Talk

Advanced search

'muffled' movements at 22 weeks?

(10 Posts)
Mumbofeet Mon 30-Oct-17 08:27:37

Baby's movements have been quite noticeable the last couple of weeks but since last night i think they've been more 'muffled' if that makes sense? Like I think i can feel them but I have to really concentrate. Has anyone else had this or is there any reason for it?
I did ring the midwives but they just brushed it off as I'm 'only' 22 weeks and made me feel stupid for ringing.

Swan8 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:40:32

I’m also 22 weeks. When I asked my obstetrician last week whether to be worried that some days I would feel strong kicks and sometimes nothing or very soft movements he said it was too early to worry - there is a lot of room in there at the moment so sometimes the baby will be in a position where you don’t feel much or anything. For the last couple of days I felt very muffled movements. Then yesterday at lunch I had for dessert the sort of cake that I suspect gives you diabetes just by looking at it - last night I felt a LOT of kicks! I don’t recommend it as the healthiest way of feeling movement though!

littlemissalwaystired Mon 30-Oct-17 08:45:23

I wouldn't be too concerned at 22 weeks, babies normally develop their own regular pattern of movements after about 24 weeks. If you're really concerned you could ask to see your community midwife for her to listen to the heartbeat if that would reassure yousmile

Mumbofeet Mon 30-Oct-17 08:50:06

Thanks for your replies they've reassured me a bit. The midwife was so rude when i asked her, i know they have to look at things objectively but this is my baby not just a '22 weeker' angry I'll keep an eye out over the next few days, hopefully she'll be waking me up again tonight with her wriggling lol

user1484167681 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:11:46

I did some antenatal yoga around 22 weeks and the movements really changed after that, and became muffled like you say. I think it was just a coincidence, but I didn't enjoy the change- although didn't contact midwife as I assumed I'd be sent packing, so early on. Movements returned in full force a week or two later, and now disturb my sleep! Hopefully you'll be fine, try not to worry smile

Pollymae1991 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:30:46

If you are worried book and appointment with GP they will be able to listen in to baby's heart. You should get any change in movement checked although I don't think the hospital will do anything about it until you are over 28 weeks but your GP can monitor the heart for peace of mind.

Do you have an anterior placenta? (Should tell you in your notes, sonographer should have told you at 20 week scan) anterior is at the front which is what I have, because my placenta is at the front my movements feel "muffled" as well, as if something is blocking him from moving and people with anterior placentas have more a problem feeling movements than those with placentas at the back.

Please get checked though if you are worried, you're wasting no ones time at all and never feel silly. There is too many people out there making women feel "silly" for "bothering" health care staff. It's their job, it's what they are paid for and what you pay your NI for x

DeadDoorpost Mon 30-Oct-17 16:33:18

My movements altered when he flipped round and I had to get used to feeling them again. I also have an anterior placenta that muffled them anyway so when I went in to be monitored for reduced movements (had barely felt him move for 3 days) it was a combination of dehydration and his new position. This was a bit further along than you though.

Mumbofeet Mon 30-Oct-17 17:12:27

No my placenta is posterior. Felt some stronger movements throughout the day so feeling better, thank you for all your comments, you are much more supportive than the health professionals have been today. I guess pregnancy just gets you in training for how much you're gonna worry when baby's born!

Tortoise22 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:07:08

Hi Mumbo I know exactly what you mean when you say the movements have gone muffled! I'm now 26 weeks but between 22 - 24 weeks I would have days when I felt loads of really strong movements and then days when I would feel hardly any at all. It's really difficult when my midwives have been reinforcing how important it is to get to know the pattern when there doesn't seem to be much of one! The last week or so I have been feeling some more consistent movements so I just hope that they continue to get stronger.

Mumbofeet Tue 31-Oct-17 10:15:13

I know they say get to know the pattern but when you tell them its changed they say its too early! After a full day of stressing about it yesterday me and OH were lay in bed and he felt her kick for the first time! Think she was trying to prove a point that she's definitely still here haha she's back to full force today so I guess there'll just be days where she's a bit quieter! Although she does seem to have stopped moving so much through the night, lets hope she's learning what night and day is for when she arrives haha smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now