Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy pillows. Help pls.

(19 Posts)
Shehz21 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:13:41

Need help!
I currently 19+4 and have a pretty big bump already.
Sleep has basically become non existent last couple of weeks. I wake up in the middle of the night with tailbone pain and hips pain. I have read that pregnancy pillows can help a lot but also know most of those are for shorter women than me(I am 5'9).
Could anyone please suggest a pregnancy pillow that can help me regain some of my sanity aka sleep?! sad

SemperTemper Mon 30-Oct-17 14:17:59

I just stuck a normal pillow between my knees. It was an older pillow and a bit flat so I folded it over to make it wider.

SemperTemper Mon 30-Oct-17 14:18:47

My friend gave me a Dream Genii (sp) but my normal pillow was less of a faff.

Shehz21 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:19:26

@SemperTemper
Did it help at all with the body aches?

Expectingbsbunumber2 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:18:14

I got mine off amazon. Best thing I've bought. I can't remember what it's called though. Totally worth getting one

SemperTemper Mon 30-Oct-17 15:28:35

It helped me get comfortable. I was lucky enough not to have any serious pain during pregnancy. I hope you find something that helps.

olicat Mon 30-Oct-17 18:14:28

I'm with you, finding pillow between the knees just isn't cutting it. My main concern is spending a decent amount of money on it and then it not actually helping!

TheFairyCaravan Mon 30-Oct-17 18:22:50

I still sleep with body pillows and my youngest is almost 21 because my hips are so bad.

You can get huge V shape ones from EBay Here. These are great but they are massive pita when you want to change the pillow case!

I've learnt the cheapest way, and the most selection, is to go to Dunelm and buy their bolster pillows. They actually last longer than the specific "pregnancy" ones too.

Sometimes you can buy different length ones on eBay.

Shehz21 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:57:20

@Fairy Thank you for the tip! Will defo look into it!

@Oli m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PharMeDoc-Full-Body-Pillow-U-Shaped-Pregnancy-Pillow-Maternity-Support-/351112923692
After much research, this one seems to be the best one to invest in.

helly29 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:17:49

I'm 5'9 too - I've got the theraline one and it's really helped. Makes not being able to sleep on the my stomach much better!

Sparky888 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:58:26

A second vote for Theraline - it's got beads in it, so you can re-arrange and change the height to always suit. Love it.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 30-Oct-17 21:48:04

I have a giant Sanggol pregnancy pillow and it is the best thing in my life right now. It takes up about three quarters of the bed so dh hates it but I would choose the pillow over him any day! grin

DaisyLand Mon 30-Oct-17 21:55:27

I’ve got the dreamgenii. It’s good for belly but I’ve felt that my left hip- ligaments were achy the morning after so last night I slept on my right and felt much better this morning. I might swap once in a while to the right to rest my left side.

I got it from amazon, was £35 I believe

teabagfreak Tue 31-Oct-17 07:32:54

I have been using my own pillow between knees but been considering buying a large pregnancy pillow, so just to try out before spending a lot more money I bought one at weekend (L shaped) from ikea, 7 quid and 3 quid for case and I’ve slept amazing since.

filou87 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:32:35

Bb hugme from Scandiborn has helped me sleep with SPD. It is a long sausage shape filled with beads and adjusts at either end, you can also make it doughnut shaped to lie on your front. Designed by midwives and chiropractors. It's expensive but so worth it. I've used since week 12 and it adapts into a feeding pillow too.

Shehz21 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:04:49

Thank you for all the helpful recommendations ladies! I am looking into each one of them and will get one by the end of the week most probably.
The hips and tailbone pain are a real nightmare. Plus lower back pain is slowly creeping into that routine.
Grim.

Loosemoose28 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:04:25

Has your back been looked at? I have just bought a pillow from mothercare today, I have always had SI joint problems just starting to twinge in tail bone.

Shehz21 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:00:49

@Loosemoose28 May I ask which pillow u got from mothercare?
No I haven't had it looked at. Would a chiropractor be worth it or just buying a pregnancy pillow help? The latter would cost less...

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 15:31:36

I didn't get on with pregnancy pillows either, mainly because i toss and turn so much they're a faff to move in the night.

Best comfy position for me was using one of those V shaped pillows to lay my head on (V in upside down position) and then an ordinary pillow laid along side me that I could prop my leg up on. Sounds weird but worked for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now