Talk

Advanced search

Will I get SMP

(7 Posts)
Nat199082 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:41:44

Hi smile

Was hoping someone could shed some light for me, I have just found out I am pregnant and after a miscarriage in August this is very much wanted ❤️

The only thing is I started a new job 1 month ago and am still in my probationary period

I don’t plan on telling them till 12 weeks which means I will be one month past 3 month probationary period but now I’m worried I won’t get any statutory maternity pay, tried to google but It’s all confused me a bit... any help would be really appreciated x

EvilCleverDog Sun 29-Oct-17 21:45:37

Easy way to work it out is, were you working for them on the date of you lmp? If yes you will get SMP, if not, you won’t.

LaBelleSausage Sun 29-Oct-17 21:47:37

It really depends how pregnant you are.

If you started before week 1 of pregnancy and earn at least £113 a week then I think you would just qualify.

You have to have worked there for 26 weeks before your 25th week of pregnancy ends, so it can get s bit confusing.

There’s a chance that you would narrowly miss out though

Nat199082 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:08:31

Thanks for the reply’s... Sorry what does Imp mean? I don’t know how far along I am but I’m guessing about 2 weeks as I ovulated just over two weeks ago... so anxious about this now 😫 I imagine I won’t really know the answer until I have my dating scan so I can see how far along I am ...

NC1990 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:23:10

If you had already started in your new job when you got your last period (i.e. the date they will use to date your pregnancy) then I imagine you should qualify for SMP providing the dates match up at your 12-week scan.

But don't panic because if you don't qualify for SMP then you can still claim maternity allowance if you meet the criteria for that. Mat allowance is pretty much the same as SMP but without the first 6 weeks at 90%.

Nat199082 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:27:59

Oh really? That’s reassuring I will do some research into that smile

I’ve had one period at this new job which began a few days after I started. Thank you for the advice really appreciated

EvilCleverDog Sun 29-Oct-17 22:43:58

Lmp is your last menstrual period. If you had it whilst you were at your job you qualify for SMP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now