Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Postpartum hair loss???

(16 Posts)
lovely36 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:49:47

It's been almost 3 months since I've given birth and have noticed my hair is just coming off like crazy. Every time I brush it, I pull out large amounts of hair. sad I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if there something to fix it? Or if anyone knows if its common/normal.. lack of vitamins?

HopeAndJoy16 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:54:11

Yep totally normal! It's to do with a drop in hormones I think. I made the mistake of having an Indian head massage whilst it was particularly bad, the poor therapist had handfuls of my hair come out blush. It did stop around the 5 month mark. I didn't take any vitamins or do anything special, so don't know if they helps things at all.

allinclusive Sun 29-Oct-17 21:55:48

Perfectly normal unfortunately. It’s the final indignity of pregnancy.
I think it’s the hair that wasn’t shed during pregnancy that all falls out at once afterwards.

Have faith, it will grow back. In tufts.

I believe biotin shampoo and supplements help, hopefully someone who knows a lot more will be on soon.

For me having the longest hair cut off helped as it was the oldest.

Hang in there xx

SemperTemper Sun 29-Oct-17 21:58:12

I'm in the middle of this right now. It started at 10 weeks PP. Wondering when it will stop.

ByTheNine Sun 29-Oct-17 21:58:35

Make sure you're getting enough iron - anaemia can cause hair loss and you're likely to be running low, especially if you are breastfeeding.

Rinceoir Sun 29-Oct-17 21:58:55

Totally normal. It will settle down but might take some time. If you have extremely thick hair to begin with like I do it’s a good idea to invest in some drain unblocker!

RaeSkywalker Sun 29-Oct-17 22:01:33

Ah yes! It is normal and it does stop... Though then you get re-growth: DS is 1 next week, and I’m currently sporting lovely little tufts at my temples where it’s growing back.
I had my hair cut to a very short bob whilst in the midst of it all, which definitely made the hair loss feel less dramatic.

Boringnamechange1 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:22:11

Mine was coming out in big clumps as well I also found it at its worst around 3/4 months. I'm almost 6 months pp now and it's eased.

lovely36 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:41:33

Thanks ladies.. can't wait for it to stop. hmm

DeadDoorpost Mon 30-Oct-17 00:50:03

Curious about this: will it still happen if I've been loso g hair like mad during the pregnancy? I've got thick hair anyway but while other women I know had lovely shiny hair and it didn't seem to come out during pregnancy, my hair has come out more than it usually does.
Not that I'm worried about it happening. The less hair I have the lighter my head is. Just purely curious about it

Rhynswynd Mon 30-Oct-17 02:11:55

I got so sick of my hair loss last time that I shaved my head for charity. I won't be doing that again. It is not like I had patchy bald spots or anything...just got the shits with losing my hair. So I took control. Never again.

flumpybear Mon 30-Oct-17 03:41:07

I think it’s biochemical - hair has a cycle of growth and death, all hair cells are independent and grow differently usually but strangely starts to align when pregnant .... hence losing a lot all at once - it’ll stop soon enough don’t worry

Lozmatoz Mon 30-Oct-17 03:54:09

Common, normal, expected. When my babies hit 3 months, my hair loss catches up with itself

Boringnamechange1 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:39:13

DeadDoorpost mine fell out in pregnancy as well and as I mentioned has only just stopped at almost 6 months. Also another strange thing that happened to me was after I gave birth all of my body hair turned extremely thin and light (I'm dark haired so have to shave legs/underarms every few days). Sadly that didn't last more than a couple of weeks but it was very strange I never experienced it first time around and no one else I've spoken to has.

xhannahx Mon 30-Oct-17 09:40:43

Totally normal, lost so much hair after DD, it's now all short around my crowd as it's started to grow back.

Already expecting #2 so good only knows the mess my hair will be in after this one!

DeadDoorpost Mon 30-Oct-17 14:17:48

Boringnamechange1 ah, thanks. Yeah that is a bit odd that it changed. I'm interested to see what happens. Like I said, I'm not really worried about it, I was just curious to see if it would do the opposite.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: