Talk

Advanced search

Prams and dogs in the car

(12 Posts)
Loosemoose28 Mon 30-Oct-17 21:51:25

So had a reality check in that a pram seems to take up my whole boot.

We are looking for a new car before baby is born (due April) but wondering how do you fit a pram and dogs in the car?!

Currently have an estate although its quite compact. But I have two labrador cross's (27kg and 35kg) and not sure if even in a bigger car they would fit in boot with a pram.

We are looking at a vw Passat for next car.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on how to fit dogs + pram in a boot? For now just one baby so thinking pram chassis in boot, bed part on back seat maybe?!?

Hopefully will use a sling but there will be times I will need to use a pram I imagine.

BentleyBelly Tue 31-Oct-17 09:25:48

I have a Rav4 and same problem. Can't use the back seat as we have 2 children. The buggy bit of the pram fits in upright with the dog next to it but until baby is in that without the carry cot the dog is staying at home unless we take 2 cars!! Considering getting a crate for my husband's estate to separate dog and pram but he isn't keen.

Foggymist Tue 31-Oct-17 09:35:50

We only have one dog (28kg) and a VW Golf, buggy takes up whole boot. Dog used to be harnessed into one side of back seat and baby's car seat was in the front seat (for reasons not relating to the dog). You'll need a preeeetty big boot to fit two Labradors and even just a buggy chassis. We end up taking two cars now that ds is in the back seat.

NC1990 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:37:01

I think you'd be hard-pushed to find a way of getting two large dogs and a buggy in the boot of any car tbh! We have two 10kg Spaniels and they will be harnessed into the backseat when baby arrives in 2 weeks. They are in a crate in the boot at the moment but we still can't fit the pram chassis in beside it (and it's an SUV so fairly big boot). I don't imagine we will have both dogs and pram in the car at the same time very often though, so I'm not too concerned.

Would a roof box work? My Dad always had one for our cars growing up. I know you also get boot separators so you could have half for pram and half for dogs, but not sure if that would be too tight for two Labs?

Loosemoose28 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:24:30

Hmmm heres hoping me and baby master the art of carrying which I plan to for dog walking anyway as we walk very rural. I guess the main times I will need a Pram and dogs will be when visiting our parents (both big journeys away). Dogs always come with us. Was chatting to OH last night he has a big work transit and he said we could get a crate for inside the van and then space isnt an issue in there and maybe use that if we need to go out with a pram and dogs.

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Tue 31-Oct-17 11:32:29

You can get a dog guard which goes down the middle of the boot to split it into two sections (size adjustable) so dogs on one side buggy on the other.
A lie flat buggy will probably take least room as no separate seat/cot unit

NapQueen Tue 31-Oct-17 11:35:14

Have you purchased the pram yet? If not look at the Mamas and Papas Armadillo flip xt. It folds so so small you would be able to put it into the footwell behind one of the front seats.

welshweasel Tue 31-Oct-17 11:39:24

Just get a buggy that will fit behind the front seats in the footwell and don't bother with a carrycot. So long as the buggy goes flat it will be fine. I wouldn't want to put the buggy in a boot full of dog hair anyway!

WrittenandGrown Tue 31-Oct-17 12:32:14

My plan is dog harnessed on front seat, baby in the back and pram in the boot when there is just one adult in the car. It's where he usually rides now and I like that I can keep an eye on him with the baby in the car; when my DH is with us either him or the dog will be in the back but there will be another adult to keep an eye on the dog baby situation.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 31-Oct-17 12:34:49

Get a cheap second buggy for at your mum’s!

Santawontbelong Tue 31-Oct-17 12:36:39

Roof box is great for a muddy pram.
Though tbh would prefer to stick all manky ddogs up there!!
Maybe if we punched some air holes in?!

user1478902502 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:19:50

We put the dog in the boot, the pushchair chassis in the footwell behind the drivers seat and use the car seat on it or the baby carrier if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now