies are back to back.

pomadas87 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:31:06

Thanks Violet. When you say the contractions were in your back, what does that mean? As in that was where the pain was, like the worst back ache?

GuntyMcGee Tue 31-Oct-17 09:32:41

Baby being in a posterior position can sometimes lead to a lengthened labour as your womb tries to turn baby and can mean that you're likely to get more back pain in labour. It's not an ideal position but is a variation on normal.

There are things you can do to help encourage baby to turn its back towards your front.
Any position where your knees are below your hips will tilt your pelvis forwards and gravity will encourage the heaviest part of baby (back of head and spine) to rotate round. Slouching on modern soft furnishings is a big cause of back to back positions so sitting upright, using gum balls or better yet, spending a lot of time in hands and knees position may help.

Google the Spinning Babies website - lots of ideas and tricks on there to help turn baby and get it into a nice anterior position with the head flexed ready for labour.

ShowOfHands Tue 31-Oct-17 09:38:25

It is a normal position and some women report little difference between posterior and anterior labours. Mine were both back to back. One labour v painful, the other utterly painless.

I tried everything to turn them but nothing worked. Often they turn in labour. Some just prefer being back to back.

Have a go at moving them but don't worry unduly.

ShowOfHands Tue 31-Oct-17 09:38:35

It is a normal position and some women report little difference between posterior and anterior labours. Mine were both back to back. One labour v painful, the other utterly painless.

I tried everything to turn them but nothing worked. Often they turn in labour. Some just prefer being back to back.

Have a go at moving them but don't worry unduly.

ValentineFizz Tue 31-Oct-17 17:00:39

I'm 38+5 and mine's been posterior at last few checks, MW said to try and encourage it to turn by using gym ball, keeping upright, doing lots of walking and letting gravity help it get into better position but didn't seem overly concerned either....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now